need your help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is almost 12AM and I am on the computerwondering if she is eating more and pooping OK. If you are uplet me know 2bunsman. I just went through this with Joey and it isclose to my heart:pink iris:

2bunmom wrote:
Iam just not sure of the medications. I have not given her theantibiotic yet.
I know I am coming into this kinda late, but I did want to post for future reference.

Sulfa-Trimethoprin (aka Trimethoprim-sulfadiazine, Septra, Bactrim) isa drug that can be used on rabbits. It is an bactericidalantibiotic used commonly as first-line drugs for alimentary (digestivetract), respiratory, urinary,hepatic (pertainingtothe liver)coccidiosis and skin/soft tissueinfections caused by organisms including e. coli, enterobacer,streptococcus, staphylococcus, pasteurella, clostridia, salmonella,brucella, actinomyces, corynebacterium, bordatella. Usually the dosageis 30mg/kg BID SC (2x a day, subcutaneous). It canalso be given by oral suspension (liquid) as well.

hope that helps...

I am glad to read that your bunny is improving... :)

Hi Angieluv and BunnySlave, Thanks for your replies.

Trixie is eating only greens ands some banana once in awhile. Yesterday I got frustrated with her noteating decided to take her off the motility drug and syringe feed her amixture of baby carrots and pumpkin. Also syringed her half ababy aspirin and some simethicone. About 10:00 lastnight she started being more active so I got out the greens and offeredher some. she started eating like she was likecrazy. I noticed that after I gave her the motility drug, Icould hear a lot of activity in her bowels.I think that thishas caused her pain and therefore she has not wanted to eat.

She is pooping but it is not normal looking.Her first poopswere more normal looking but now they are moisttancoloredand mucousy looking. I am hopingthat is because of the motility drug. I just wish she wouldeat some oats.she will eat raisins the littlestinker!!!

I just worry about her for Tuesday, because I have to go back to workand I will be gone for 10 hours, with no way to check on her.Let's hope she eats oats hay and pellets latertoday.

Bunnyslave, thanks for the info on the antibiotic.The vet gave me a pediatric liquid suspension. I probablyshould have given it to her but I was afraid to because of a badexperience with baytril and my other bunny. Thanks Beckie

2bunmom wrote:
Bunnyslave, thanks for the info on theantibiotic. The vet gave me a pediatric liquidsuspension. I probably should have given it to her but I wasafraid to because of a bad experience with baytril and my otherbunny. Thanks Beckie
Can you tell me your experience with baytril? I don't mean tobring up bad memories but I think its always good to hear about otherppl's experiences esp with medicines that are regularly prescribed forrabbits.

thanks

Yes,I took Trouble (8lbmixed breed male) to the vet because he wassneezing and was very congested. He was eating just fine,pooping just fine and was playful. All normal for him exceptthe nasal congestion. The vet told me that what ever he hadwas in his nasal passages and not in the lungs. So we put himon Baytril for a nasal infection. After 2 days he stoppedeating completely! He went into gi stasis andIreally thought that he was going to die. This went for 2weeks or longer. That was a couple of years ago.

He still sneezes and has nasal congestion.I thinkhe has allergies. When his nose is stuffy I put a littleVicks on the end of his nose. I also give him a little dab ofnutrical and he also gets oxytetracycline in his water everyday. He has learned to be a better hay eater which has helpedout a lot. I have been debating on trying him on a pediatricdecongestant for his nose. He is the lighter colored bunny inmy avitar. He is actually a harlequin colored, white withsplashes of gray. He is about 5 years old now.Trixie and Trouble are a bonded pair. They were throw awayEaster bunnies. They got into their teen age years and thepeople did not want them any more. They gave them to me cage,bunnies and food. They have been a source of joy for me overthe years!!! I guess you can tell,I lovethem. sorry,I have not learned to post picturesyet.

Trixie has been eating hay, this is good!!!

Yay! The mushy poos could be from all theveggies. If she's eating hay, that' good :D try sprinkling some oats onher veggies.. maybe she won't know when she's eating them :D. Good luckfor Tuesday, hopefully everything will be fine!

