Need health advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawn

Reaction score

Well I Just got off the phone with the Vet I have been taking Bustertoo and I am not to happy. I got Buster on April 4th and he has had arunny noise and sneezing some crustiest around the eyes (almost likesleep). I thought it was from him sniffing dust I took him to the vetand they did not find any reason to give him antibiotics. A week or sowent by and I cleaned the house tried different rooms to keep him intried different beddings. He is very happy runs jumps blinkys and humsand humps so I do not think its stress. I took him back and they gaveme eye cream and antibiotic for him and the eyes are good but stillsneezing and nose running and white discharge from the nose. I calledto give the vet the update and he said its probably just how the rabbitis and discontinue the antibiotic. Can keep putting on the eye cream tokeep crusty's away.

I also asked about neutering him.The nurse asked why and I said I can'tsit on the floor with him any more as he gets to excited. They said itwas a risky procedure to do on a rabbit. it coast 90 dollars and theykeep him over night. They do not do the laser they just cut off thetentacles.

I was looking through the link above about herbal remedies but not surewhat to get for him the vet never said he definitely has some thing.The vet seamed knowledgeable his daughter had a rabbit and he took careof one of my rabbits when I was younger and a guinea pig. I am going tocall around I definitely want to get him fixed. Wouel pay extra forlaser and a easyer recovery on the bunny.

Hi Dawn,

The laser surgery can cost up to $2,000. I don't see whythey're saying that the operation to neuter is difficult. Irealize that animals are sensitive to anesthesia, but many doctors doso without any problems. I don't really know ifthis is the best doctor for you to be dealing with.

As to the pasturella, a valued member of the form BunnyMommy, has beengiving medication to her rabbit, Sherman, with great success.You might want to find out what the doctor had written up for her togive to Sherman.

I'm wondering if the vet isn't to rabbit saavy and that's why you'rerunning into the hesitation of him to treat your little one.You might want to glance at the following to see if the symptoms arewhat your rabbit has:http://islandgems.net/diseases.html

As to herbal remedies, you might try this site:http://islandgems.net/herbalremedies.html

Keep us posted!

-Carolyn

Eye Crusties? I thought that was normal? Megan haswhat looks like sleepy dust on her eyes from time to time, just in thecorner, that can easily just be flicked off. It looks no different thenwhen a dog wakes up. No runny eyes or nose or anything. Should this bea problem then?

I don't think you have to worry about Megan,Michelle. That sounds normal. If her eyes and nosearen't running and it only happens from time to time, I'd not worry.

-Carolyn

Okay! phew! glad to hear that its normal! :) Iwish I could say the same for poor little Rahoon. His eyes are crustedshut so he can't see and wont clean himself :( But hes still just asactive as he was before he broke his back legs. He just can't see wherehe's going :( I hope he's happy though! He doesn't seem to be in anypain.

Hi Buck,

Rahoon is Michelle's hamster, and he's way past the normal age of ahamster. Pamnock knows about hamsters as well, and the doctors havesaid it's par for the course of his old age. He's going to be 3 yearsold, I think and most live to be not past two, I've been told. I guessit just is one of those geriatric things.

It is terrible. Rahoon has it hard. Michelle has often wished for hispassing, but then the little tike gets up and starts getting aroundagain

She referred to him as HamHam once, and some of us still call him that.

-Carolyn

Actually Carolyn, little Rahoon is almost 4! Hestill eats and cleans his cage like any other hamham but he can't seebecause his eyes have crusted completely over. It's been like this forabout 4 months now. Sometimes both eyes are shut, sometimes just one.Last year he fell off the table somehow at night and broke his backlegs, but he's healed from that too. I do sometimes wish he'd just passaway already because I feel sorry for him, but the little tyke justkeeps going and going.

Dawn: I would definitly give some thought togetting a second opinion on your bun...I only say this because of whatI have gone through here in Tainan with my girls and trying differentvets. I was told by one vet there was NOOOOO way I was going to get thesurgery performed on my girls anywhere in TAIWAN..it was far todangerous. Then the vet I go to now, gave me a name and number of areputable vet in Taipei who will perform the sugery....his reasoningfor vet #1's opinion???

He did not want to admit to not having the knowledge about rabbits inorder to perform the sugery~and therefore did not thinkanyone else would have the know how..sad but true :shock:

My two cents anyhow...I wish you all the best with Buster (and a little hug for him please..xoxox)

Thanks all. I called the local Animal Rescue that adopts out Rabbitsand in order to adopt them out they spay and neuter them. They gave methe # of a Vet that dose the neutering for them. I am going to give hima call see if I can bring Buster by for a visit this week.

