nest clean out??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookiemonster

Reaction score
what is the best way to clean out a nest box??? I am wanting to clean out my babies nest box as it is starting to get wet...

Hm, take the wet stuff out, replace it with soft, dry hay?

I put a layer of cardboard under the hay, makes it easier to clean out.

should I put them in a separate box??? the whole box needs to be cleaned.. Also the mom seems to be stressed out today when i checked the babies out... one of the babies has its one eye open... when do they start hopping out of the nest??

Last edited:
You can put them in another box while you clean out the nest box. Just put a towel or something under them. Just be careful handling them as they are very squirmy and can pop right out of your hand.

Remove any soiled hay and bedding. Try and keep as much of the dry unsoiled bedding as you can, particularly the fur. You need to keep as much fur as you can so they still have it to keep warm and nestle under.

They start hopping out of the nest around when their eyes open, about 10-14 days old. If their nest is in a box, when they start wandering out of the nest, they may not be able to get back in. So you will need to make some changes so they can still get back into the nest to snuggle. You can see if they will use a step to get back in, or you can turn the nest box on it's side so that it becomes a cubby hole to go into, that they can easily go in and out of.

Mom might be stressed if the babies are getting out now and trying to nurse when she's not ready. My momma bun was frantic when her babies first started coming out. Just make sure she has a place she can go to get away from them. Like a box or shelf to hop up onto.

Take a look at this link as it has lots of info on what to do for baby buns.
http://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

You can put them in another box while you clean out the nest box. Just put a towel or something under them. Just be careful handling them as they are very squirmy and can pop right out of your hand.

Remove any soiled hay and bedding. Try and keep as much of the dry unsoiled bedding as you can, particularly the fur. You need to keep as much fur as you can so they still have it to keep warm and nestle under.

They start hopping out of the nest around when their eyes open, about 10-14 days old. If their nest is in a box, when they start wandering out of the nest, they may not be able to get back in. So you will need to make some changes so they can still get back into the nest to snuggle. You can see if they will use a step to get back in, or you can turn the nest box on it's side so that it becomes a cubby hole to go into, that they can easily go in and out of.

Mom might be stressed if the babies are getting out now and trying to nurse when she's not ready. My momma bun was frantic when her babies first started coming out. Just make sure she has a place she can go to get away from them. Like a box or shelf to hop up onto.

Take a look at this link as it has lots of info on what to do for baby buns.
http://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm
when is it to early to take the nest box out?

Any earlier then 2 weeks old is too early to take nest box away, I leave mine till 3 weeks but that is quite late and should be done earlier...
Clean it out at 2 weeks, but make sure there is lots of hay and warm nest remade for buns to snuggle in and keep warm.

Latest posts

Back