Need Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I had wanted exactly a similar type of shed for my bunnies but after seeing this one I am totally in love!!!!

210.jpg

And then MsBinky asked for some pics of my room. So here they are if this helps at all with you helping me. :?

217.jpg

You can see my snake on my desk and then a hamster cage in my closet.
223.jpg

You can see Bunny cleaning herself in this one.
220.jpg

And then the other hamster cage by my bed. (and now I see that my lampshade is crooked and I just looked behind me 2 hours later and it's still crooked :p)
219.jpg

Hi kathryn, that playhouse looks like a great place for a bun! As long as it can be locked securely, and has enough ventilation, I wouldn't worry about her being outside in it here in California, at least not in the winter. If you provide plenty of hay, hiding boxes and toys, your bun will be fine. The summer will be harder, though... I don't know how you could cool it enough.
There have actually been a few threads here on the forum about housing buns outside, and what hutches to get for them.
A lot of people in the UK for instance house their buns outside.
You could iook at these threads for ideas: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=27041
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=8348&forum_id=1
There are more, including one with lots of pictures but I can't seem to find it right now.
For now, to keep her from soiling the carpet in your room while she's out of her cage, you could do as someone already suggested: get some plastic table cloths from the dollar store and put those under her run, with some scraps of carpet or an old blanket on top for her comfort (That's what i do in the areas where ours have their "poop and pee wars" outside the gates between their areas). That way, she won't be on the carpet, and atleast your dad can't complain about that anymore ;). This will also work under her cage, and if you extend it past the sides, anything that does fall out will be atleast contained off the carpet.

The only problem I can see with housing Bunny outside is your lack of time. Outside buns take a lot of work, and if you are always as tired as you are now, I can't see how you could manage to also go out and feed, clean and socialize with Bunny. It doesn't look like you will get any support from your family, either.

Could you get your grandma who gave you the rabbit to talk to your parents and explain to them about rabbits as pets? I hope she atleast knows about them, though of course not talking to your parents before giving you one looks like the wrong thing to do.

I hope you can make things work, but if you can't get any support right now, you may well have to choose between your sports or your rabbit. I know that is a cruel thing to say, and a very hard decision, but it looks like you already have not enough time and energy to treat Bunny the way she deserves, and no support and help from family members either.
What are you going to do if Bunny needs to see a vet, needs long term care? Can your Grandma help in any way, housing Bunny for you for a while untill she is spayed and her hormones (and your family) calm down? Could she take care of some of the vet bills for you?
I do hope you can eventually talk your family into letting you keep Bunny, but a lot will depend on how well you can take care of her, possibly with help from Grandma.

How about harware cloth around the outside low panel of the cage to keep poops inside. I know Maherwoman keeps it to keep kitty paws in. It should keep poop in.

this is totally off the topic, but i have to say that your room is really neat, i dont know if you just cleaned if for the pics,lol but it is very neat and well kept up

theicequeen99121 wrote:
this is totally off the topic, but i have to say that your room is really neat, i dont know if you just cleaned if for the pics,lol but it is very neat and well kept up
Yeah it's superclean. Idon't get way your parents say that it's messy.

Mabey when your parents yell at you about Bunny, why not tell them exactly how you feel. If that means almost yelling (well mabey tone it done a little if your yelling), or crying. I don't think that they really know howyou feel. It sounds like your doing a great job with bunny. Mabey show your parents this forum so they can learn more about rabbit behavoir. So they migh understand Bunny better.

-TK

kathryn303 wrote:
Bunny and I were doing fine...untill I started highschool. I wake up at 6 in the morning and go to school. Then I have a sports practice after school. When I get home, I am utterly exhausted. I eat and then fall asleep and wake up an hour or 2 later. Then I do homework then fall asleep again. After having my whole week go like this, I find I have barely any time for Bunny. Things started to fall behind in what I do with Bunny. I clean out her cage less, making my whole room smell terrible, stray rabbit poop go everywhere, and a semi-upset Bunny. Then she gets barely any time to run around, and when I do let her run around, she leaves poop everywhere and pees on my carpet. She is great with the litterbox in her cage as long as I keep it clean, but outside the cage, she is a no-litterbox-bunny.

I know how hard it is to have bunnies and go to school. I woul dhave to leave the house at 8 and would not be back until 6 most days. One tip I can offer is to get as much homework done at school as you can. Lunch time, during class and if you have any free time. I managed to have almost no homework and I was taking a full course load. As tough as it may be, quitting the sports team may be a good idea if you can spend more time with Bunny. Or if you can leave a bit early or miss one practice a week. I know it dosen't sound great, but you need to figure out what is best for you and Bunny.
Remember that it is the first week and you still need to figure out what is going on in school and how to manage everything. Once everything gets moving, I'm sure that things will work out for the best.

