Need breeder help- doe's first litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbbyJane

Reaction score
Hello All,

My doe had her very first litter this morning but there's only 1 kit. I'm a little concerned with this news. I know it's possible, but is it also possible that she has more inside still? I called the Vet and they haven't gotten back to me yet and I'm concerned. I would also like to have formula at the ready in case she were to stop feeding due to stress. Any suggestions on where to get it or how to make it? Lastly, the nest my doe made is just an open hole in the ground. She didn't use fur or any of the materials I supplied her. Should I help her out or leave it alone?

At this point you should be able to easily feel babies if she had any if you get her out and palpate her. Even if you don't want to put any pressure at all, just holding your hand on her belly for about a minute you would be able to feel movement.
They don't feed much for the first couple days and honestly formula almost never works. Does handle stress surprisingly well and they only need to feed once or twice a day.
She might still make a nest on her own, especially if she does happen to have more babies in her. But you could still help out and put some fur around it.

You can help her out, if you don't have a stash of fur from brushing or false pregnancies (doesn't matter which rabbit) you can ose cotton wool or even dryer lint to insulate the nest, it's very important that the kit stays warm, which is quite a problem for a singleton. I even put an electric 3W heating element under one corner of the nestbox to make sure none get chilled.

Their instincts are a little voice in their heads what to do next, that can be easily droned out by meddling too much. First timers sometimes get the sequence wrong or are surprised by the pace of events. What they need ist rest, food and privacy, I would not bring her to the vet now unless something is clearly wrong.

There could be more kits comming, she might pluck fur later, or not, just make sure the kit is safe and warm now.

Trying to handfeed just in case is quite likely to not end well, they have very sensitive tummys and lungs, and rabbit milk is something rather special. Most feed within 24h, can be even longer though. Some does do not feed when feeling watched, or someone is hovering around. Prey animals.

Back