Neutered Male Bunny still acting out hormonal behaviours.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allibelle

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm having an ongoing issue with my 4 year old Male Rabbit, he was desexed at about 9 months old and once litter trained never strayed far from it.

Unfortunately in the last 12 months he's developed amorous behavior, first towards my husband and then towards me (My husband has been with me well before we got our bun so he's not a new presence).
Bunny is circling and spraying multiple times a day, sometimes the only way to get him to stop is to put him in his pen. He has also developed a tendency to bite my husband (the main object of his affections) if he is not getting attention from him. (it ranges from a nip to a very aggressive lunge).
Up untill 12 months ago we didn't have any significant behavioral issues and we assume the affection developed because my husband and myself were spending more time at home with him as our working arrangements changed.

My main question is, if he's desexed, how can I curb the spraying and biting? We don't mind the circling or wanting attention, we love him and want to be able to play with him but it's getting out of hand. We have looked into getting him a mate but with the aggression he's showing my partner we're really concerned about her safety while bonding.

Thanks for any advice!

How long ago did you neuter him? Sometimes it takes a few weeks for the hormones to calm down

We have looked into getting him a mate but with the aggression he's showing my partner we're really concerned about her safety while bonding.

I would suggest making contact with a rabbit rescue (different than generic shelter) and explain your concerns. I suspect they would think getting a companion would be a good option for your boy.

Another rabbit will "speak" bunny. So if you can find a compatible spayed female, it is likely she won't be subject to any aggression because she will be able to understand him and react accordingly. (at least once they are bonded. It is a process.) He's acting out now because he isn't getting the attention he's after (as you mentioned), and that attention is likely just what the bondmate would provide. He seems to be after more than he is used to (for some reason).

If the rescue is aware of his behavior, they can help suggest likely candidates with which to attempt bonding. They can offer suggestion too and they typically allow exchanges if one attempt doesn't work out.

Latest posts

Back