nest

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosalie

Reaction score
If ur rabbit doesn't make a nest is it ok to put a soft blanket in the bottom of a nesting box and see if she makes one or what should i do

when is your rabbit due? i've had some bunnies not make a nest until they are just about ready to deliver. just put the nest box in with a bunch of hay or straw and hopefully she should get in there and start digging around to make a nest. she should start to pull fur also and put in the nest as time gets closer.

babies.jpg

No. Their eyes aren't open yet. When they open the babies start to explore and climb out of the nestbox more than they will stay in. You can use hay and pull out some of moms fur from either her dewlap or if she is molting/shedding brush her out and put it on top of the hay with the babies on top of both.

I made a nest and she climbed in there and ate the hay and used it as a litter box and i don't think she is feeding them and:(

Rosalie wrote:
I made a nest and she climbed in there and ate the hay and used it as a litter box and i don't think she is feeding them and:(
She's a first time Mom. This is all normal. Keep putting in the hay and keep cleaning up after Mom if she is using the nest box as a litter box.

Regarding feeding, check their bellies. Mother Rabbits only feed their babies twice a day. You need to check their bellies. If they are nice and round, they ate.

Hopefully someone who has dealt with a first time mom can give you more helpful advise. I'm only going on what I've read from others.

It tough with first time Moms. You don't know how they are going to react or how well they will tend to their babies.

You are doing everything you can. Hopefully someone with more "on hands" experience will help you regarding feeding.

K :)

Rosalie wrote:
Their bellies don't look full is why i don't think she is feeding them
I would consult another member or vet who has this experience. I'm quite a few months away from this experience. I've only read.

So talk to someone who's been there. I would call the Vet if you don't get a quick reply here from someone with experience.

Baby bunnies go down real fast so you need to act quick on this if Mom is not feeding.

K :)

I wish there was a foster mom you could take the babies to. You might want to give them some supplement food. If she isn't feeding them they wont last longer than 48 hours. Check their bellies right before you go to bed or in the earlier or late morning. If their bellies aren't full then that could mean she is feeding at a different time or that she isn't feeding at all in which case if they dont get anything they won't make it longer than 2 days.

Edit: you could try holding her over the babies if she doesnt kick so they can get food and try feeding them that way. I have never done that before so hopefully someone can say more about how you do it.

Bunnies can be bottle fed in instances where the mother does not feed them, but I have to warn you now that it is very difficult and time consuming and the success rate is extremely low. If this is something you are prepared to do, you will need to make sure you have the correct supplies: either goat's milk or KMR replacement formula with a small bottle and plenty of towels and LOTS of time.

i got lots of time .. i tried feeding them but im not sure what im doing wrong and also i tried making sophie lay down and feed them but they arent good at latching on

Latest posts

Back