Mysterious bleeding, dying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unsweetened_tea

Reaction score
I breed rabbits, and starting a few days ago, they mysteriously started, one by one, to bleed from the nose, eyes, and mouth. And it just goes from one to the next. The 5th rabbit is starting to bleed from her eye now, and she has an even more mysterious knot on her head. She is pregnant, there for safe in her pin alone, so the knot doesn't make sense, and the other rabbits didn't have this. I called all the vets within an hour of me, and none deal with any other than cats, dogs, and horses. Please help!

Very odd - Any chance of any type of chemical contamination in the immediate area?

OMG what a terrible thing..
I don't know what it could be
are you sure they were not exposed to any type of chemical?
sounds like hemmoraghic fever in humans ..I'll try to find find out what it could be.
so sorry for you :(

Have the rabbits had any access to food or poison that could cause hemorrhaging?

What area do you live in? VHD (viral hemorrhagic disease is endemic in some countries).

Heat prostration can also cause bleeding in the nasal passages. Have the rabbits been exposed to extreme heat?

Have food sources checked if other causes are ruled out.

Pam

I think that you should take all rabbits that exhibit no symptoms and move them to another area. Disinfecting anything remotely associated with the sick rabbits.

When you move between the ill and well rabbits you must practice strict isolation techniques( handwashing ,changing clothing and shoes)

should also alert a vet as this may need to be reported to the health dept if it actually is RHD

I agree that this sounds an awful like VHD. Are you in Europe or Australia? It's extremely rare in the US and if that's where you are the USDA (I think) should be contacted to help prevent it from spreading to other rabbitries.

There is no cure, although there is a vaccination available in many of the afflicted countries. For now, strict quarantine procedures. Clean with 10% concentrated bleach (some household types), rinse, and clean again with hydrogen peroxide.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2045

:hug:

I wish you and your rabbits the best. I hope you can save them.

Latest posts

Back