Nervous and Excited...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weetwoo_89

Reaction score
So today I have decided that I am going to try to convince my mother that I am responsible enough to get a bunny (before I move out). Depending on what time I get home from my boyfriend's, I may ask her tomorrow. I really believe that I am responsible enough to do this. I have been doing research for sometime. I don't have any money, as I don't have a job. But I do have the second best thing: a significant other that said he would pay for everything until I got a job. I did point out to him that it might end up being a bit of money, or more if something bad happened and the poor lil guy/girl had to go to the vet. But right now is a good time I think. I don't have a job, only school, so if I got one at this point,I could spend lots of time with it and it would get to know me, whereas later it might be harder between work and college (not that it wouldn't get spoiled rotten anyways, but I think right now would be a good time). I have the cage and ideas already planned out, but I have a few concerns. Will the little one be bored out of its mind during the day without a partner in crime, if you will? Because I would only get one while I am still living with my mom (It is a room issue). Also,sometime towards the beginning of next year I will be moving. I am sure the bun would be fine as it is only roughly 30 from where I am now (at least I hope it would). So I have two real questions: 1. What would you do in my shoes? and 2. if you have moved (or shipped a bunny) how well did it handle the move? Were there any long-lasting adverse effects?
<3, Rae

As for moving...if you're only moving half an hour away, it would be no problem at all for the bunny. Many buns have moved much further. I bought my bun last weekend, and that was about an hour from my place, and he recovered very well (considering he was moving to a new home with new people!!)

Not sure about the bunny getting bored...I guess it would, but I suppose there are plenty of single buns out there who have to survive without their people for a few hours a day!! You could always give it a cuddly toy to snuggle up to :) Also, make sure it has plenty of toys so it can entertain itself!!

Cheers
Fiona

That's what I was thinking, just give him/her a ton of toys and snuggles when I can. I guess I am hoping to hear from some people with just one bunny, or one bunny in a cage by itself and how it worked out for them. Even though, technically I would have room for two littler ones here, I know if I can get any at all, I would only be allowed one. Which is lame. There will be two fights:To get a bun and to let it stay inside. When I was little I had a large bunny they kept in a tiny cage outside all the time. I never knew that bunnies couldn't be in the heat. I remember 90-100 degree weather and that poor bun was stuck in a tiny cage. I won't keep another of my bunnies outside only, for two reasons. I don't have hutch and won't be able to get one, and I want to spend as much time with it as possible.Hoping to hear more.
<3, RaE

I have two different males that live by themselves. One's a 4 year old blind netherland dwarf mix who isn't neutered (and can't be due to health problems) and the other is Harper(my screen-name-sake) who is neutered, but just a plain:censored2:who really enjoys living alone. However, he has a really huge cage, and unlike the other bunnies who stay in a spare bedroom, Harper stays in my room. He gets tons of attention throughout the day (and well into the night sometimes :rollseyes). He also has a ridiculous amount of toys. I took a picture of him for a friend awhile back and she burst out laughing. She said in the picture, she counted 14 toys in his cage. My reply: that's only one side of his cage, you haven't seen the other yet!

So it can be do-able, if you have a very nice size cage, and plenty of stimulating toys for them to play with. Both of my boy's who are single bachelor's living alone are quite happy, but they also get tons and tons of interaction and free run around time in the house.

I would include Chance in this story, except he's very bonded to me.Wherever I go, Chance goes, and he gets the run of the entire house.He's only caged when we're gone or in bed -- so he really doesn't count. But yeah, he has too many toys too. :craziness

So what I am seeing here, is that if they have plenty of room in their cage, and run around time with lots of things to keep them busy while I am, they will be fine? I have decided that I am going to wait for a better time to ask my mom. I just got home and she is watching tv with my step dad (who generally causes my mom to tell me "no" when I ask her things.) So I am going to get my room cleaned up and re-organized and then calmly explain that I think that I am ready for the responsibility and that it wouldn't cost her any money. I don't think I have a very good chance,probably like 25% yes, 75% no. But maybe if I keep bugging her about it and continue to show that I am ready to have a bunny (despite the fact that all I hear is that I am irresponsible, even though I am an A-B student in AP classes and help out around the house and with the animals when I can. It is hard though, because whenever I offer to do something for one of them (Ex: wash the big dog, Riley) she says no but doesn't give me a reason why not. She is going to make it difficult but I seriously want a bunny and don't want to wait til next year...) Also anyone who has ever had to convince their parent(s) that they were ready for a pet, how did you do it?
<3, Rae

Oh, one more question -- is your boyfriend working? You sound like you're going to make an incredible bunny mom! I just want to make sure that your boyfriend and you will have enough money for all the necessities, like quality food, good hay, and a variety of vegetables. These are all on-going costs, and they can get quite pricy over time.

