Nervous about Neutering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteviesMom

Reaction score
I am freaking out a bit about getting Stevie neutered! I made the appointment and he will be getting the procedure done in 6 days (on Friday). He's about 7 months and spraying EVERYWHERE!

I really trust the Vet who is doing the procedure, I have talked to him about it a few times and plan to ask more questions before I drop him off.

The Vet staff first told me that they suggest I leave Stevie there over-night. This stresses me out. After I learned no one is there over night i questioned the purpose of leaving him there and stressing him out more. I asked if I could take him home and bring him back the next morning for a re-check. They said that was fine.

I have tried to research some but haven't been able to find any detailed after-care sheets. I assume he will come home with some pain medicine? I plan on keeping him confined in his cage so he won't rip stitches or hurt himself, is that right? Can he go back to eating veggies and everything right after or just hay and pellets? Is there anything else I can do to make him comfy and less stressed?

Are there any important questions I should ask the Vet when I next talk to him?

Is there anything else I should know/be aware of before I take him in.

I just got my new boy neutered on Thursday. I don't know how you waited 7 months with spraying, I couldn't handle a week! This was my first experience with an intact male and boy was it annoying at times!

Here's a good link of a summary of it all. The first half is about convincing owners to neuter, but the second half is helpful.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

For after care, you can't use shavings or other similar bedding as it can irritate the incision. Towels or fleece are best in the cage, but newspaper can do if needed. Newspaper or a paper based litter in the litter box is good too unless you have a grate.
Keep the cage clean, so clean daily if not more often.
You can give a bed or other soft bedding.
It is good to keep him confined so the incision can heal. If there are levels or other things to jump up on, take them out as you don't want him jumping. It usually takes about a week before they should be out running.
Feed him whatever he is used to. Veggies are good at first as they temp a rabbit to eat. It is a good idea to serve them wet so there is the added moisture.

You should check the incision once or twice a day. A good time is when you give medication. It may look like he has not been neutered as the sacs fill up with fluid, but that should go away in a week or 2 (usually be 2 weeks they should be more shrivelled up).

Thank you for the link. I think that I am going to show this to my parents when I see them next. MAYBE it will convince them to let me get my rabbits Spayed.

It was not too overly detailed and not under detailed. Just a perfect 5 minute read. Thank you.

Thank you Christine and Kate!! Your info was very helpful :) I'm just so nervous. I have never even been away from him since I got him. I know the whole thing will be very stressful for him, so I'm worried about his cold/snuffles coming back. I'm a bit of a spaz ;) haha

So, I'm dropping him off at 830am tomorrow(Friday). I can't sleep and he's still running around my room; I'm trying to let him enjoy his last few minutes of free roaming.

I am SO scared. I really trust my vet but I am freaking out about everything. Stevie sprayed me twice today so I know it's the right time, I'm just a worrier.

I get to pick him up later in the day tomorrow so I packed him a bag (food, hay, water, treats, toys, bowls, water bottle, blankets) for the vet.

I'll post tomorrow morning after I drop him off. I only have a few things to do tomorrow so I'm sure I'll be stressing the majority of the day :/

Well wish us luck, I guess :nerves1 ay ay ay

I was freaking out the minute I dropped my boy off until the minute I picked him up but soon realized everything was fine. I had no real reason to freak out. :) Good luck! Keep us updated!

Stevie will be just fine! and you will too by the way ;)

I just got Pippy neutered yesterday and he's been handling it like a champ. I was less nervous about him than my Big Bunny, probably because I've been through it once. Just try to be strong and calm for him. Bunnies can sense how you're feeling, so if you're terrified, he's gonna be scared too.

Definitely put fleece or a sheet or something in the cage (if he's used to his carrier you could even keep him in there overnight). I kept Pippy in his cage for 24 hours and kept him quiet. He's a free range bun so as soon as he was back to his munching, bar-biting self I wanted to get him out of the cage since I felt like it stressed him out more.

This was the best website for preparing me mentally for the neuter. It's a little long but incredibly useful! http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Thanks for the encouragement and thoughts everyone. Stevie and I are awake and getting ready to bring him to see his doc. I'm trying to be calm so I don't freak him out haha.

Carrie- that link was extremely helpful! It gave me some more questions to pester my vet with haha. Thanks for the info :)

I was a nervous wreck when I got Honey neutered :D Everything went smoothly and he was basically himself by the next day (though I kept him in his cage for five days before giving him more room). I'm sure your little man will be fine!

The males bounce back quickly because it is much less invasive than a spay. I'm sure today will be harder on you than him, he at least gets some good drugs :p

The Vet just called, he's awake and doing well. No complications :) Phew! So relieved. Just counting down the hours until I can pick him up at 3. Woo!

Hmph, poor Stevie has to wear a cone of shame :( I guess he licked one side so much that he removed the glue the vet used to seal it. The whole staff was pulling yummy bunny treats from their lunches to try to distract him from licking: some banana, a grape and a few other things. But Stevie refused to stop cleaning himself so he had to have a cone put on. I can really tell it's bothering him but I am worried he will go right back to licking if I take it off. Poor bunny.
IMAG0263.jpg

He hasn't eaten much yet either. The vet said he ate some while he was there. He's been home about an hour, I saw him take a drink but he hasn't wanted anything to eat, except the oats I offered ha. When should I start worrying if he hasn't eaten much by?

Poor little Stevie in his cone of shame! I bet he doesn't want to eat with that thing on...when can you take it off? Try some veggies like cilantro or basil. Or maybe some orchard grass if you have any. If he's only been an hour or so, give him a bit of time. He'll get his appetite back!

They said I can take it off if I want but I've seen him attempting to lick himself quite a few times through the cone. I'm worried that if I take it off he will re-open his insiscion, since he had done that earlier.

I put some orchard grass in there, no interest yet. I just gave him a pain medicine also.

Latest posts

Back