need your help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2bunmom

Reaction score
Trixie had to go to the vet thismorning. She did not eat on her own all night, nor did shehave any urine or fecal out put. My vet took anx-ray and she does not have a blockage but for what ever reason, hersystem is not moving.

She was given subQ fluids and a shot of Metoclopramide. Therehas been a small amount of urine since we have been home. Shestill will not eat on her own but she will eat readily from thesyringe. She has been getting baby food squash mixed withpumpkin---- she wont eat the pumpkin alone. She has also beengetting some of the oxbow Critical Care. I feellikeI know what to do because of this forum and the factthatI went through stasis with my male rabbit a few yearsback.

I am just not sure of the medications. I have not given her the antibiotic yet.

I have never heard of that particularanti-biotic. My vet usually prescribes Baytril. Themetoclopromide is good stuff. Critical Care is goodtoo. Your vet sounds rabbit savvy. :) Anypoops?

2bunmom wrote:
Trixie had to go to the vet this morning. She didnot eat on her own all night, nor did she have any urine or fecal output. My vet took an x-ray and she does not have ablockage but for what ever reason, her system is not moving.

She was given subQ fluids and a shot of Metoclopramide. Therehas been a small amount of urine since we have been home. Shestill will not eat on her own but she will eat readily from thesyringe. She has been getting baby food squash mixed withpumpkin---- she wont eat the pumpkin alone. She has also beengetting some of the oxbow Critical Care. I feellikeI know what to do because of this forum and the factthatI went through stasis with my male rabbit a few yearsback.

I am just not sure of the medications. I have not given her the antibiotic yet.
Most experts agree that pain management and hydration are key elementsin treating GI stasis. Little is known about the actualcauses, and there is no ideal treatment. It varies on anindividual basis depending on what is believed to be the cause of thestasis.

The use of gut motility agents such as Metoclopramideinrabbits has been debated and have not been found to be veryeffective. They are not recommended in cases where a blockageis known, as intestinal rupture may occur.

The use of antibiotics in cases of GI stasis is also muchdebated. When the gut ceases movement, and is not emptying,the overgrowth of harmful bacteria may occur. On the otherhand, antibiotics may kill off the healthy bacterias also. Iwould discuss the pros/cons of administering the antibiotic with yourvet so you can make an educated decision.

Lubricants may be helpful in some cases, but petroleum based productsare not recommended. Mineral oil is sometimes used, but thisshould only be done by a vet due to the danger of aspiration.

I have also questioned the use of fiber products such as Critical Care,pellet slurriesor pumpkinin cases of GIstasis. I have used fiber products and have found no moresuccess with them than no treatment at all. Fiber in theintestines draws fluids from other body tissues which may lead todehydration (one of the reasons the treatment is not used in horseswith GI stasis). Fiber products can also add additional bulkto material in the intestines, leading to a serious blockage in a gutthat is not functioning properly. This is also the reasoningbehind one source recommending against the use of Metamucil in rabbitsfor treating GI stasis.

Greens may be helpful in tempting the rabbit to eat. I havefound that Nutri Cal for dogs/cats can be very helpful in treatmentbecause it can be given in such small amounts and the rabbit isn'tstressed by the struggle of frequent syringe feedings.

Pam

Hi Lissa, I hope that you are feelingbetter!!! I do not know how rabbit savvy she is butshe works really well with me.I asked her aboutthis antibiotic and she said that she has used it on otherrabbits. Baytril I have had a bad experiencewith. It caused an intestinal upset with my malerabbit andI thought he was going to die.Thevet and I put him on it because he was sneezing.I guess that is why I get so nervous about giving the rabbitsantibiotics.

The Critical Care has been in my freezer for awhile. I read about it somewhere and decided to get some tohave on hand.

Thanks for your post, I am feeling a little better about the medsnow. I just wish Trixie would poop and eat on herown. I am impatient, I know these things taketime. I am like you,those 2 rabbits are mybabies!!! Thanksagain Beckie :)

Thanks Pam, She got nutrical twiceduring the night. The vet also gave me benbec touse right after the antibiotic. I know that there is somequestion about that really working also.

Trixie does not seem stressed out by the syringe feedings, or at leastnotso far. She will not eat any greensright now.

I think that I will holdoff on the antibiotic fornow. It is just so hard to know what to do forthem.:? Thanksagain Pam.

2bunmom wrote:
I think that I will holdoff on the antibiotic fornow. It is just so hard to know what to do forthem.:? Thanksagain Pam.

There never seem to be any easy answers :( We try to the best we can with the information available to us.

Pam

Try not to stress too much as rabbits can oftensense that. Give it a little time and I'm sure your bunnywill be just fine. Are any poops passing at thispoint? How long has it been?