MyBunnylovesMe have you tried just soaking his eye with a warm wetcloth. It will keep it moist and maybe you can clean the eye up so hecan see a little better! Sounds like HamHam has had a long happy life!!:D

YIPEEEEE!!!
luxhello.gif
I found another Vet through the local rescue who also worksfor the forestry Dept. . I just got off the phone with him and soundedvery knowledgeable. He said he can nuttier him and has done it plentyof times. He wants to see Buster tonight about the nose andsneezing I have an appointment for 8:00. He said we should try anotherantibiotic and not give up so easy. :DIt gave me so muchhope!
luxhello.gif
Icame home today and busters nose wasall slimes. :(Iknowif he dose have snuffles we are not out of the woods yetbut to have some one who wants to work with you to do the best for mylittle guy makes me feel sooo much better! :D

Thanks all and to Bunnymommy I have learned a lot from reading yourposts about how to care for a sick bunny and from reading every onesGREAT replys!

Dawn, I'm so glad that you've found a good vet whoactually cares for the health of your bunny and is not just trying tomake a dollar. Some of those are so quick to recommendeuthanasia. It's good to know that he's willing to go theextra mile to help restore your bun to help.

So glad you could get some insights through Sherman'sillness. I was hoping that my posts could be of assistance toothers who are having the same difficulties.

I'm so sorry your little guy is having to suffer this, but a lot oflove, attention, and a few treats sometimes helps to ease theinconvenience that they feel when they're not feeling theirbest. ;)

Just in case this is helpful, I'd just like to mention that Sherman wasprescribed Baytril during his first round of sneezing and it clearedeverything right up! I'm told that Baytril is a good choicefor bunnies with these types of illnesses because it has no significantnegative side effects.

Hope this helps! We'll be sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

thats wonderful! i was about tosuggest that you look for another vet. my vet isabsolutely great-when i had pet rats & they needed care, shewas great with them. when i first got batman, he had snuffles &had to be put on two rounds of (different) antibiotics, but she was sodedicated to getting him better. congratulations on finding a goodvet!! :)

That's Great, Dawn! :dude:

Keep us posted as to what he says. I'm so happy for you that you found someone. I know how you love your little guy.

Good Luck!

BunnyMommy...Look at you!! You're giving great advice now. And you didn't think you could. Hmmmppphh!!

BatBunny,

I have a friend who says rats are very cool pets. They're smart,loving, and devoted. I'll take a bunny of course, but honestly, it wasa surprise that bats can be like that. I never thought they cared.

-Carolyn

Good luck with your vet visit Dawn! Sounds likeyou found a great vet that will help get your lil bunny back tonormal as soon as possible :D Let us know how itgoes!

~pam

Well It was a good visit. When the Vet saw hisnose he said we definitely need to clean that up if your going to begiving bunny kisses!!! :DIt is snuffles it is not in hislungs yet the Vet gave me Enrofloxacin a stronger antibiotic than thelast one. He has 10 days of more meds but I have gotten better atadministering them. He even got a shot of it in the bum poor little guywas soooo good!! Luckily Idont have to do that. Icould tell Buster liked this Vet better too he didnt nip at this one.:) He was sulking in the corner for a bit when we got home but has comeout running circles around me and tickling my feet again. :) Hahaha Hejust started licking them!! He's sooo crazy!

New Bunny $10.00, Pet supplies $100.00, Toys $50.00, Larger cage$70.00, Vet visits $115.00, $80.00 so he will stop using yourleg to show his love, weekly Carrots $10.00

Unconditional bunny love and kissesPRICELESS!!!!

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Hey, Dawn, I think that enrofloxacin is thegeneric version of the Baytril that Sherman was using. Itcleared him right up and he didn't have any negative sideeffects. Your bun should do well with it also.

Good luck! :)

That's great news Dawn! (Not the snuffles part,but that the vet knew what was wrong & gave meds to take careof it!) Looks like your lil bunny is happy about it tooprobably thinking "yay my mommy loves me, she gives me yucky stuff butI don't mind (ok maybe I do mind a lil...but!), I feel better!":DGood luck!

~pam

woo hoo! very glad to hear that!

carolyn-yea, my ratties were wonderful. i had a bunch butonly two (a siamese & a black satin...yes,there arelotsa breeds of rats just like buns & people even showthem!!)from the time that they were young untill they bothdied of cancer. they each lived about 2 1/2 years-a pretty long timefor rats. theyre super smart & can be very affectionate. forkids, they make a better pet than a hamster-with the exception thatthey dont live very long.

Back