nest box help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosalie

Reaction score
ok soooo today is the 28-29th day in her pregnancy and she hasnt made a nest herself I made one and put it in there and she just ate the hay and used it as a litterbox she has been in a really bad mood running away from me to the back of her cage and she grunted at me when i started to rub her head =s how do i keep her from using the nesting box as a litter box =s

Short of taking the nestbox out, you can't. If you're sure she's pregnant just keep it clean and keep providing hay. I usually put some in the nestbox and some outside. When they're ready they'll usually start gathering it in their mouth and making a nest with the hay and fur.

she has two litterboxes in her condo already i think she just enjoys this one because she can actually get all the way into it and the others have a grate thing on top she has to stand on i've cleaned it out a few times and i put some hay in a basket in there and she knocks it over and spreads it around her pen and wees oon it and as for breing pregnant I'm pretty sure she is but not 100% I know she is acting completely different really moody and I know she's been around a male

well i took the hay out of the nesting box and she hasnt used it as a litter box for 5 hours now she still hops in it but hasnt went in it yet i pulled a few hairs out to see if that would get her started but she still aint made a nest so as of now i have a towl in the bottom and a bit of fluff in there that i got from her hoping to show her thats how you do it not going to put anymore hay in there i think thats what was causing her to confuse it with a litter box i turned the heat up in the room and her whole floor of her cage has blankets so if for some reason she was to have them out of the box maybe they would stay warm until i find them

Some rabbits dont make a nest until they give birth. Just give her time and be patient and try to keep the box clean. Good luck!

Understand your nervousness. First time pregnancies, for both Rabbits and Humans, are a little stressful, to say the least.

Regarding her nest box, this being her first time, she many not understand the nest box. Believe me, I've never had a litter so I'm going by what I've read and researched.

You best bet is to observe, like others have suggested. Some does are diligent with their kits for their first litter. And others are oblivious. Some are good nest builders and some are not. This being her first litter, she doesn't know nor do you how she will do.

Just be patience. And observe and help her with the nest once the babies are here if the nest isn't completed.

Wishing you all the best. Please let us know how she does.

K

Make sure to observe, but it sounds like you might me messing with her a bit too much. Your intentions are good, of course, but if you keep going in there and changing things around you might make her more anxious. Best to just sit tight at this point and keep watch, and THEN step in if need be. :)

Good luck! Can't wait for baby pics!

well i dont want her to have them in filth wish she would leave the stuff alone and i was told by the vet to pull a few hairs and put them in there to see if that would get her started

So any news? Any babies yet? How's Sophie doing?

Wishing you all the luck with this first pregnancy.

K :)

Should be babies by now, unless your calculations were off. Hope everything went well!

Latest posts

Back