No poops at all!!!I actually do not know how long it has been. I came home fromwork at 6:30 p.m. yesterday and found her not eating. Icleaned out the litter box so I could start monitoring. So Iknow from that point on. She was eating and pooping fine whenI left that morning.

She loves to eat, so when I put her food in hercagelastnight and she did not move to get up and eat, I knew thatthere was something wrong. She is a great hay eateralso. So when this girl eats nothing, there is somethinggoing on.

This is not what I had planned to do on my day off but I am glad to beable to be here to take care of her. She is such a sweet lovebug!! She even gave me a kiss at the vets thismorning. Of course thatwas before the subQ fluidsand the shot.;)

Well, need to run a few errands, be back later.Beckie Oh Lissa,Great photos on your thread. You are looking so happy thesedays. I guess marriage agrees with you!!!!

Thank you for the compliments.:) I hope your bunny gets better soon. Keep a closeeye on her and keep us updated too. ;) Have youtried to give her any treats?

Hi Lissa, No poops but there has beena little progress. She has peed 3 times. She isalso starting to get irritated with the syringe......I am taking thisas a good sign. She is feeling well enough to get a littlefeisty. She will not eat any treats. So Iwill just have to give her some more nutrical, which shehates. I will feel better when she will eat something on herown and does a few poops. Beckie

My vet prescribet Metacam for my rabbit when wethought she had some sort of pain in her mouth (wasn't too happy whenhe didn't tell me the oatrageous price for a little bottle!) But I onlyused it once because I researched on it, and found it can decreaseappitite so I stopped using it.

On Friday the 16 I trimmed my rabbtis nails and put her back in hercage and she ate near to nothing until Monday. Could it be stress?Maybe get a few herbs and breaking off the stems or cutting a bit ofthe leaf off and put it in her face. After a bit, my rabbit would gettired of it bothering her and would eat it. Try dipping a piece of hayin water. My rabbit ate this when she wasn't eating.

It's odd if she was eating well in the morning, I dont' know what it could be.

Hi....Several weeks ago my bunny Joey went intostasis after going into shock after having a fight with one of my newbunnies. For several weeks I force fed Nutrical, Critical care ,pumpkin, Pedialyte, Reglan ,baytril, benebac and Loxitane...alsopineapple juice. it was probably the worst thing I ever went throughwith a rabbit. The only thing he would eat on his own was fresh greens.After he was pooping a little I talked to the vet who said I could cutback on some of the regime. As it turned out I cut back a Lot . After Iquit stressing him out every few hours he started to functionnormally...I mean big poops and wet pees. I guess that one has to usesome of their own judgment. This rabbit could not stand being handledand I was doing a burrito every few hours. Once I let him alone he wasOK. I know this is not the norm but its worth passing on to others.

With some cases, fussing can cause more illness.I usually go with my gut feeling. I had an iffy gut feeling with Pepsion the Friday but left her alone just calmly talking to her and seeingif she would take anything at her own will. I think that if I hadstressed her with syringe feeding, it would have taken 3x as long forher to get back to normal.

I wanted to update on Trixie'scondition. Yesterday she had about 14 poops. Not asbig as her normal ones as she is a 9.5 lb , bunny who usually eats alot of hay. Last night she ate some hay and tried to drinkfrom her water bottle. This morning sheate a piece of red leaf lettuce.

I held off on giving her the antibiotic. She loves thebene-bac though ...she ate it off my finger!!!! I am stillsyringing her baby aspirin , the motility drug,water andsymethicone. She has also been getting a drop of nutrical acouple of times a day. She really hates it, but i know thatit is good for her.

She seems a little more active today and I saw her eating some more haythis morning. Thanks all and I will update laterthis afternoon. Beckie

I know that people think we are crazy but theydo not understand rabbits and what a pure joy they canbe!!!!!I have had other pets,buttherabbits that I have now have been the most fun andinteresting of all. They are addictivetoo!!! If I had more room, I would have more ofthem!!

Trixie is doing much better today. She has been groomingherself and her buddy some. He misses her so much.She has not had the energy to play, groom or deal with him.Poor little guy he doesn't understand.

I called the vet yesterday and she said to cut back on the motilitydrug. So I was able to sleep all night instead ofbeing up every few hours giving meds. I never did give herthe antibiotic. I would have but she started pooping,soI held off. She is eating a little hay, eatingvegetables and once in a while she will eat a few oats and pellets outof her bin. She pooped this morning andis peeing. So things look to be on the positiveside. She hates the nutrical butI give itto her any way. My little boy hates it too but hehas allergies so I give it to him to keep his immune systemup.

Thanks for your replies, they have been informative and also help me emotionally.:)

Beckie

Latest posts

Back