Yes, he has a job. At a daycare. You should see him with all those little kids. So cute. Though that fact is like the fact that he absolutely loves lop-eared rabbits: I am not supposed to tell anyone as I think it embarrasses him a bit. :D

Awww, well I'm glad he has a good stable job and you guys can properly afford the bunnies. You both are going to make great bunny parents! Let us know what your mom says when you ask her!Judging by your conversations and how much thought and time you've put into this, and the amount of research you've done, my opinion is your are very prepared and responsible enough to get a rabbit and take great care of one. I hope she see's this as well and says yes!

Thanks for the support guys, and MBH, I really hope she says yes as well. *crosses fingers, toes, and anything else she can get crossed* My plans are to ask her sometime tomorrow as she said something about a girls day out or something. Also, MBH are you using NIC panels? If so how big are your bachelor pads?:D

Good luck! You sound like you are going to make a great bunny mom (and dad).

My boy Basil was a single bunny for about 2 years and he was great. I spoiled him rotten and for a while I thought he wouldnt bond with another bunny because hewasbonded to me. He has a buddy now and Im so glad for it, but he was fine by himself as well. As long asyour new bunhas a big pen and lots of toys,he'll be fine while youre in school.

Keep us posted!

I think for a medium sized bunny (5 lbs or so) a 4x2x2 panel is definitely enough room for now, since youre limited in space (actually, you could probably get away with 3x2x2 if he had run time at night)

3x2x2 is what Elvis has and he loves it.

You guys are lifesavers.Truly, I bless the day that I found this forum. Otherwise I would be sitting around daydreaming instead of actually doing the research and going for it.You have never failed me yet, and may that day never come!Keep your fingers crossed for me. There won't be an update til tomorrow at some time, but I am sure I will be filling this forum with questions for half the night.
Much love, RaE

Has anyone ever used the outdoor carpet with a bunny? It seems easier to clean up then regular carpet,but I know you have to watch bunnies with carpet because ingestion=bad.Let me know if you have.

aww, youre sweet. We're glad to help.

As for carpet, are you trying to find something to put on the floor?Have you checked into coroplast or buying a piece of plywood and putting those stick on tiles on it? Carpet is really difficult to clean up. I would use something easier if you can.

I know of the other things,I was just looking for alternatives. So it isn't a good idea. Gotcha.I am pretty sure that if things work I will be using linoleum on plywood or peg board.

So I brought it up a bit last night (I figure this will take some time so I will start early) This is how the conversation went:

"So mom, I have been doing a lot of research about rabbits."
"What made you change your mind about not getting anymore bunnies?"
"Well, I know when Floppy died, I said rabbits were meant to run free. And wild rabbits are. But lots of rabbit breeds have been domesticated and couldn't live in the wild anymore. So I think that I could give them a good home and a good life and that would be better then someone who doesn't know anything about them having them."
"Well, if people didn't domesticate them, then they could be wild."
"But mom, domestication takes years. You couldn't just sit these rabbits outside and expect them to live. The breeds would just die out. Besides, I could give a bunny and nice life and lots of love."(I haven't yet tried to tell her that bunnies are best inside and should get run around time inside and out if I had them. We are trying to take this slow.)

That went on for a few more minutes with me finally saying goodnight and telling her I wanted to talk more about it today. She thinks that bunnies must not get any exercise because I first bunny (whom she never let me pick up so he was really just a wild rabbit stuck in a tiny cage). It was really pitiful and if I had to keep a rabbit outside I wouldn't, not in cages like we have. It is animal cruelty, plain and simple. But I must persevere, I know what I am talking about and I know what I want. I will spend every day until I move out trying to convince my mom of this. *Heroic music plays in the background*
.RaE

Hi Rae, we have 4 bunnies, 2 are bonded the other 2 single buns.

Buttercup who is almost 9 lives in our Family Room. He doesn't even have a cage, He has a big cardboard box and a little wooden hide away my husband made for him. He is quite happy down there.

Daisy Mae is our other single bunny. She is up in our computer room in a cage. She is let out at least twice a day for about 2 hoursor moreat a time.They both have numerous toys to play with.

