Need Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathryn303

Reaction score
Bunny and I were doing fine...untill I started highschool. I wake up at 6 in the morning and go to school. Then I have a sports practice after school. When I get home, I am utterly exhausted. I eat and then fall asleep and wake up an hour or 2 later. Then I do homework then fall asleep again. After having my whole week go like this, I find I have barely any time for Bunny. Things started to fall behind in what I do with Bunny. I clean out her cage less, making my whole room smell terrible, stray rabbit poop go everywhere, and a semi-upset Bunny. Then she gets barely any time to run around, and when I do let her run around, she leaves poop everywhere and pees on my carpet. She is great with the litterbox in her cage as long as I keep it clean, but outside the cage, she is a no-litterbox-bunny.

The result of all of this are some very angry family members. I have to hear them complain about Bunny AT LEAST once a day. "Ugh...that rabbit smells TERRIBLE" "Aren't you tired of her yet?" "Eww! get that thing away from me!" Oh, and my favorite (sarcasm)...There will be ONE rabbit poop on the floor of my room..."Tammy! (my mom) That rabbit's crapping all over the carpet again! KATHRYN! Pick it up or else the rabbit goes outside!" I have to hear this EVERY SINGLE DAY! I try my best to keep things perfect, but it is never good enough for them. Don't you love the support I get from my family? They didn't even want me to get the rabbit in the first place...it was my grandma who gave the rabbit to me without even consulting my parents. So, my parents have never liked Bunny.

I LOVE my animals, and it hurts me a lot when my family insults them. When they insult Bunny, they are basically insulting me. I've tried to ask them to stop nicely, but they just don't. I've now learned to try to ignore everything they say.

Well today, Bunny pushed them over the edge. I was cuddling with her on the couch, and she peed all over the couch. I immediately cleaned it up and put Bunny away. Everyone got so mad at me about it and my dad told me that "Bunny is going outside as soon as it gets cooler outside. For now, I don't want ONE poop outside her cage and she is not allowed to run around your room or anywhere in the house. If you want to hold her, hold her outside. And then next summer, I MIGHT let you bring her back inside your room, but we are getting you a smaller cage that has sides on it so rabbit poops don't go everywhere, or you can use your old cage for her. The giant cage you have now isn't working at all."

The thing is....Her old cage is soooo small for her now! She has grown so much. Then the litterbox that fits in the old cage, she can't fit in anymore, making her not able to use her old cage, and making everything even worse. When I tried telling them that, they told me that she didn't need a huge cage and that it would be big enough. My older sister said, "It's just a rabbit. It's stupid and doesn't need a ton of room. If it were up to me, nobody would have rabbits as pets" The sad part is, I didn't even exagerate what she said right there. That is EXACTLY what she said.

Then I brought up how if they made me put her outside in the summer, Bunny would die. During the summer, it get's in the 100's every day. Even I can't stand to be outside too long, let alone Bunny. My dad replied with, "She's and ANIMAL. She can stand it." Then I said how we were animals too and it didn't make any difference and then how she would die. He didn't say anything to that, but I know by his face that he was thinking that he wouldn't really care if she died.

This is upsetting me so much with everyone treating Bunny like this. I want to give Bunny the best life possible and it stresses me out thinking how my family would like me to treat her.

I don't mine keeping her outside once it is cooler, but when it is hot, NEVER.

Sorry for such a long post, but what I am looking for is help. How should I handle this?

My other question is about her living arrangements outside. We have a playhouse in the backyard that we would put her in. Right now, it is just being used for storage. We would clean it out and fix it up and probably repaint it to make it look nice. Will she be cold in there? I don't think mice or any other small animals can get in there, but what about bugs? Should I worry about them? Do you have any other tips for outside housing? I'll see if I can get a picture of the playhouse so you can see exactly what I am talking about.

And in advance, thank you for any help. It is all very much appreciated.

I might have missed something in your post, but just the same: Has she been spayed? Spayed/neutered buns are generally much better about using litterboxes than intact rabbits.... You can find lots of info. here on spaying, litter training and more.

Bunny made an honest mistake, and i would really try working on ways for her to be able to stay in the house. The scent problem alone sounds like it could be both a need to clean scent glands + something spaying will help with.

what kind of litter are you using?

(And BTW, i can't blame you for being upset about the way your family is reacting to Bunny.)

Oh my goodness. Don't feel bad about making a long post, I can most certainly understand why you are upset. My suggestion as to your family would be to print off a bunch of information about what can happen to bunnies left in heat, what kind of predators can get to bunnies etc. to try and jog them in the right direction. I'm not sure this would work as it looks like your family doesn't care about the rabbit and only slightly tolerates her because she is yours. But it is worth a try.

