Nail trimming!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertNErnie

Reaction score
Ok so Yesterday I was finishing of stripping my bedroom walls as the Rabbits had helped themself which prompted me to get decorating anyway as I was just about finished I noticed that the Rabbits nails needed trimming.
I had never done it before and I stated to panic a little but I thought be firm and remember what I had learnt from others on here, So I chose Ernie first, picked him up placed him on my duvet I gave him head strokes to get him relaxed and began cutting his nails he was perfect! just sat there nice and quiet no struggles no nips just waited till I finished!
Then was Bertie's turn, he don't like being raised from the floor much so I try to keep it as minimal as possible, I sat on the floor with him he didn't really like his nails being done so I had to re-think, I slowly rolled him over onto his back and tucked his ears away, he fell asleep instantly! So I was able to do all his nails!

I think of myself as a lucky bun owner first time trimming and no struggles, Perfect!:inlove: Love my buns, I do.

aww Lucky!
I think I need to take mine to a vet. I've tried everything.
2 people helping... 3 people helping.. a bunny burito.
a bunny burito with 2 people helping... It's too awkward
and my Harvey just doesn't want it to happen :(

how did you know you weren't going to clip it too far?

they have little veins like dogs and cats and im a pro at my dogs so i just used the same approach, 2mm from the pink for buns and 4mm for the dogs :biggrin:

lol everytime I go about this question everybody refers to
clipping dogs nails which I've had zilch experience in haha.
and somebody one told me to just trim the tip if they're not
long but sharp but Harvey fights back too much. so I guess its
to the vets for me lol.

You're super lucky you got the natural p-zaz for the nail
clipping skill ha ha. :)

well you know like our own nails if you clip them too far there sore? same goes for buns and dogs, imagine your hand, when your nails grow the 'grown' bit is white same for buns, when you clip your nails you dont take too much off otherwise your fingers get sore, if you use the same guide for your buns, with a little white bit left behind they wont get sore or bleed, and it still gives them some nails just not overgrown.
hope you grasp what im trying to say here lol

Haha you so cute! :hug2:

Im pretty sure I get exactly what you're saying for my
Winston and Moshi.

But Harveys nails just look plain black to me lol.

if there black just nip a little off the ends as you cant see the pink, is there no rough concrete or anything that will help down with the natural wearing down instead of a vet trip?

Hmm, There's concrete but there's no way of blocking it off.

Mmmm... Does digging in the dirt do anything? Cos they do a
lot of that during the day and leave big holes in the lawn...

Their nails don't actually look too long I don't think
and it's only Winstons that are super sharp but I think it's
just cos he's crazy and purposely tries to scratch me...

But They need to get their calci or something rather shot.
As I didn't know what it was before so I didn't get it done
for Harvey and Winston and now that I know I just need the
money for the vet since just to book the appointment for
the vet closest to me is 50 dollars a bunny so not sure how much extra to get the shots and nails done lol

i think my vet only asks for an extra 4 pounds per bun, not much and is quite reasonable, i think digging in the dirt should do it as when i do gardening my nails break :p

Honey's going for her 1st vet visit the 30th & nail trimming is on the agenda. She's doing pretty well trimming her own front nails: she digs in her dig box that is lined with bricks, but the back nails need trimming.

I read that if the bunny's nails are black or dark brown, you can't see the veins, so it's harder to know where to trim & not cause bleeding.

Ugh! Trimming the nails of a black bunny. Awful! It's a three person job to clip Smokey's nails...one to hold the bunny...one to hold the flashlight under the nail, to attempt to see a vein, and one to actually clip. Sometimes it takes a fourth to feed her at the same time.

lol, had my flashlight out too. But found in the Library, a great way to clip nails. You just clip the tips. Easy peasy for me on all three bunnies, Front and back. You just have to do it more than once every month or two. No worry about hitting the vein. Thanks to whoever put it in there.

K :)

I do like it's been mentioned here~ I just clip the tips. My two guys are black mini-rexes. One of them never needs his nails cut, which I have always found rather odd, but his brother needs regular attention(about once a month). We have hardwood floors in our house, so when I hear Peter tap dancing , I know it's time for a pedicure!

I had to give Gary a pawdicure this weekend. He does not like being restrained so I had to bribe him with crasins. I roll him over and clip a paw, feed a crasin, clip the next paw, feed a crasin etc. It keeps him calm and it gets easier each time.

I tell them it's time to take the points when I get scratched when I'm a speed bump. Generally it works out to every other week or so.

My vet throws in a free nail clip with an exam. Perhaps partially because they are so well behaved and don't need much clipped off?

Gordon wrote:
MiniLopHop wrote:
does not like being restrained

Yep, the bunny mentality is control and freedom. ;)
I totally agree. I understand why they hate it, but they have to learn sometimes to put up with it for a few minutes. Gary is still learning, he's only 10 months. Good thing he likes crasens so much that it's not terriblytraumatic. Bribery works wonders :)

url=http://example.com]I use this "nail grinder".[/url] I know its designed for dogs, but it has multiple different sized holes that you can stick each nail in.

I've tried clippers to no avail. I almost cut her quick once. The quick is the pink part that they're referring to. I like the nail grinder because I can trim down my rabbits just a little bit to where they're not stabbing/cutting me.

I'm pretty sure that in the wild their nails are gridned down (stone and other hard surfaces). I mean... there isn't someone going around clipping all of the wild bunny nails... I think. :lookaround :biggrin2:

Broderick wrote:
^Ha, I failed on that.

I use this "nail grinder".

***FIXED***

I have something like that for my dog, Jake. It works, but it does take time to grind down his nails. How long each nail? My boys are just learning to tolerate more time with grooming. How does your bunny do with the noise? Heck, Dobby is just getting used to the vacuum cleaner. I could just see him with this. lol.

I think it's a really good alternative to using nail clippers. I'm still nervous about it. And cutting the tips are working for me. My rabbits are a very far removed from the wild bunnies, so I think it won't matter if I clip them. lol

K:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just trim each nail for a few seconds. 5-10. It doesn't take too long. Sometimes longer if they've gotten too long.

Jordan doesn't mind the nail trimmer. She in fact loves being groomed. When I use the shampoo her fur and then brush her she usually stretches out. She's a spoiled brat and loves being pampered. Haha.

Latest posts

Back