Wilbur and Jackie have a bedroom to themselves, they have 2 NIC cages in the room (long story). They are very anti-social they just like being around each other, my husband and I are only good for feeding them and cleaning the room. LOL

One thing I find, during the day all they do is sleep, the odd time they get up to use the litter pan. I use to feel guilty when I worked when we only had Buttercup that he was alone too much, but then I realized he sleeps all day.

Sometimes I take Daisy Mae out during the day (I'm not working at the moment) but I don't want her to get to use to it, for when I can go back to work she'd be caged again for the day.

Susan and the Gang:bunnydance::apollo::bunny19:bunnyheart

PS

Good Luck with your Mother

:angryrantWHEN DO I GET TO MOVE OUT?:tantrum: (Warning :rant: )

I am trying to resist throwing a full-out tantrum.If you don't want to see my rant there is a side-bar, you can just scroll that back up to the top and imagine that I am talking about spring-time flowers or something.
The conversation started like this:
"You are quiet Rachel, what are you thinking about?"
"Rabbits."
"You are on quite a bunny kick, aren't you?"
"Yeah, and it isn't going away."
She then pretended that she didn't hear me and went into the store (We had to go get some cokes for my grandpa's party)
Later on back at grandparents:
"What is wrong, Rachel?"
" I am planning out a bunny cage"
Bunnies are supposed to be free."
"If they are wild, then yes. But bunnies that are bred to be pets, then need love not to be let loose. What we did to Floppy was animal cruelty, it is that simple."
"Yes, so you don't want any more bunnies right? We have animals that don't get the attention they deserve anyways. You would just get bored of it."

This is off-topic from my bunny argument but I need to rant.I will wind it in, I promise. After that we had another spat because my grandparents are getting rid of a futon and I wanted to trade it for my bed. This is how that one went. This was with my mom again unless stated.
"Has anyone slept on that futon? Is it comfy?"
"We did at your aunts. It was fine for a couch."
(This is my grandma) "Why do you know someone that wants it?"
"Yeah, me. I wanted to trade my bed for one."
"No."
"Why not?"
(Step dad here) "Because."
"Why?"
"Because."
"Because is not a reason."
"No, but it is your answer."
(Do you people see what I am dealing with?:banghead The real reason was really because my bedroom furniture is my great-grandmothers and my mom won't let me give it to someone else in the family. It was given to me by a cousin I think. It had been in my grandparents for years and then my mom made me take it, which was fine. But now I want more room and with old-timey vanity, dresser and bed set there is none.)

Somehow, even though I am supposed to have a job already,continue making A's and B's in advanced classes and be driving already,not only can I not pick my own bed, I can't handle 3 pounds of bunny! The thing is I think that I have proven that I have done my research, I have a floor plan, a cage plan, money for the first visit to the vet, and emergency money set back for emergency vet visits already.All she has to say is that bunnies should be wild animals and that we have animals that don't get the attention they deserve (which I know,but my brother swore that he would take care of the dog that I said we should find a new home while it was still a pup, it is his turtle, and my mom told me that I couldn't take any of the cats when I moved out because they are HERS. Maybe I am just angry though, but I feel like that is not really my place even though I still spend time with them and take care of them. It isn't what they deserve but I will tell this story another day.)
All she would have to do would be to say "okay".She won't have to clean up after it, feed it, or even pay for it. She wouldn't even see it (It would have outside time outside and in my room). But that isn't good enough, because she hates it when Caleb buys me anything (he is actually planning to pay for it and then I am secretly planning to pay him back if I can ever get a job that wants me). She feels like that is taking charity from him (he has quite a bit of money set back, he is a smart guy) and she has too much pride for that. Which is stupid. She got really PO'ed when he would buy me food when there was none in the house. I am not too high and mighty to not accept help when I need it. But I am meandering in my points.
The main reason I am angry is that mommy dearest always told me that if I knew what I wanted and really understood then I could do and have anything I wanted. You can't teach a bird to fly hen clip it's wings when it wants to try without you. I know about rabbits, and I know I want one, and the only thing stopping me is four letters. It makes me want to slam my head into a wall. But of course that just means a big boo hoo for me.:boohoo::growl::growl::growl::growl: I am pretty sure it is a matter of her liking to shoot me down....Don't mind me, I am just angry that I have a mother that doesn't believe in logical reason!!! And the only thing I can do is keep trying. If the rant offends or people don't want to see it, let me know and I will do something with it, but I just thought I would share my latest adventure in my path to get a bunny before I move out.

One more time, all together now! :censored2::censored2::censored2::pullhair::tantrum::banghead RAE

Latest posts

Back