Need advice for m bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About the megacolon...Its genetic and its the most common in spotted rabbits that have two spotted genes- which means they are mostly white with no spots on their back. So if your rabbit has that pattern he could have it.

I've had a megacolon bunny. The biggest symptom is the poos are twice as big as other rabbits and sometimes oval.

About water
If he's not drinking water and you syringe it- I would make sure he is getting the right amount of fluids a rabbit needs per day so he is well hydrated— because if there is an impaction or blockage lots of fluids will help it move through. A rabbit can't digest things right if it isn't hydrated. Also I would mix a week solution of electrolytes or pedialyte for infants.

One source says rabbit needs:
A rabbit's average daily water intake is 50-150 ml/kg of body weight, and a 2 kg (rabbit drinks about as much water daily as a 10 kg dog.)

Another source says
Meaning, expect a 4 pound rabbit to drink one cup of water a day, or less.

So I would make sure your rabbit gets the right amount of water in him.
He does not drink water in his own so it is a problem. I have to syringe feed him which he hates. He also does not let me syringe feed him I have to take him in my lap and feed water with a dropper. I still try to give him about half cup a day. He is a REW full white with no black spots. Thank you so much for helping me.

When bunnies produce liquid cecotrophes what does that mean ? And he is also eating it that is licking off the liquid ceco. I have been prescribed metrodinazole for this. But its an antibiotic so I am afraid to give. If they have worms do they produce liquid ceco and metrodinazole is given for a bacterial infection of the cecum, in such cases do they produce firm poops ? I have also been said to give olfloxacin and Trimethoprim+ Sulfamethoxazole for his UTI. I will be sending his urine and stool for a test. But can they be given 2 antibiotics at a time ?

Is it safe to take all those Antibiotics together???? I don't know ... maybe someone else on here has done it before and will chime in.

——————————

If your vet definitely thinks your rabbit has a urinary tract infection I would give him that UTI drug right away. Because Urinary infections are very very painful and I think the pain from that could be what is making his him not drink water, and stress from pain could be the cause gut issues too.

You can look up antibiotics to see if they are safe here https://rabbit.org/health/antibiotics.html

I looked it up and Metronidazole and Trimethoprim+ Sulfamethoxazole all say low risk for diarrhea— so they sound safe and also commonly given to rabbits.

It sounds like Ofloxacin is an eyedrop?

Also, about he liquid cecotropes.
Are sure he doesn't have diarrhea? If he has solid round poos and then liquid cecos that's not diarrhea– so if poos are solid I might hold off on the metronidazole and see how the UTI meds work for him first. But if he has mushy poo all the time I would give the metronidazole right away.

Metronidazole—I think Your vet must think he has some bacteria or coccidiosis protozoal infection based on what's below.

http://vetbook.org/wiki/rabbit/index.php?title=Metronidazole

"Metronidazole is a commonly used benzimidazole drug in rabbits, effective in treating anaerobic bacterial and protozoal infections.

It is most commonly used to treat anaerobic infections associated with dental infections and coccidiosis with good clinical results.

Metronidazole kills target organisms by inducing formation of reactive intemediates within these organisms, resulting in disruption of DNA. Standard oral daily dosing with metronidazole for 7 days disrupts DNA (genotoxicity). This genotoxicity appears to resolve within 7 days of discontinuing drug administration. Additionally, metronidaole does not appear to be cytotoxic to lymphocytes at standard oral concentrations.​

_________

Is it safe to take all those Antibiotics together???? I don't know ... maybe someone else on here has done it before and will chime in.

——————————

If your vet definitely thinks your rabbit has a urinary tract infection I would give him that UTI drug right away. Because Urinary infections are very very painful and I think the pain from that could be what is making his him not drink water, and stress from pain could be the cause gut issues too.

You can look up antibiotics to see if they are safe here https://rabbit.org/health/antibiotics.html

I looked it up and Metronidazole and Trimethoprim+ Sulfamethoxazole all say low risk for diarrhea— so they sound safe and also commonly given to rabbits.

It sounds like Ofloxacin is an eyedrop?

Also, about he liquid cecotropes.
Are sure he doesn't have diarrhea? If he has solid round poos and then liquid cecos that's not diarrhea– so if poos are solid I might hold off on the metronidazole and see how the UTI meds work for him first. But if he has mushy poo all the time I would give the metronidazole right away.

Metronidazole—I think Your vet must think he has some bacteria or coccidiosis protozoal infection based on what's below.

http://vetbook.org/wiki/rabbit/index.php?title=Metronidazole

"Metronidazole is a commonly used benzimidazole drug in rabbits, effective in treating anaerobic bacterial and protozoal infections.

It is most commonly used to treat anaerobic infections associated with dental infections and coccidiosis with good clinical results.

Metronidazole kills target organisms by inducing formation of reactive intemediates within these organisms, resulting in disruption of DNA. Standard oral daily dosing with metronidazole for 7 days disrupts DNA (genotoxicity). This genotoxicity appears to resolve within 7 days of discontinuing drug administration. Additionally, metronidaole does not appear to be cytotoxic to lymphocytes at standard oral concentrations.​

_________
I am really scared to give him antibiotics. So I have not given him anything till now. I will be sending his urine and poop for test and then give the antibiotics. I wrote the name wrong its oflomac forte not ofloxacin. Only his cecos are liquid his other poops are firm. So I am wondering if I should give him metrodinazole. Can worms cause liquid cecos ?