I am so sorry your family feels this way :(

edit: I'm not saying that it is horrible for rabbits to be kept outside, but in this situation I don't think it is appropriate, so please don't think I'm critisizing anyone who keeps a bun outside.

Leaf-We have looked for Coroplast but cannot find it anywhere. And it is really expensive to order off the internet.

ec-Bunny is getting spayed in a little less than a month. I was hoping that this would solve a lot of the problems that I have with her. I was using Yesterday's news, but it was getting really expensive. So I switched over to something called Critter Country which is a bit like yesterday's news. I tried looking for woodchips at my local feed store, but they didn't have any.

Thanks for your support tundrakatiebean. I don't think they would try very hard to learn about rabbits if I tried to get them too.

Also, don't get completely the wrong impression about my family, they are great, except when it comes to my pets.

What dimensions would you need for the current cage? I may be able to come up with enough if you think it would be do-able.

Leaf wrote:
What dimensions would you need for the current cage? I may be able to come up with enough if you think it would be do-able.
The dimensions of my cage are 28"x42", but I would need the coroplast a little bigger so that it could be folded up on the edges.

Getting her spayed will really help, but it's not an "instant" thing, because it takes time for the hormone levels to drop.

Some litters smell more than others, it seems - I've been using wood pellets (made for horse bedding; the brand is Equine Fresh) for about 7 months now and have found them to be much the best for odor control - and in general. (My bun likes to eat Yesterdays News, Carefresh, etc. - but not this stuff.)

Coroplast should help a lot!

If urine smell is an issue I've heard that adding a small amount of vanilla extract to a bunnies water can help cut down on smell. And don't worrying I'm not judging your families entirety on this one thing, just being sad that they don't understand your love of rabbits.

Awww, don't panick hun I have been in that situation! There are a few ways to make things easier.

First of all, you'll need to talk to your parents and tell them that you understand their frustrations. Let them know that you are on this forum and many members here have their buns inside and we will help you make things better for all of you.They need to understand that rabbits are smelly but not as much when you have tips and tricks to counter it.

The problem is that they have only been seeing the bad. What you want to do is charm them and show them how loveable bunnies are as pets. There won't be a point in talking to them about spaying now because it involves money, and they won't want to spend money on a pet they do not like. Ec makes a good point about the spaying though because it does help with lots of unwanted behavior so it will be good to do it in the near future. (Especially to save your bunny from the risk of uterine cancer)

Like Haley said, you can add something around his cage so that things won't fall from it. It doesn't have to be chloroplast. You can use plexiglass or, if your bunny doesn't chew, you can put a rubber band around it too. Also, a great thing to use is mesh similar to the one used on door screens. There are plenty of things you can use, as long as it is tired to the exterior of the cage and your bun can't chew it.

Another good point is the litter. Many litters are not good for bunnies. So what are you using? I have tried plenty. Cedar shavings are not only not good with absorbtion, but they are unhealthy to your bun. Corn cob is also dangerous and also does not work. The best (according to me) are either the compacted wood pellets or the compacted recycled paper pellets. Personally, I prefer the paper ones. For me, I don't like the fact that when they get wet, they absorb the water, then break apart and dry up and make dust. Having a good litter will help with the smell and also help you with the cleaning. Also, cleaning with vinegar will reduce the ammonia smell. It is safe and a good disinfectant as well.

You really need to litter-train Bunny. That would be a great step towards all of you guys being happy. You can find info on that in the Rabbit 101 section I believe.

Is there a way you can close off a section of your room to letBunny run while you do your homework? I used an old comforter that I fold over a few times to make it thicker and let my bunny run on it and if they pee'd it didn't ruin anything. I would then wash it in my machine and disinfect my machine after that. When you come home from school, if you have a snack, how about you take a lil something to your bun at the same time. You can put a plateof veggies on the floorwith you and let Bunny steal from it. Of course I understand the fear of Bunny peeing or pooping so try to use the blanket and litter-train your bun asap.

I heard that some members put a bit of decaf tea into the water to help reduce the smell. I have not tried it yet myself and I am hoping someone could give you more info on that. Also, if you have a plug in your room a good distance away from your bun and have good air circulation, I would suggest an oil plug-in. I have that kind where it has two perfumes... It smells great!

A great cage would be an NIC condo that you can assemble and personalize to your liking. Also, it would provide your bun with lots of space and you can hang some toys and things like that for Bunny to stay busy. They can be built horizontally or vertically, allowing more options even for a smaller room.

Do you happen to have any pictures of your cage, room, and Bunny? That could be helpful to us when giving you advice. Don't despair, I'm sure we can work at reversing this. It will need some patience though. ;)

"The problem is that they have only been seeing the bad. What you want to do is charm them and show them how loveable bunnies are as pets."

