Neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malo

Reaction score
My mom called around looking for places toneuter Whisper. I found a place close by that charges $93 a few weeksago. Well, my mom called every number in the phone book (and even onesthey gave us) and they all require a checkup beforehand, and the totalcomes out to $180 for the checkup and surgery.

:shock: I only have 55 dollars in my neuter-the-bunny fund, now Im not sure if he is ever going to get his cookies removed :(

That actually makes sense. Back when Iworked at a vet (just cats and dogs), before any surgery, the vet wouldlike to see the animal first to make sure they are healthy enough forthe surgery. My cat had to have her teeth cleaned and becauseshe is almost 20 years old, she had to have some bloodwork done to makesure that her kidneys and such were okay. It would beterrible to take your bun in to get fixed and something terrible happenbecause of something that he could have caught with a pre surgery checkup.

$180 for a checkup and surgery for a neuteringsounds like a lot of money to me. Make sure when they dohave him checkedout, you make them check everything: hiseyes, ears,teeth, heart,leg movement, feel forlumps/bumps, weight, anything you can thinkof.I had to ask the vet to go through mychecklist. If you're spending the money and he's in there,you might as well make it worthwhile.

It cost me $62 for a neutering and that included the overnightstay. Had a good vet too.I realize that'scheaper than most, but $180 for a neuter seems way overpriced to me.

I'd keep shopping around.

-Carolyn

I know it seems like a lot of money, but itsnot.. you have to look at it like two separate issues ... noone isgoing to take in a non-exsisting patient and put them right under theknife and if any vet office agrees to that .. high tail youre way rightout of there!

$93 for the nueter itself is pretty cheap..my vet charges $140

and regular visits are $60

....find yourself a vet first get established and work on saving moneyfor Whisper's neuter. Having his boys snipped isnt an immediate issuewhere if he doesnt have it done soon something bad will come of it.When you do find a vet you like, you can ask to speak to office managerabout being on a payment plan to pay for his neuter or if you have thetime you can offer volunteer services in exchange if you really want toget him done asap. good luck! :)

Agreed that the checkup is necessary. The following is some advice given by Buck Jones regarding spaying costs.

Depends upon the vet and where you live...and what traffic will bear,in my opinion. The prices you quote are in linewith costs here in metropolitan NJ, but I've seen quotes as low as$40.00-$80.00 for the same procedures in other places in other states.

We get neuterings done through the auspices of a local organizationcalled Animal Birth Control, Inc. It "brokers" reasonablycosting procedures with local vets for pet owners, but one must use thevet it contracts. As its contracted veterinary office is ourveterinary office of choice, it is a win/win situation forus. Perhaps, you may have a chapter of ABC in your locale.

On occasion, local SPCA's offer free neuterings, or nominally costingones, anyway. Your local animal control department may alsoprovide such a service, or can provide information pointing you inright direction. I would check local resourcesbefore spending that kind of money you quoted , unless the expense isnot a problem for you.

Animal Birth Control, Inc.,probably could tell you if achapter was located nearby yourlocation.Our local newspaper alsosuggested another national organization, SPAY/USA at (800)-SPAY, forinformation leading to affordableservices.

Buck

$180.00 isnt awfully muchconcidering , If the Rabbit hasnt been vetted prior to there is allthings need to be done , includingfecal samples , think of this scenerio .

Vet takes in your rabbit puts it underand wham all of a sudden somethinggoes wrong , no prior vetchecked wouldnt have found this , but aprecheck vetting would have said no wecant do this thing now, something isntright .

All Rabbits should bbe Vet checked .

ALL Rabbits should have a Vet check before any surgery .

Okay, well I looked at the phone book where mymom was taking notes and I found some cheaper places. I agree that itis a good idea to get him vet checked prior, it is just that the localone said nothing about a checkup when I called.

Im going to talk to my mom about it, see if she can help pay.

If I get to bring him to the checkup, should I bring a little baggy of droppings?

Actually that isnt a bad price (I'm in the sameboat about getting it done, save save save) the last place I calledwanted 325.00 for the spay(this included the blood work, anesthia(sp),no over night stay here, just come back in 6 hrs to get your bun and68.00 for the check up.

I would think that taking a baggy with droopings might not be a bad idea, and what could it hurt.

bren

brensbunny wrote:
Actually that isnt a bad price (I'm in the same boat aboutgetting it done, save save save) the last place I called wanted 325.00for the spay(this included the blood work, anesthia(sp), no over nightstay here, just come back in 6 hrs to get your bun and 68.00 for thecheck up.