I agree with squid pop and that’s about the extent of my knowledge on it too - painkillers would be a really good idea too. How quickly can you get the results for the faecal and urinary tests?

I don't think liquid cecotropes are the main symptom of worms. Rabbits don't often get the bad kinds of worms like tape worms. They get pin worms but they are small and you see them in the poos. I think liquid cecos are more a symptom of bacteria imbalance in the gut.

Do you have probiotics?- because that is a way of balancing out bacteria in gut without using antibiotics. I use Bene-bac probiotics sometimes.

I read that he wasn't peeing and you also said he wasn't drinking— so making sure you are giving him his cup of water a day is important. If rabbits dehydrate they go down hill very quickly. They can't digest anything if they aren't hydrated. And if he had sludgey pee drinking water would help flush it out.

I wouldn't be too afraid of giving those particular antibiotics because it does say they are safe for rabbits— and they are common antibiotics.

I have given my rabbits antibiotics many times over the years— and none of my rabbits have died or gotten diarrhea from the antibiotics.

I agree with squid pop and that’s about the extent of my knowledge on it too - painkillers would be a really good idea too. How quickly can you get the results for the faecal and urinary tests?
I will get the routine report fast but the culture report takes 2 to 3 days.

I don't think liquid cecotropes are the main symptom of worms. Rabbits don't often get the bad kinds of worms like tape worms. They get pin worms but they are small and you see them in the poos. I think liquid cecos are more a symptom of bacteria imbalance in the gut.

Do you have probiotics?- because that is a way of balancing out bacteria in gut without using antibiotics. I use Bene-bac probiotics sometimes.

I read that he wasn't peeing and you also said he wasn't drinking— so making sure you are giving him his cup of water a day is important. If rabbits dehydrate they go down hill very quickly. They can't digest anything if they aren't hydrated. And if he had sludgey pee drinking water would help flush it out.

I wouldn't be too afraid of giving those particular antibiotics because it does say they are safe for rabbits— and they are common antibiotics.

I have given my rabbits antibiotics many times over the years— and none of my rabbits have died or gotten diarrhea from the antibiotics.
Yes, I am giving him water. I got Bene-Bac for him but its not available here. The one that they sold was quite old and expired in a month's time so I can't use it. But an expert suggested enterogermina as probiotic. Its available here and I have it but I have never given it to him.

Metronidazole isn't used for worms— it says bacteria and protozoal infections.

Here is a link to Medirabbit on worms.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Nem_gen/Nematodes.htm

Here are some symptoms of worms...

The presence of thick brown threads of mucus in the droppings can be an indication for the presence of intestinal worms. When reaching a peak number, they cause pain and the mass of live and dead adult worms may lead tocecal impaction, accompanied by stasis, severe pain and gas formation. This is independent from the type of worm (pinworm or tapeworm) in rabbits.

There are other medications listed for worms here...
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Pass/Pass_en.htm

Metronidazole isn't used for worms— it says bacteria and protozoal infections.

Here is a link to Medirabbit on worms.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Nem_gen/Nematodes.htm

Here are some symptoms of worms...

The presence of thick brown threads of mucus in the droppings can be an indication for the presence of intestinal worms. When reaching a peak number, they cause pain and the mass of live and dead adult worms may lead tocecal impaction, accompanied by stasis, severe pain and gas formation. This is independent from the type of worm (pinworm or tapeworm) in rabbits.

There are other medications listed for worms here...
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Pass/Pass_en.htm
Yeah I know this. I read these sites they are very helpful. I was given metrodinazole not for worms but liquid ceco. For worms Kutu has been given Zentel( albendazole). On seeing the xray an expert said it could be that the mass is his cecum which has swollen because of worms. Hence the deworming.

20180621_180700.jpg 20180621_180712.jpg
Give the drugs the vet has given you, it can only help
Thank you so much. I trust the expert who has given me the meds a lot but Kutu's tummy is very sensitive hence I am scared to give him medicines. He ate little diarrhea the last time I gave him Septran. Can you tell me if these two products are the same ?View attachment 37618 View attachment 37618

The links aren’t working, can you tell if the active ingredient is the same?

I am not familiar with both products, give them a google to find out what the active ingredients are.

This is the routine report of Kutu's stool test the culture will arrive later. What does it mean when it says that pus cell and vegetative cells are present. Screenshot_20180623-025637_Drive.jpg

You are taking about this Bene- Bac isn't ?20180621_180700.jpg 20180621_180712.jpg

The odour described as offensive - this isn’t normal, rabbit faeces shouldn’t smell of much.
Pus cells are dead leukocytes which normally indicates bacterial infection.
Vegetative cells are bacterial cells.
I don’t know whether these findings might be normal in a rabbit, as they obviously have bacteria in their caecum? Otherwise, some sort of infection. I don’t know, sorry. What does your vet think?

The odour described as offensive - this isn’t normal, rabbit faeces shouldn’t smell of much.
Pus cells are dead leukocytes which normally indicates bacterial infection.
Vegetative cells are bacterial cells.
I don’t know whether these findings might be normal in a rabbit, as they obviously have bacteria in their caecum? Otherwise, some sort of infection. I don’t know, sorry. What does your vet think?
This is his routine urine report. Vets here have no knowledge about rabbits and prescribe wrong meds. There is an expert who helps I will ask him.Do you think the findings are not normal ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180623-184009_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20180623-184009_Drive.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 13
Back