Need help as quick as i can...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dribbles

Reaction score
Hi i am about to give dribbles nibbles and honey a bath and am i right in thinking that i just need warm water and a towl?

As all my local shops are closed and they realy need a bath and i have just cleaned there cage out.

Advice quickly please

Hi i read the link but donot have the cornstarch or anything so is it ok to put 2.5inches of warm water in thesink and give them a bath that way?

The little guy I'm fostering.. he came to mereally dirty and messy and a wipe-down just wasn't going to do it, so Iput him in my bathtub with about 2" of lukewarm water and he hoppedaround in there for a bit and soon became somewhat clean again. So Ithink that it's okay, but only if you really need to. I dried him offreally well afterwards and , of course, kept him warm.

Are you giving them a bath because you cleaned the cage andwantclean buns to put back inor are both theirbottoms messy?

Hi, Rabbits get very stressed when having baths. Our vet was the one who told us NOT to give them baths.

We have a bunny that's 8 years old that has never had a bath.If thier bum is dirty I would just wash it with a wash cloth using warmwater only.

Susan/Soooska:apollo:

Well the reason is i think they ave black bitsaround there bums and skid marks on the tails and they wash there pawsbut are always still dirty.

If at all possible, I would avoid bathing arabbit. They do stress very easily, and rabbits have been known to diefrom stress. There is also the added (very high) risk of injury from arabbit's struggle to escape from the water, even if it is only a fewinches deep. Rabbits also chill easily, and it's hard to get a rabbitcompletely dry - right through to the skin. Using a hair dryer can berisky, as even on a low setting there is the chance of burning skin...arabbit's skin is extremely sensitive (which is why they are -unfortunately - often the animal of choice to use in testing of newskin products).

Dry bathing is the best option if a rabbit really does needcleaning...if you don't have the things needed for this, then mysuggestion would be to wait until the stores are open to get them, andthen go the dry bath route. It is much safer and much less stressfulfor the rabbits. I think I would only be prone to considering a bathfor a rabbit if it was in such a mess that it's health would becompromised...matted, dried diarrhea around the rear that wascompromising them, for example...and even then would only wash the partthat needed it, not the entire animal.

Everyone has given you great advice.

I would get a warm cloth and just wipe them down. I made the mistake ofgiving Basil a bath when I first got him (I had no clue) and he almostdied. He went into shock and I felt terrible.

If you absolutely must, just dip their rear end in some warm water andthen wipe it off. Be careful, though, about putting them back outside.Make sure theyre nice and dry first!

i use a shampoo spray if my rabbits get really dirty. just spray it on and brush
its alot less stressfull then a bath

Dribbles wrote:
Well the reason is i think they ave black bits around therebums and skid marks on the tails and they wash there paws but arealways still dirty.

Hi Dribbles,

I have two buns that have a difficult time cleaning their hindquarters. They get dried poop stuck to their tails and fur around theirbutts.
I try to carefully clip out what I can, with a pair of blunt-nose scissors.
The rest I first try to clean with warm water and a cloth...warm water in a spraybottle works well for this.
Really tuff stuff can be loosened up with a little baby oil....I put iton a paper towel and then work it into the spot that needs to becleaned.
Sometimes I'll take advantage and clip their nails at this time, too....if their not too stressed.

On occasion the buns have needed to have a more through cleaning, like when Rosie came to us covered in grease and oil.
I put a large towel down in the tub and get it wet with warm water...not floating, but throughly soaked.
I then put a couple of inches of water in a plastic storagecontainer...one just big enough for the bun to fit in with a littleextra room for cleaning....not tootall either.
The plastic container goes on the towel in the tub.
Bun goes in the container...clean only what needs to be cleaned DON"TSOAK THE ENTIRE BUN.....I use a bit of Dawn dishsoap ifneeded...washa=washa-rinsey=rinsey....dry-dry-dry and dry again.
Swaddle them in a warm dry blankie.
Give some treats, hugs, and kisses.
Make sure the bun stays warm and out of cold drafts until they are completely dry.
(Not a recommendation but.........Binkie loved the hair dryer on low and warm , NOT hot or cool.)

`jim

Back