Well, now the poops are the rightcolor. No luck with the oats. I tried to mash someup in a banana, she just left it sitting. She just finishedeating parsley and romaine.

Then she got mad at me for cleaning her poopy butt!!! Thethanks we get for trying to be good bunny parents.haha!

2bunmom wrote:
Well, now the poops are the right color. No luckwith the oats.
Just wanted to double check that the oats you are giving her are the"old fashion" kind and not the "quick oats". Quick oatsaren't recommended for bunnies and I find that my buns won't eat thequick oats (my bf accidently bought the quick oats when i was out oftown and when I found out I was relieved that they hadn't eaten themanyways... whew!!) But the "old fashion" oats they devour!

:shock:I think I give my rabbit thequick oats. What's the problem with them? She loves them. Also, do youknow how to post pictures? I have a bundleful I want to post!

They have been eating the old fashioned kind ofoats for about 4 years now. I just cannot get her to eat themright now. I usually mix a little in with their pellets andthey eat them out of the pellets first. I guess when hertummy settles down, she will start eating her regularfood.I am just happy she is eatingveggies on her for now.Thanks

Spring wrote:
:shock:I think I give my rabbit the quick oats.What's the problem with them? She loves them. Also, do you know how topost pictures? I have a bundleful I want to post!
I have talked to many veterinarians, breeders, HRS, and read articlesthat do not recommend "quick oats" b/c they can swell in the bunny'stummy and cause bloat. Every bunny is different in terms ofsensitivity so your bunny may have a strong digestive system (HURRAYFOR THAT!) but personally I wouldn't take the risk and would recommendswitching to "old fashion" oats.

You can tell the difference between the 2 oatsb/c quick oatsare smaller in size compared to old fashion oats or it should belabeled directly on the container... for example:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d107/BunnySlippers51/7e74f994.jpg

(photo courtesy of SBK and Leahbun from LL)

hope that helps!

Garden Flowers Rabbitry wrote:
Is the sulfa drug the same as Albon, ??

connie
albon is also known as sulfadimethoxine but sulfa-trimethoprim (what2bunmom originally asked about) is known as sulfadiazine.they are sulfa drugs but with different compounds associated with itthat will enhance antimicrobial activity (destroying/inhibiting ofmicroorganismal growth).Albon is a sulfonamidedrugused in small animals for the treatment of respiratory,genitourinary (genital/urinary organs and functions), enteric and softtissue infections caused by susceptible organisms includingstreptococcus, staphylococcus, escherichia, salmonella, klebsiella,proteus, and shigella.

Sulfonamides are classified according to their duration of effect.

1. Short acting sulfonamides (require dosing every 8 hours) - iesulfadiazine used primarily for treatment of systemicandurinary tract infections.

2. Intermediate acting sulfonamides (require dosing every 12-24 hours)- ie sulfadimethoxine used primarily for urinary tract infections

3. Long lasting sulfonamides (requires dosing every few days)

hope that helps.

sulfa-trimethoprim is the one you can buy in feed stores I think then, for cattle etc?

I had had to use sulfadimethoxine when my chins and prairiedogs weresick..I'd had someone ship a sick animal to me and i didn't realise itwas contagious til it was to late. I lost all mypets, that was a couple of yrs ago and waited a while til I and the vetfelt it was ok to have pets again.

Update on Trixie, today shefinallystarted eating her oats and pellets!!!! Shehas been playing and acting more like herself for the last 2days. She goes to the vet on Thursday for a follow-upvisit. I never did give her the antibiotic. I heldoff because she started pooping pretty quickly and I was afraid thatthe antibiotic would upset her intestinal flora and she would stopeating again. No eating =No poops.Thanksto all who have been following thisthread.

Oh yes, It is because of this rabbit forum that I couldrecognize that she had a problem and knew what to do for her until Icould get her to the vet.When I first got myrabbits about 5 years ago all that I knew about them was that they werecute, smart and fuzzy!!!! Beckie

Latest posts

Back