I was actually trying to show them how loveable Bunny could be when I was cuddling with her on the couch....but then she decided to pee. :? I guess that plan backfired on me.

"There won't be a point in talking to them about spaying now because it involves money"

I am actually getting her spayed next month. I have found a vet and agreed to pay for it, so they are fine with it. I have also told them that spaying will help with some of the things they don't like. Even though my dad and sister didn't really listen to that, my mom is all for spaying Bunny if it is going to help.

"You can use plexiglass"

How would you attach plexi glass to the bottom of the NIC cage? That sounds like something that might work.

"The best (according to me) are either the compacted wood pellets or the compacted recycled paper pellets. Personally, I prefer the paper ones."

Right now, I am using a type of paper pellet litter called critter country.

"Is there a way you can close off a section of your room to letBunny run while you do your homework?"

I actually have an NIC pen that I made that I sometimes set up in my room for her to run around in. The problem is that I get home and am too tired to get it out because it is a bit heavy to carry all the way upstairs. I'll try to use it more often though.

"You really need to litter-train Bunny."

Bunny is littertrained, but she will only use a litterbox when she is in her cage. Anywhere else I put a litterbox, she will completely ignore it and poop and pee everywhere on my floor. I tried everything I could to littertrain her so that she would use a litterbox outside of her cage. I am now hoping that spaying her will eventually solve this problem.

" great cage would be an NIC condo that you can assemble and personalize to your liking."

I already have an NIC cage for her, and that is actually one of the problems. They HATE the NIC cage. They think it is too big, it is ugly, and makes things even messier because stray poops get out of it. Well, I don't think it is too big, it is only 2 panels by 3 and it is 2 high. I wouldn't want to make it any smaller. Then I don't think I can make it much prettier. I even used matching blue carpet for the shelving!

I'll get some pictures of everything in a little bit. Thanks for all the help!

Ah well I see you are on the right track :pSorry for assuming your parents might not want to spend the money... Mine wouldn't have. Lol. The spaying will be a good thing. Most likely since she is not spayed, she leaves poop to mark her territory. When you take her on the couch, bring a blanket.

Well for the plexiglass, you should have small holes drilled in side by side, and then insert a cable tie throughthe cage and then through the holes and just tie it. I think that would work. I know some people have done it...

As for the pen, instead of dragging it around, could you not slide it under your bed? Or maybe fold it and put in in the closet or even behind a dresser? I can understand the not wanting to drag it up, I am like that too. I used to work 3 jobs so I understand what you are feeling. :hug:

:banghead:censored2::pullhair::tantrum::tantrum::nonono::nerves1:censored2:

I am cleaning Bunny's cage at this moment, so I put her in the pen in my room while I was cleaning it out. Then my dad walked in and started yelling at me how he didn't want "that thing" on the carpet. I tried to tell him what I was doing and he totallly cut me off. I don't :censored2:care anymore. Bunny can run around in that pen as long as her poor little heart desires. At least I picked up all the crap that she so happily placed all over my carpet before my dad came in. :nerves1:helpBunny needs exercise!

In my litter box, I put hay down, then carefresh bedding. I put extra where she usually pees the most. None of this sticks to the litterbox so all I have to do is dump the litterbox, spray a smellygood thing, and put more hay and carefresh in. This takes about 5 minutes a day. And clean in really good and spray it down on the weekends. So maybe you could do this so Bunny doesn't stink???

Geez...I feel really bad for you! :( Keep your chin up...with everyone's suggestions things will work out. I just quickly read through your post because I'm on my way out. I'm going to check it again tomorrow to see if I have any ideas that haven't been suggested yet. Things will work out.

Here are some pics of our playhouse where we are thinking of keeping Bunny if she eventually is forced to go outside.

210.jpg

Then it has a bigger side door also.

212.jpg

As you can see, it has some damage, but we would fix everything then repaint it also to make it look nice.

211.jpg

How the inside is built....

213.jpg

And it is very messy inside now with all these old toys. :p

216.jpg

It is 8.5 feet by 6 feet, so it is pretty big. It isn't insulated though. Do you think Bunny would be fine in here during the winter when it can get down to the 40's? Any other tips for making it safer and better as an outside living space?

That is an adorable little house, and for a bun? Aww. Just make sure no predators can get in, first and foremost. Next thing, for keeping Bunny warm in the cold months, a ton of hay will work, hidey houses are also good;).

Here are some pics of the cage that she has in my room right now.

008.jpg

010.jpg

And then her old cage which is by the way really small in my opinion.

DSCF2006.jpg

DSCF2011.jpg

She can't even fit in the green litterbox that is in the old cage anymore and that litterbox is the only one that fits in that small cage.

Back