Need help with a possible sick bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure you can get one at walmart. They do have probiotics for people, but they are like specialty products and usually pretty expensive. If you do get something, it needs to be in capsule that you would be able to open and get the powder out. You would have better luck at a petsmart or petco, or a health food store, or horse feed store.

If you can't get something tonight, you'll be ok til tomorrow or maybe even til Mon., but you should get it as soon as possible.

wow he is drinking out of the bowl, I wonder why he wont eat out of his bowl then?
Got the gas drops gave him .3ml but i think he only got .2 or less of it.
Ill give him more in an hour

That's great! It's so much easier when they will at least drink on their own. Rabbits will often still drink but not eat when they are feeling sick, so that would be why he's not eating out of his bowl. Just keep an eye on the water level to make sure he's drinking enough.

Glad you got the gas drops. You may want to give him a little more than the 0.3ml. I give at least 0.5ml to my 3 lb. rabbit. So if your rabbit is bigger then 5 lb. you may want to give the full 1cc(ml) dose for his nezt dose. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Jenny has given great advice... just a few things I wanted to add...

the probiotics can also come in a paste form in a tube - that's the kind I got for my emergency kit and my rabbits scarf it down. I ordered mine online, so I'm not sure where to buy it on short notice, though - feed store or pet store would be your best bet. as Jenny said, they should always be given with antibiotics... and really, even on their own I imagine they'd be potentially helpful for GI stasis. one of my bunnies wasn't eating normally last week and a dose of probiotics fixed her right up.

if you feel he could use some extra fluids, I find that wrapping them in a towel makes syringing liquids SO much easier - you have to syringe it in sideways rather than straight back so they don't accidentally breathe any in and some of it inevitably comes back out. you can use pedialyte instead of or in addition to water.

simethicone is REALLY safe for rabbits, so there's really no need to worry about overdosing him with it - just give him the full 1-2cc for the first three hours and then 1 cc every 3-8h after that. if you're trying to force it like you'd do with meds, you might check to make sure he won't just lap it from the syringe himself - mine always do and it makes it much easier to get the full amount into the bunny.

In Finland metoclopramide is commonly prescribed to treat GI stasis. http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/GI_stimulation/metoclopramide.htm My rabbit has been shedding almost constantly since she was spayed and she sometimes gets GI stasis dispite being fed correctly. I give her this medicine and usually one dose is enough to get her well. I'm not sure if you'd need to get a prescription but either way I'd first ask the right dosage from a good vet.

My bunny has different kind of GI stasis than your bun, though. She develops the symptoms very rapidly, isn't playing around at all and won't eat or drink anything or poop. In your case I wanted to ask if your bunny's teeth (molars too) have been checked thoroughly? Teeth problems can cause sneezing and make the bunny eat selectively. Not using water bottle can also be caused by bad teeth.

Well I took him outside yesterday and let him run around for an hour he nibbled on grass the whole time.
He is popping normal size and cloes to the color it used to be. He is lightly peeing
But he will still only eat kale and nothing else.

He still wont drink on his own really I haven't seen him drink on his own since 2 days ago when he lightly drank out of his dish since then I've been giving him about 15ml of water a day which isn't much but he keeps biting my syringes and breaking them and I dont want him to swallow any plastic.

Trying to go in from the side of his mouth just does not work.

have you tried pedialyte or spiking the water with a little bit of unsweetened apple or pineapple juice (canned is ok for hydration purposes, though the enzymes in fresh pineapple juice can be helpful)? that might encourage him to drink more.

He doesnt even walk up to his water dish or bottle. If he is he's doing it while Im sleeping and not drinking much at all.
I havent done pedialyte and he hated the pineapple juice I was trying to give him out of a can of pineapples.

I can try pedialyte though, Ill go get some from walmart

Im defintely glad his poops arent tiny and jagged rock shape now though

I'm glad he's feeling at least a little better. It can take some time for the poops to get back to looking like normal. I had to feed mine probiotics everyday for several weeks, before my buns poops were looking more like normal. I'm wondering about the drinking thing with your rabbit. Did he have any urine issues before this all started, like peeing outside of the litter box, or have you seen him straining to pee, or a messy bum from peeing? Have you seen any of his pee puddles? Do they look normal or is there any sludge? I'm just wondering if any of his current problems may have to do with any bladder problems, and that's why he's still not feeling completely better. Sludge issues can also cause abdominal pain and may in turn cause stasis which would confuse things a bit. What kind of diet do you feed your bun? What kind of pellets, hay, and what veggies does he get on a regular basis?

It could still just be a tummy issue that is just taking a few days to resolve, but if he's not all better in a few more days, I'm guessing that there is something else going on there, maybe the teeth or a urine problem, are my next guesses.

Not sure why but all of a sudden his poops look like this and his poops have kind of gone back to being smaller and jagged shape rocks again
image3-1.jpeg

What kind of food is he eating now? Are you still having to syringe feed him or is he eating anything on his own? Is he getting any probiotics? And what other meds is he still getting?

He is eating kale, a couple baby carrots and I think very light pellets only cause I set the kale on top of it but there does look to be less than normal.
He hasnt eaten anything in a few hours.

I did put some of that Oxbow in a syringe and give it to him today, about 6cc worth. I then a couple hours ago gave him some of that Rimadyl just incase he was still in pain.

He really isnt eating the timothy hay I put in there and he wont eat it if I put it infront of his face he just puts his face down or moves it side to side.

I did give him some acidpholic? I was giving it to him a few days ago when he was really not feeling well so i figured Id give him a light dose just incase he needs some of that in his belly. So maybe that's what cause his poo to come out all tooth paste like?

I really wish he would start drinking on his own.

Hello,
Is that clay litter in his box? If so you should change to a rabbit friendly litter ASAP. Bunnies can eat it and cause a ton of digestive problems. Also the dust can cause the sneezing too. Yesterday's news, wood pellets, aspen shavings are examples of bunny friendly litters. It could be the cause of your buns problems. If I'm seeing it wrong just ignore me :biggrin:

Btw, that's a cute bunny!

It is the rock litter, I did have another cat litter in there that was a lot more dustier.
I guess it could be part of the problem but he's been using litter like this for over a year now so I dunno?

Thanks, he is a awesome rabbit and has attitude which I like

Back