Need Advice Re Buttercup

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone, Buttercup seemed ok when he got back from the Vets yesterday. Then last evening he wouldn't eat again for a period of time. I did give him the Ovol again, he ate after that. He seemed to rest during he the night.

This morning he isn't doing alot. He ate his papaya tablet, some dill, drank some water. He's now resting in one of his litter boxes.

Of course Chris has gone to workand will be gone all day and evening. I really hope my baby is ok today.

Susan:)

Im glad to hear he's still doing ok. Is he eating his hay and pellets?

Hows his belly doing? Do you feel any more fluid building up?

Also, did you ask your vet if maybe he could give you an emergency number for over the weekend? Its so scary if you dont have any e-vets who know what their doing..

Buttercup had a Chest X-ray and and Abdominal Ultra Sound. Supposedly they were both normal. He also had the fluid sent out to be tested, haven't got those results yet.

He's eating veggies really well, I've given him pumpkin which he is eating. I haven't seen him eat any pellets and very little hay and he's drinking alot of water. He's peeing ok, his poos are small and they have the mucous on them.

He is resting alot today.

So Buttercup is not eating alot, he did have a little bit of dill this morning.Chris did give him some Critical Care this morning. He is drinking alot of water. He is peeing but I have seen no poos since last evening.

I do have this Nutri-Cal (for dogs and cats). Should I give this and also how much do I give and how do I give it. Sorry i have never given this stuff before.

Thanks

I tried the usual advice we give here -- smudging it on Pipp'spaw expecting her to lick it off -- but lo and behold, she started washing her face! The stuff was EVERYWHERE. Sticky bun!

Now I just put a drop on my finger -- 1/4 to a 1/2 inch ribbon -- and stick it behind their teeth.

Herbs like parsley and other leafy ones also seem to help stiimulate the appetite.

Pats for Buttercup:pet: Hugs for Susan.. :hug1

sas :clover:

Pipp wrote:
Now I just put a drop on my finger -- 1/4 to a 1/2 inch ribbon -- and stick it behind their teeth.

Good idea Pipp, that's the first I heard of that. I have no problems with my two feeding Nutrical, because I feed it to them all the time even when they are not sick. I squeeze 1/2 inch on to some rolled oats and then cover it with more rolled oats so it doesn't stick. And my bunnies gobble it up. Feed this before they get their regular feedings so they are more hungry for food.

Give Buttercup up to an inch since she is a bigger bunny.

Stan

Thanks for the info on the Nutri-cal. Now another question, since he's not eating hay, do you think i should get some Alfalfa hay? It sounds like bunnies like it better than Timothy.:?

Thanks

I actually gave Babette alfalfa when she was very ill but never knew if it was the correct thing.

Iguess because you don't know the source of the problem yet it may be better to not give it. if buttercup is getting CC there is timothy hay in it for fiber.
maureen:pink iris:

SOOOSKA wrote:
do you think i should get some Alfalfa hay?
That's what I do. Anything is better than nothing. When Pebbles had her head tilt, she would continue to eat Alfalfa hay and Alfalfa pellets. She would even pick out the Alfalfa and leave the Timothy behind. She actually gained weight when she was sick and started to get some mushy poos after a week of too muchAlfalfa. When she got better, I cut back on the Alfalfa to the point she gets no Alfalfa.

I hope Buttercup is doing better Susan....it's just such a worry when our babies arenot doing very well.

I remember when i first gave Pippi nutripet (the same thing as you guys call nutrical) he licked it straight of my finger..but after a couple of time's he wouldn't touch it anymore...he used to pull this cute little face when i tried to give it to him.

Thinking of you both

~Cheryl

How is Buttercup doing?

SOOOSKA wrote:
He did mention about giving Lasix to him in the future. Randy he mentioned it as a liquid, have you heard of it coming in liquid form?

I meant to respond to this before and guess I forgot. When BunBun was sick, my vet gave the Lasix script in liquid form.

Oh gosh poor Buttercup isn't eating a heck of lot. We are giving him pumpkin twice a day. He'll eat a little bit of his veggies he'll eat blueberries and carrots. I know not the best for him to eat but right now we just want him to eat

He hasn't touched hay for a few days now or pellets. Chris has been giving him the Critical Care 2-3 time a day.

His back legs seem to be weak.

Honestly both Chris and I thought he was better off with the fluid in him, he's certainly not our Buttercup now. He has no joy in him.

We really don't want to bring him back to the vets at the moment as we are worried he'll come back even worse than he is. At least here someone is always with him and we can hand feed him, rub his little head and just keep him company.

Susan

Hi Susan,

I've not posted in this thread yet, but I've been following it quietly- having no medical information to add. Just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you and Buttercup and I really hope he picks up soon for you...

:hug: For you, Chris and Buttercup

Jen xx

Susan, have you tried mixing some pumpkin in with the critical care (or with just moist pellets) and putting them on a plate to see if he will eat them? Also try offering it to him on a spoon- Max would only eat that way for a while. You could even mix in a little bit of oats if he likes them to encourage him to eat.

Hes not eating any hay then? Did you try spritzing it with something yummy like apple juice?

Does he drink on his own?

I keep praying Buttercup will be well soon. Wish there was more I could do to help..

Haley

I would try every type of hay there is if he's not eating timothy! Any hay is better than none. My bunnies especially like Oat and Orchard grass hays. Even Kaytee makes a pretty decent orchard grass.

Poor guy--thinking of him and you!:hug:

I also mix some pumpkin in CC and sometimes a little pineapple juice but just a little.
beau eats this stuff out of a bowl.

Critical care actually has fiber in it.
Hope things improve ,Susan
maureen

Latest posts

Back