Need advice for m bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Melonex is another brand for Metacam/Meloxicam from what I have read. So, that is good. That is what we give our rabbits for pain.
I am very scared to give him meds. I read somewhere that melonex is not good to be given during kidney problems and since Kutu is having sludge is melonex okay to give. Also I have been prescribed to give him vitamin C tablets. Is it good ? This vitamin C tablet has rose hip, citrus bioflavonoids and Vitamin C.

Thank you so much for your help. There are no rabbit savvy vets here. The vets say they can treat rabbits but give wrong medications. Kutu is only having liquid cecos. Yes I give him greens to make up for his water intake. I give him water spinach, celery leaves, cilantro and others. Cranberries have vitamin C so I was asked to give them. Are the dried but little sweetened cranberries harmful for them ? His urinalysis culture came negative for UTI but his routine report showed growth in cells.
Dried cranberries are high in sugar. So you have to be careful how many you give them.....they can't have a lot of sugar. Here's a list of foods that are good for them, and the ones you should limit: https://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

Our rabbit had some issues with cilantro - it hurt his tummy. Some rabbits don't tolerate every thing that is on the approved list. What kind of antibiotics are you giving to him - is that the Sentra? Oh wait, should that read Septra? If it's Septra, that is on an article by a house rabbit society as being safe for treating rabbits. It is sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim but I don't know anything about the dosage. Here's that article: http://www.allearssac.org/pdf/med.pdf
However, we tried two of our rabbits on this medication and it made them sick, they didn't want to eat or drink, etc.

But this could be a number of things - have you looked at enteritis? Here's an article about that and the treatment they recommend: http://www.bunnybunch.org/rabbitcare.html#anti
The problem with metoclopromide is that if there is a blockage, the meds could kill them. Do you believe there is a blockage?

Dried cranberries are high in sugar. So you have to be careful how many you give them.....they can't have a lot of sugar. Here's a list of foods that are good for them, and the ones you should limit: https://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

Our rabbit had some issues with cilantro - it hurt his tummy. Some rabbits don't tolerate every thing that is on the approved list. What kind of antibiotics are you giving to him - is that the Sentra? Oh wait, should that read Septra? If it's Septra, that is on an article by a house rabbit society as being safe for treating rabbits. It is sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim but I don't know anything about the dosage. Here's that article: http://www.allearssac.org/pdf/med.pdf
However, we tried two of our rabbits on this medication and it made them sick, they didn't want to eat or drink, etc.

But this could be a number of things - have you looked at enteritis? Here's an article about that and the treatment they recommend: http://www.bunnybunch.org/rabbitcare.html#anti
The problem with metoclopromide is that if there is a blockage, the meds could kill them. Do you believe there is a blockage?
I have been giving him cilantro for quite sometime. I give 2 cranberries a day. Yes its septran but I am no longer giving him that. The first time that I gave him septran a few months back he has soft poops I looked up enteritis then. Are you talking about blockage in the urinary tract or tummy ?

I am very scared to give him meds. I read somewhere that melonex is not good to be given during kidney problems and since Kutu is having sludge is melonex okay to give. Also I have been prescribed to give him vitamin C tablets. Is it good ? This vitamin C tablet has rose hip, citrus bioflavonoids and Vitamin C.
Sludge is in the bladder, not the kidneys - the only way to know about kidney function is a blood test.
It is impossible for any of us to diagnose for you, and as we can’t see be rabbit it would be irresponsible to recommend particular drugs and dose rates.
It could be so many things, and until you give the medication or get more tests done you will nevertheless know and he will never get better!

Sludge is in the bladder, not the kidneys - the only way to know about kidney function is a blood test.
It is impossible for any of us to diagnose for you, and as we can’t see be rabbit it would be irresponsible to recommend particular drugs and dose rates.
It could be so many things, and until you give the medication or get more tests done you will nevertheless know and he will never get better!
No one here is experienced in collecting blood from rabbits so I am unable to do the blood test. I will ask vets if anyone can flush his bladder. Thank you so much for helping me.

Really good luck and definitely keep us updated! I’m happy to answer any questions you have, but I wouldn’t want to try and treat a rabbit over the internet and jeopardise it’s health and welfare. I hope he is okay <3

He is pooping but his cecos are liquid. I was also wondering if a doctor could look into his report. All the vets here are so ignorant about rabbits. How is your bunny doing now ? I am so happy you found someone to treat your little one.
My precious little friend passed away finally, but it was a recurrent problem with him. But first time when he had the first gastric stasis and ileus, vets were able to bring him back with these drugs and with liquid supplement by infusion. I honestly hope your bunny will make it and become healthy again.

My precious little friend passed away finally, but it was a recurrent problem with him. But first time when he had the first gastric stasis and ileus, vets were able to bring him back with these drugs and with liquid supplement by infusion. I honestly hope your bunny will make it and become healthy again.
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. He is an angel now looking over you. I really wish I had vets here who were rabbit savvy. There is nobody here who can properly diagnose rabbits.

Latest posts

Back