name wanted

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pearl is so gorgeous! Congrats on your beautiful new girl. I love the name you chose, it seems very fitting. Sorry to hear about Kandis though :( Do you know what happened to her?

My poor Kandis had lots of problems with her bladder.
We were at the vet so often, she got lots of antibiotics, her urine was sent away twice, we did an x-ray, but could not find stones...
Then she suddenly stopped eating and we could not force her to eat critical care. She just did not swallow it.
I felt that she did not want to live any more and asked the vet to put her to sleep (do you say that in english?)
The vet wanted to give her another day, to see how she reacts to all the injections.
She died a few hours later. We were with her and it was not peaceful.
She twitched for a few minutes, already on her side.
I never saw any of my rabbits die before. It was so awful.
We buried her in our garden. It snowed the next day.
:cry2

I am ashamed to say that, but I would rather have Kandis back, and give Pearl to someone else.

I didnt want to have Pepe alone outside in the snow.
The next breeder with outside buns was 10 minutes away...

Gosh, Ninchen, that's terrible :( I'm so sorry. Two of my rabbits have died, and both died in my arms- those were hands down the worst moments of my life. Don't feel too bad about wishing you had Kandis back instead of Pearl, you had Kandis for a long time and loved her and you hardly know Pearl yet. You were being a good bunny owner by finding Pepe a friend, even if you aren't really ready yet. I'm sure your love for Pearl will grow over time.

I'm so sorry for what you went through with Kandis. It's truly horrific to watch someone you love so much die in such a horrid way. Hopefully she is not at peace.

We do say 'put to sleep' in English, so that's a fine translation :)

Please don't be ashamed for saying you would rather have Kandis back. Many people go through that with grief, and also when a bun meant so much to you. It doesn't mean you will treat Pearl any less, all is means is that you love Kandis very much, which makes her very lucky to have been loved so much by someone.

On a side note, you said about not spaying, which is completely your right, but I just wondered what happens if they get uterine cancer, and also, whether it is seen as ok to spay to protect them against uterine cancer, not as a behaviour modification technique. I ask that because I don't know much about German laws and rules and things, and so it's purely out of curiosity and you don't have to answer if you don't want.

x

The question is: How high is the risk of uterine cancer really.

There are major doubts about the interpretation of the results of the so often quoted study.

The females in that study were a special kind of breed, every change in the uterus was counted, even totally harmless things, thats how the 80% came together...

Then:
Cancer is programmed in the genes, it is said it just "uses" another organ than the uterus...

Dont know if any of this is true.

I wondered if the males live usually longer because they can not get uterine cancer ?

Most people here have altered males and unaltered females...and the females are not known to have shorter lifespans because of that...

The statistics would show.

By the way: Declawing of any pet is strictly forbidden over here!!!

Ninchen wrote:
Spaying of females is frowned upon here.
Some say it is against the german animal protection law.
Most breeders think it is cruel (unnecassary operation to manipulate the character of a pet).
The rescue orgs and animal shelters do not spay.

I know the pros (cancer) and cons, but I never needed to spay a female.

Pearl is my 12th rabbit, I usually have pairs: neutered males and unfixed females.

I got them all bonded (with different methods) and I never had nasty (bloody) bites.

Once I had three happy unneutered bonded females.

I just wanted to share my joy of having Pearl.

Instead with every post in this forum I have to explain myself.:(

Perhaps the differences in bunny care are just too big.

But I can not imagine that american bunnies are different in character compared to german buns.

I dont want to discuss this again and again.

So I guess I have to stop posting.:sosad
Ninchen I'm intrigued by all this, especially by the debate about the spaying. I'd love to read up on that

I can only give a summary of the debate about spaying over here.

I never read the original study and I doubt I am able to interpret it, I have no scientific background.

Most of my girls mark with urine and nibble and dig a lot..that would be a big problem in the house!
And they build nests in spring...the seasons control hormones...
Once two girls built one nest togehter...they werent stressed.
It is always warm inside, perhaps thats another problem for inside females.

I think it is ok to spay, but it is not necessary for everyone, thats all.

Pepe and Pearl are getting used to each other, no bites or scratches.

Thanks, mine are mainly outside buns and only come in for exercise and company in particularily bad weather, I'll read up on it more
P.S. I love the name Pearl

in case someone wants to know: the bonding was successful.

DSC_0299.jpg

Latest posts

Back