Thanks for all your help everyone! Some of your suggestions are really good ones...

lol...my room isn't always that clean. I do clean it every weekend though and "desmell" it. I had just cleaned it before I took those pictures. :D

My mom is the most understanding of my whole family. She used to have rabbits when she was younger, and even though she doesn't know everything about them, she is semi-willing to learn. I try really hard to save my money and most of it get spent on my pets. I already enough for the spay and more. If Bunny ever needed any immediate vet attention, I know that my mom would take me as long as I eventually payed her back.

My grandma and my grandpa I'm afraid won't be much help. At first, they wanted to get me a rabbit 3 weeks old. :shock: My grandma wouldn't be capable of caring for a rabbit and my grandpa would be wanting to do things "his way". He would think that he would be doing something good, but really he might be hurting Bunny's health.

Honestly, I wouldn't care at all if I quit the sport, but my parents would never let me because they are the ones who are forcing me to do a sport in the first place. They said that I need to "get more active and social" psh.... The season should be over around November I think.

I will absolutely toput Bunny outside in any weather over 85 degrees. During the summer, I don't care what anyone says, Bunny is staying inside.

I told my dad about the plexi glass and ziptie idea and he thought that that might actually work for when she is inside for the summer, so that is good.

Tonight I am going with my mom to get some hair stuff at the store and I'll ask her if we can stop by the dollar tree to get a plastic tablecloth. That could be a thing that could make everyone happy (including Bunny).

It does look like my dad is set on Bunny going outside during the winter though. But, hopefully I'll have more time then and I'll be able to handle her outside. It's a big relief to me that she'll be warm enough out there. I'll see if I can build her a nesting box/bed thing for when she's out there.

I'm going to also try really, really hard to keep my room clean all week long. That will make the parent's happy.

Things are looking a bit better now, even if Bunny is going outside during the winter. Thanks again everyone. :):hug:You guys are great. I'll keep you updated on how things go.

Oh I can really sympathise with you, my dad doesn't like my rabbits either. :(My mum is pretty good with them though.

Bunny will be fine in a playhouse, 2 of my girls are very happy living in their playhouse (which isn't nearly as pretty as yours ;)). They have loads of space, and it's not like being outside, because if it's raining or cold, you can get right in there with her, unlike a hutch. :D

It is harder to keep rabbits outside, you have to put that bit of more effort in, but you are clearly prepared to do that, your love of Bunny comes through so strong in your posts. :hug:

I'm at school too, and this will be a big year for me, a lot of work, but you get into a routine of getting homework done as early as possible, and making as much time as you can for the rabbits. It's sad that some people can't understand how wonderful it is to own a rabbit, but hey, it's only their loss. :)

2 words... Urine Gone.

I use it whenever my bunny has an accident. I also use it (5 sprays and fill it with water) when I clean out her litterbox.

No pee smell.

~Star~

You can also try cleaning with vinegar.

I use a spray bottle filled with 50/50 vinegar and water. I mist down the cage then wipe up with paper towel. I also us it for any accidents on the carpet, soak up the urine with paper towel, then saturate the spot with vinegar and soak up again with paper towel.

Vinegar will actually react with the urine, and cleans better than anything I've ever tried.

Try soaking her litter box in hot vinegar water and giving it a good scub. Also wipe down the walls around her cage in case there is anything on the walls and check underneath the bottom of the cage.

Once vinegar dries, the smell goes away.
--Dawn

I just have to say WOW....I want to live in the playhouse...is that ever cute!! Also your room is so tidy, if only my kids would keep their room half that neat!

You had posted about plexiglass...you can drill small holes in it and attach it with tie wraps... the bottom of my chinchilla cage has plexiglass and it really helps keep the stuff in.

Sometimes parents can be pains...my mother was always the same way complaing about my animals. But I started paying rent and then she couldn't complain. This might not be and option for you...I had a full time job from the time I was 16 and before that I was babysitting ful time.

I understand about your time constraints...hopefully you will find a balance..Bunny knows you love her. Just keep working on your parents and maybe ask them to give 2 months after Bunny is fixed if things haven't improved by then tell them you will do up the playhouse.

Good luck to you and Bunny!

Shannon and the gang.

Latest posts

Back