Need some advice.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In your opinion, are rabbits generally happier bonded, or solitary?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rusty

Reaction score
How do you know if your rabbit needs a friend? I saw this one rabbit at the pet store (I know, I would prefer a shelter but...)and my heart just melted. I haven't felt that way about an animal since I met Rusty and I wanted the rabbit really bad but my parents refuse to let me get Rusty a friend. So before I try my next plan to try and convince them, I would like to know what are the signs that your rabbit is lonely or wants another rabbit around, because I know there are some rabbits who like to live solitary. Any advice possible would be fantastic.

Thanks

Well - it depends on the rabbbit but i voted for yes becaause they are quite social creatures and like attention and they also like grooming each other so - but thats just what I think LOL!

If you want to persuade your parents to get Rusty a friend I would use a couple of lines like:

"But think of when its cold and wet and we're snuggled up inside tyogether and he's all along"

"When we go on holiday he will be lonely becuase i won;t be there to cuddle him everyday"

ETC

But you can usually tell if a rabbits bored or lonely - if your parents still say no just make sure yougive him lots of attention like another bun ny would.

I think they are happier with a friend. There is nothing sweeter than watching a bonded pair. My husband and I are both gone at work all day and I know the bunnies are happier having a friend to snuggle with when I'm not there.

One of my fosters have a successful bunny date about two weeks ago. The family that brought Bongo over for his date said that had never seen him look so animated as when he met his Sofia.

I think they are happy with friends but I wouldn't say it is for every bunny. Some bunnies prefer to be alone.

I have one that after a year of being bonded started attacking the other two. I had to seperate them and now she is happier.

If you are prepared for the possibility of them not bonding orunbonding than I would go through with it.

:yeahthat:
I know my Tony is happier with his girl-bun, and we want to find a girlfriend for Benjamin. However, you have to be prepared that it might not work out. It's best to let them meet each other beforehand (shelters often set up dates) to get an idea of how well they'll get along. Also, a bunny bonded to another will be less people-oriented. Tony doesn't run circles around me anymore because I'm not his girlfriend, Muffin is. I think though, that he's much happier so I don't mind. If he has to spend hours alone during the day, I'd absolutely go for it. 2 bunnies are not a lot harder to care for than one, and bunny love is so sweet.:bunnyheart

tonyshuman wrote:
you have to be prepared that it might not work out.
Pebbles and Bebe prefer to be by themselves because of the attention we give them at home. They are so spoiled, they don't want another playmate. Whenever we try to bond them, one gets very aggressive and tries to murder the other. ;) I don't want anyone of them to get hurt, so I keep them in theirown cages andseparate run times.

Evenif you had a bunny date, things can go wrong when you bring the new bunny home. You still have to think about your school time and the amount of time you will spend on two unbonded bunnies in the worst case scenario.

How did things go when you had to bunnysit your friends bunny?

Pet_Bunny wrote:
How did things go when you had to bunnysit your friends bunny?

Rusty hated the other rabbit since it was an intact male. Rusty tried to fight him but the other rabbit didn't even seem to care Rusty was around.

I just don't know if Rusty is bored or not. Rusty is just being destructive right now no matter what I give him. I'm not sure if it's just because he is a teenager or because he wants a girlfriend.

I've tried everything with my parents and it just doesn't work.They let my sister get more pets but not me, and I don'twant the rabbit per se for me but mostly forRusty and to give the otherrabbit a home. I would try to getRusty to goon a couple ofbunny dates before taking any rabbit home because Ijust don't have the room to separate them. The cage I have is huge so I know there is room for two in there.And besides, Rusty runs freeall day long anyways... I'm just so upset about this whole thing because of thatone rabbit I saw. I don't know what to do, and I just don't want Rusty to get boredthis year while I am studying super hard for school....:dunno

So I talked to my parents and they're letting me get another rabbit but I had to make a contract of certain promises of course. So anyways I am going to the humane society tomorrow for some bunny dates. Hopefully all goes well, so wish me luck guys! I am so excited and Rusty has no idea!!!!!

So I went to the humane society today and picked out a rabbit!!! My best friend works there and told me about this one lady bunny who is all white with red eyes and rex fur, who is just like Rusty. So we put Rusty in a room with her and they were kind of ignoring each other and then they started smelling each other. They kind of cuddled one another and one was trying to get the other to groom them and vice versa. Anyway they stayed in the same room together and the lady bunny explored while Rusty stayed in a corner peeing his pants ( if he had any pants). After a while they came together and cuddled again and the lady bunny flopped over, and then they started grooming each other!! So it went really well, and she binkied a million times for like 10 minutes. I thought they were the perfect match so I went and adopted her and I will be able to pick her up saturday since she is getting spayed the friday. She is only 4 months old but they were so happy together. After they groomed each other they ran around the room looking at stuff. It was awesome. So I will definitely post some pictures of her the day I get her. They will be separated from each other until she is healed and I know for sure they are bonded. I can't wait till saturday!!!

Okay so I am going to be taking Rusty to see her a few times this week just to enforce the bond, and the rabbit lady at the humane society let me take some of her poop to put in Rusty's litterbox and vice versa. So if they are going to be bonding pretty well during the week, when it comes time to take her home would he be allowed to go see her but through the cage so she doesn't get hurt? The way my room is set up is that the cage has a ramp going to my bed since the cage is a couple of feet off the ground. Should I connect the ramp to the cage with the cage door closed or just leave the ramp off, and how long can I wait before I can have them in the same cage if they are bonded of course. I just want to make sure she doesn't get hurt after her spay since I know it can take up to ten days to heal... Any ideas?

By the way, her name at the society was Monty because they thought it was a boy, but apparently she isn't used to the name so I changed it to Akira which means clear/bright in japanese. I just like the sound of it better ;) Let me know what you think of the name as well. Thanks.

I am so giddy it's not even funny.

I was thinking about you today. How lucky Rusty was to find the perfect match. :D I checked the humane society website, but didn't see Monty there. I like the name Akira.

Yeah they kind of don't update their website lol. But here is a picture that the shelter took of her.

akira.jpg

I will take better ones soon. Promise. And there will be some of Rusty too ;)

I'm so excited for YOU!!!! And Rusty, and Akira!!!!

I think you've just experienced "love at first sight":inlove:. Wish my buns felt that way about eachother. That is a very special pair you have :D. Congratulations!

Thanks! I am so excited that I won't be able to stay away from the shelter so I think I will bring Rusty on tuesday, wednesday, and thursday to visit her before her surgery on friday!!! EEEEEEEEE!!!

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
This is wonderful news! I hope they like each other. She's gorgeous! How old, do they know?
She is 4 months old ;) They were surprised how well they bonded since he is 3 years old and neutered and she is 4 months old intact. It was great, he was well due a friend.

Back