name wanted

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninchen

Reaction score
I got a new girlfriend for Pepe today.
pepeundfrau.jpg

She needs a name, starting with P.:huh2

I just put her in his cage, he cuddles with her, but he doesnt allow her to move around...then he starts biting her.:craziness

Hope bonding them this way will work, because I dont have a neutral cage for them...

It really does need to be done on neutral territory.

That doesn't have to be in a cage though, you can do it in an empty bath or somewhere he doesn't normally go, just so long as she has somewhere to live. You can also take them both out of his cage and completely neutralise it and then try them in there but that's really not advisable. By neutralise I mean scrub the shole cage down, every part of it, with a distilled vinegar and water solution.

I am concerned he will bully her and they will eventually fight (amongst other things).

In terms of a name, I'm USELESS at names, lol, so can't suggest anything, but I'm sure someone will suggest the perfect name. :)

I can not put them into the bath, because they are outdoor bunnies, they would start to loose their winter fur. (She was born outside and never was inside!)

The cage is 43 square feet and predator safe.
I can let them run in the garden but not at night of course.

Pepes friend Kandis died a few days ago:rip: and a rabbit should not live outside alone. The bonding can not wait until springtime.

It is not my first bonding, though.

I wish she would bite back (he is just a little show-off, but really a coward).

The breeders always put females to the males.:dunno

I'm sorry about Kandis.

Could you maybe divide the area in two so they each have their own space? and then maybe only put them together supervised until you are satisfied he won't bully her anymore? It's a lot for a new bunny to deal with, but also, he may not yet be ready for another friend, so he may also be unsettled.

It's ok for a bunny to be outside on their own as long as they get appropriate stimulation and contact, and if they were next to each other that would mean they could have company if they wanted.

If you choose to leave it as it is I hope you have two happily bonded bunnies soon :)

She sure is gorgeous.

It is really interesting: all german bunny experts advise NEVER to seperate bonding bunnies, not even when they are fighting.
(And never let a bunny live alone...neither in nor out...but that is another issue.)

They have to sort it out between themselves and have to stay together.
Only when they have big wounds, one should seperate them, but then the bonding was not successful and the two should not be forced to live together.

Until now it is rather harmless, no one is bleeding.

I did all my bondings like this, once with staff from a rabbit rescue org.
It works in most cases. Over here. :bunnyhug:

my new girl:
DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

I think people and areas just have different techniques, and will also have seen different things happen. I've not come across anyone who recommends do it in a particular bunnies territory though.

Hopefully they will be fine :) I can't wait to see pics of them all snuggled up together, make sure you share them with usand keep us updated :D

A neutral area would be much better of course!

I just have none.:(

I could never put a male to a female: they are much more aggressive over territory.

I am happy that she is much bigger than him.
Then: he is disabled, he is limbing.
I dont think they will really harm each other.:D

still have to find a name...

Is your new girl spayed?

Hopefully no one gets injured! Just putting a new bunny in another bunnies cage is not very safe. Rabbits can fight until the death.

Spaying of females is frowned upon here.
Some say it is against the german animal protection law.
Most breeders think it is cruel (unnecassary operation to manipulate the character of a pet).
The rescue orgs and animal shelters do not spay.

I know the pros (cancer) and cons, but I never needed to spay a female.

Pearl is my 12th rabbit, I usually have pairs: neutered males and unfixed females.

I got them all bonded (with different methods) and I never had nasty (bloody) bites.

Once I had three happy unneutered bonded females.

I just wanted to share my joy of having Pearl.

Instead with every post in this forum I have to explain myself.:(

Perhaps the differences in bunny care are just too big.

But I can not imagine that american bunnies are different in character compared to german buns.

I dont want to discuss this again and again.

So I guess I have to stop posting.:sosad

You don't have to stop posting (unless of course you want to).

The more people who come here, the more different views we get. Also, countries differ vastly. Both the UK and the US differ vastly from each other in many ways, and again Germany, Greece, Singapore all differ too (all countries represented here). People are just concerned because they care about the welfare of the bunnies, that's all. I said what I said because I work closely with the RSPCA and have seen some really awful things, and I also have to pick up the pieces when bonding goes wrong. People just care, that's all.

I think Pearl is a gorgeous name and goes great with Pepe :D When she stands up she looks quite regal, like I always imagine a Pearl might look.

Pearl looks lovely! I'm sorry to read of Kandis' passing...
I enjoy your posts here; many people have different methods that work for them. Please don't take any comments as negative. Bunny people try to make sure that the pros and cons of all situations are noted before doing something with rabbits.

I don't personally know how much you know about rabbits, and you don't know how much I know. That's why everyone posts their personal experiences, so that others can take them into consideration.

I debated spaying my doe, as both my males were already neutered. I wound up doing it because she lives in the house with me, and was very bad with her litterpan, and was grumpy and making nests without babies. she was very stressed. After the surgery, she is more friendly and better at going in the litterbox.

If I had a setup like yours, I probably wouldn't have spayed her.

See what I mean? Different experiences :)

You have had a lot of success with rabbit bonding. Do what has worked in the past, but we are trying to give you new ideas in case you need them :)

I'm sure Pepe and Pearl will work out their differences:)

Thanks.

I was out with a flash light: they sit cuddled togehter.

I dont think one of them will jump up and kill the other this night...

But Pepe doesnt allow Pearl to explore the rest of the setup.:grumpy:

She can eat and rest beside him, for the first day thats ok.

The farmer I got her from breeds sheep and rabbits for meat.

She never was outside a cage, hasnt been with other rabbits for month.

Lots of her siblings are already butchered.

Major changes for one day!

i think things are different for rabbits(and other things)in different countries. and i think it would do us all good to remember that. i haven't had Jamie neuteredbecause it's just him, as far as rabbits in the house go and we're not planning on getting more any time soon, so it was a risk that i just didn't want to take. i know the pros of neutering, but since he's not adding to the population or anything by being un-neutered, i don't see a need to put him at risk right now by doing that. i hope i'm not going to get flamed now.....:embarrassed:(me not fixing him hasn't been overly popular before)

The reason why I said what I said was because I am not aware that Germany has such drastic differences in rabbit care....it is almost the complete opposite as most of us do here in the US. Not saying that every one should do it, but I had never heard that it was "okay" before to just place unaltered rabbits in a cage together and expect them to get along. I wish it was that easy, really, but unfortunately for most people....that would end up with in a death of a beloved bunny.

undergunfire wrote:
it is almost the complete opposite as most of us do here in the US.

I know, I read in german and english forums, I compared the FAQ and that made me think...

Both Pepe and Pearl are still alive, unwounded, they sit near each other and are relaxed.

They will be perfectly fine in a few days, I guess.

And: He is altered, of course.;) Two unaltered rabbits in ones territory would be horrible.:shock:

Back