Nail Clippers

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12354somebunny

Reaction score
so last night, i clipped Button's nails myself for the very first time (yay!), well not really myself, got the hubby to carry her while i clipped, she doesnt like to be flipped. previously, i got my vet to do it.

below is a pic of the nail clipper that i used (a small sized scissor-clipper). it worked fine til i got to the nails on her hind legs. those nails are SO thick! i had trouble clipping them with the scissors.

I'm going to buy another nail clipper, but before i do that, i'd like to know which type of clippers work best on thick nails? should i get the guillotine type which are commonly used for dogs? or should i get the scissors-clipper but in a much bigger size? or is there another better type of clipper out there?

thanks, everyone :D

clipper.jpg

Hey there!

You can use the Guillotine kind, or the human ones like I use. For the thicker nails, I have a bigger version of the human ones. Only thing, I have heard on here before that you need to be careful with those as they can crack or split the nail. I've not had that happen though.

I've not used the clipper scissors you used, so I'm not sure about those;). How did they work?

I pay the vet techs to clip my rabbits' nails. With one of my rabbits, the larger one, they have to use dog clippers.

Here's a video that teaches a nail clipping technique. In it, they use the scissor kind. I think it's whatever you're most comfortable using, though.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=11iQkABq6r0[/ame]

I use the same pair as in the picture you posted, somebunny. I like them a lot, they work great!

Thanks for the replies, everyone :)

I agree, Hazel.. we could read tons of articles about how to clip nails etc, but nothing explains as well as a video! I've watched that video before and thought it was great.. the 'squeeze squeeze' tip is the best!! i would never have thought of that myself :p now i don't have to worry so much about accidentally cutting the quik

AngelnSnuffy, those scissors-clipper worked well for me but only for the nails on the front legs. When I got to the hind legs, those nails were really really thick and i had to use quite a lot of force on the scissors-clipper before i could clip the nails. I'm not sure if that's because my clipper is a small-sized one, and whether it would be easier to clip thick nails by using a bigger scissors-clipper?

Is your scissor-clipper a large-sized one, undergunfire?

Thanks, AngelnSnuffy. I made the video and uploaded it to YouTube. Skylar is my "Touch Me Not" rabbit. He isn't nearly as calm as he appears on the video!

Thank you, Hazel! I'm "velveteenlop" on YouTube. My videos may not get a million viewers, but if they help our "rabbit society", then I'm a happy camper.

And, if anyone has a web site and wants to link to any/all of my videos, feel free to do so. I'm not selling anything, just pushing rabbit care education/information.

Oh, and while Melissa uses cat clippers on Skylar, they use dog clippers on Pixel. She has really thick nails.

Flick, those are great videos, keep 'em coming ;)

and i'm also 'somebunnie' on youtube :) for a 'touch me not' bunny, Skylar handled so well in the videos!! i don't think i can get my buns to be in the position Skylar was in when he got his nails clipped.. they run for their lives if i ever touch their precious furry little chests!

P/S: I love Skylar's fur, he's so nice and fluffy!

somebunny wrote:
Is your scissor-clipper a large-sized one, undergunfire?

Nope, they are small...but they do a great job on my guys :).

Thanks everyone. You're appreciation and enthusiasm is greatly appreciated. I've been told (more than once) that the videos are boring. One person told me I should hire an actor to memorize a script and play the part of the vet?!?!?!??!!?!?! Needless to say, I've gotten quite discouraged about this project. Originally, I'd planned to make an interactive cd with text and videos for shelters and rescues to hand out to adopters, but the comments I received about the demo were so negative, that I shelved it.

Maybe I should blow off the dust bunnies and try again.

Any suggestions? I think I need a video giving reasons to spay.

Thanks everyone!

thanks, undergunfire :) maybe mine are just blunt..although i just got them :X

Flick, no, i dont find your videos boring at all! were they bunny-people, all those who said your videos were boring?? i found the videos informative, and now i know how a nose swab is done.. i could almost feel the pain up my own nose when i watched skylar :shock: oh and i've just subscribed to your youtube. i'll be waiting for new videos!

I found toe nail clippers to work the best. They are very very sharp and can cut through steel, so it allows for a fast cut. And they are "spring" loaded, so that if a bun jerks their foot, its easier to let go, so that you are not pulling on their nails (I HATE when that happens).

P4898_hero.jpg

Make sure its the big one's, for toe nails, not regular finger nail size.

Please don't be discouraged by the youtube crowd. There are a lot aholes there, but also a lot of ppl looking for help. What you are doing is awesome, just remember that.

Flick wrote:
Thanks everyone. You're appreciation and enthusiasm is greatly appreciated. I've been told (more than once) that the videos are boring. One person told me I should hire an actor to memorize a script and play the part of the vet?!?!?!??!!?!?! Needless to say, I've gotten quite discouraged about this project. Originally, I'd planned to make an interactive cd with text and videos for shelters and rescues to hand out to adopters, but the comments I received about the demo were so negative, that I shelved it.

Maybe I should blow off the dust bunnies and try again.

Any suggestions? I think I need a video giving reasons to spay.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks, again, everyone. With your enthusiasm, I have "dipped my toe" into the water, again, so to speak.

Pixel has two benign tumors on ther chin that will be surgically removed soon. I asked the vet if I could video tape the anthesthesia process and if he would explain it on the video. He agreed to that much, but won't let me video tape the actual surgery since she's my rabbit. That's okay with me ! Don't think I want to be watching anyway! :shock:

But, there's alot of anxiety with putting a rabbit under, and I thought a video showing and explaining the process would help settle fears.

Thanks, Somebunny, for subscribing to my videos. I need to get off my _____ and get more done! Everyone's enthusiasm helps more than y'all know. I'm a sucker for positive reinforcement!

Latest posts

Back