I would think that taking a baggy with droopings might not be a bad idea, and what could it hurt.

bren
:shock:$325 and no overnight care!!!!! talk about a racket!

Man! Am I glad I'm past the spaying andneutering costs. I'm obviously out of the loop. $93really isn't that bad when you consider what they're doing, but whenyou've paid what I did...still to this day, my vet only charges $70 fora neuter including overnight stays, and considering the prices thatBuck got, I'm sure you can understand my surprise at first upon hearing$180. :shock:

I truly hope you can find someplace safe and affordable,Malo. Don't give up! As Buck said, check with theshelters, etc. Some local breeders might be able to refersomeone or know of someone that you can check with as well.

:clover:

-Carolyn

I'm just glad that you're being responsible and a good bunny slave...er...owner.

We had to pay a lot, $195 Canadian for Abby and Valuran, not includingan overnight stay. This was actually cheaper than a lot of other placesaround here. We like them, even though they are a bit pricey, they arevery, very rabbit savvy. I really grilled the heck out of the vet,which actually ended up impressing him.

Like Carolyn though, I am glad we're past that stage of care for thebuns. If I was still living in VT, my vet there (who my whole familygoes to and has for the past 20 years) has great prices. I can'tremember the price, but getting Chompers done was under $100.

I am in agreement with everyone as to him having a full checkup beforegoing under the knife. I'd worry about a vet who would just do aninvasive surgery like that without a prior exam.

My vet does a pre-exam, its costs 30 and Ibelieve the neuters were like 82 each. Keelys spay will bemore like 120 I think.

My vet requires a pre-exam, but it's free exceptfor any related tests that may come out of it. Actually,Loki's first exam was free too. I think my vet likes to dothat for new animals, especially as Loki was adopted from the HumaneSociety from the same city.

The price for the neuter really depends on where you are. Theknowledgable vets around here charge just under $100 (plus blood work,laser incision option, etc.) but the cat-and-dog chop shops wanted muchless.

My vet wanted to see the buns before they werealtered, but just to weigh them and make certain they were old enoughto alter. I got both of my buns done for $200.00total. I had a young woman that was about to enter pre-vetschool. Although it was a tough decision to let this young,green student perform surgery on my babies, it was totally worthit! The actual doctor watched the whole procedure, andpromised to step in if there were complications.

I have to say that I've weighed the cost issue alot. The vet I've been wanting to use and who I know is superhighly recommended and has tons of experience charges around $85 for aspay plus the initial vet visit. So I think the cost comesout to around $130 or so for both. The girl I got Sampsonfrom, who really knew her stuff, recommended her vet. Her vetis someone I've never heard of, but who she's used for years for allkinds of animals, her rabbits and chickens and geeseincluded. He only charges around $50 for the visit and thespay. I'm really thinking I'm going to pay the extra $80 fora vet I know has experience.

Jen

Experience is good but no garauntee.I used avery experienced highly reccomended vet to geld my horse.the job wascarelessly done and my horse has permanent damage.I was present at thetime and later found out what was done wrong.I could have prevented itpossibly had i known ahead of time.research and then go with your gutinstincts.my new vet has less experience but she is more caring.bluebird

Actually, that's what one of the local bun vetscharges here, too--about $175. I'm still working over time to pay forit. I wish some rescue groups could offer discounted spaying andneutering. I've used it a couple of times for cats and it is worth it.

Justinsmom

Actually, some rescue groups do offer low costspay/neuters for rabbits. My local shelter added rabbits totheir spay neuter assistance program about a year ago, so qualifiedpeople (I think they check your income level) can speuter a rabbit foronly $30, and their vet is rabbit savvy.

I do think this is something that will become more common as awarenessincreases. Unfortunately there don't seem to be many of theseprograms for rabbits yet.

when i was back home (in london, not the little mattawa town)where i first got shadow, i had him neutered and only payed maybe 120 for the full thing? i did not leave him there all night, i was not comfy with that. i asked a lot of questions, and got all of the answers easily, but i had this really weird feeling that the woman wasn't rabbit savvy like she said she was. sure she knew what she was saying, but i just felt like it was mostly coming from a book or like second hand info.... everything turned out fine, but i just dint like how the woman was wording everything. she would talk normal, then suddenly get a look on her face like she was trying to remember something from a while ago when she answered a question....

Latest posts

Back