Netherland dwarf making sounds?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamsterdance

Reaction score
Oscar makes a squeakish sort of sound when he breathes sometimes. Not always, probably a few times a day. He is also the only rabbit I own that makes the same tiny sound when I pick him up, although he seems to adore being held and cuddled. When he makes the sound he's usually super relaxed cuddling his bonded female. He is 6 and has had pasturella that he caught from one of my other rabbits. He also has mallocussion in his two top front teeth but the vet trimmed them not long ago and they look good still. She said his other teeth are okay.
He has been doing this since he was adopted from the shelter last March, I've just been noticing it more recently since moving him into my bedroom.
I'm wondering if maybe it is a behavioral thing? Or could he have issues due to the smooshed in face netherland dwarves have? He got done with antibiotics for the pasturella (nebulizer and oral) and seems to be doing well. Do you think it's related to that?
Any thoughts/ideas would be helpful :)
Thanks!

Its a hard thing to answer
It could just be weird noises he makes because he is an animal and their all unique
But because of his history keep an eye out for any symptoms that would lead you to believe he is having issues health wise.
But I wouldn't immediately point fingers if he looks and acts healthy and just makes odd noises sometimes.

Harvey makes squeaky noises sometimes too, when he's breathing. Shes a Flemish Giant. I've been trying to figure out what makes her do it but it's tough to figure out since she does it so seldom. I was thinking possibly it was the position she's in. She fell asleep in a weird position in my arms once and was doing it in her sleep, like a squeaky snore. I hope more people chime in about this.

I've heard Cali breathe like that too. We all get a whistle in our nose every now and then, so I don't worry. There are no accompanying symptoms, I guess bunnies can't just sniff it away like we can.

Hi hamsterdance--Im no vet, but I did have a ND who sometimes made what sounded to me like labored breathing. My vet and I finally came around to it being due to the breed's squished face. I was afraid of an upper respiratory infection but he never showed any other suspicious signs or symptoms. Your little one sounds so sweet---makes me miss my darling Kabluey even more.

Latest posts

Back