Myia's Bunny Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for answering all of my questions, Myia! You sure do know a lot :p.

They seem interesting as pets, but I don't think they are for me. I really like a lazy pet...maybe because I am not a super active person. I had female rats and I wasn't too fond of their personalities because they are too active, where as males are super squishy and lazy :).

I will have to come to your house one day and see the Chins. I'd love to pet them (I have once when I was a little girl)!

Oh...some guy on my CL is trying to rehome a HUGE Beardie male. He doesnt get along with other Beardies. The guy needed to rehome him by the end of this weekend because he is moving. He only wants $100 and he comes with a 6ft custom cage and a ton of supplies. I thougth about it for a few hours....but I don't know anything about them (just think they are awesome) and don't know if I'd be scared to handle him, lol.
http://prescott.craigslist.org/pet/1607878845.html

He doesn't look that big. That is a great price, esp for such a great cage, although he is on sand thats bad.
Don't be..they rarley bite. Its like saying a rabbit will bite. They are so tame.
If he is a male, NO DUH he doesn't get a long with other beardies. Usually pairs have to be introduced early, but with males its hard. Even male/female pairs males will bully females to the point of starvation or death.
If you get him, I could help you out, they are super easy to care for.

Myia09 wrote:
He doesn't look that big. That is a great price, esp for such a great cage, although he is on sand thats bad.
Don't be..they rarley bite. Its like saying a rabbit will bite. They are so tame.
If he is a male, NO DUH he doesn't get a long with other beardies. Usually pairs have to be introduced early, but with males its hard. Even male/female pairs males will bully females to the point of starvation or death.
If you get him, I could help you out, they are super easy to care for.

He posted pictures in another ad and I think the Beardie looked huge. I can't take him because I don't have $100 to spare and I don't want to rush into caring for something of a species that I have never cared for before, LOL! Plus, we are moving to the east coast in *hopefully* 3 years and I don't know how well a reptile will make the trip. Pluuuus....I'm getting a male mouse from a registered breeder when we go to San Deigo AND I don't think I have space for a 6ft cage.

Ehhhh....too many "Don't do its" stacked against me :p.

Hi Myia. I have been following your blog and not posting. So now I'm posting! I enjoy seeing and hearing about all your animals. And I have been learning about Chins from you as well! Thanks for the education!

Congratulations on Sheriff's growth and good luck at the first show!

Yup, I was going to give him 3 months to see if his ears would be show quality. Since they are, I am going to go to at least 4 shows. If he places good, I will continue for a year or so, until we stop placing, lol. Then he will be neutered.

Yeah Amy, thats too many negatives :/

Never2ManyBunnies wrote:
Hi Myia. I have been following your blog and not posting. So now I'm posting! I enjoy seeing and hearing about all your animals. And I have been learning about Chins from you as well! Thanks for the education!

Congratulations on Sheriff's growth and good luck at the first show!
Thank you! :) That means a lot!

LOL...Myia and I talk too much about both of our lives in each others blogs....we should just have a joint blog :laughsmiley:

I read your blog sometimes too so I thought I'd say hi :D Sheriff is a handsome bun and I hope he does well at the shows.

Chins are so cute but too crazy for me. One of my college friends had/has one (named Stitch from Lilo and Stitch) and he would run around and jump everywhere like a spaz.

Aaaaah! The EARS! Too cute :)

Thanks everyone :)
Its nice to know people do read!

Yeah, Chinchillas aren't for everyone. But personally I love 'em :)

We still haven't finished Chewies cage, lol. She is living in it, but there isn't a second story shelf or the roof (She can't jump out since its 2 stories)

Well, James and I went to bed pretty late for god knows why, and we both had to be up early (7 am!) and so we hit the bed pretty hard.

Well (Sorry Amy) I am paraoid about wild rats being in my house LOL. I once lived in a place that did have a rat infestion (Not mice, rats) and it scarred the crap out of me, hearing them rustle in the middle of the night.

So last night, I hear these wierd noises. I am about 99% good at decoding all sounds as either the chinchillas or another one of my animals. I just know. I even can tell which chinchilla is jumping. But this I couldn't figure out.

But I go back to bed figuring it was nothing, then I hear some bigger noises. I can't figure it out. Rats? Giant mutant cockaroaches? Really, I am dead serious. I am not neccisarily afraid, but paranoid. So I get my phone and shine the light where I heard the noise. Then I saw a shadow move!

But that is what broke it. I know that crazy hair anywhere, even if it is a black shadow. Chewy had pushed open her new cage and deicded to roam.

So I go, "Oh really Chew? Really?" and she just sits there, comes over and gives me a few kisses like she is making up for something and I shuffle her back into the cage. I can't find the lock, but its 4 am and I need to sleep so I just overlap it, and thankfully it worked.

What a silly bun.

So I am preparing Sheriff for the show in two weeks (Not this weekend, the next)

I gave him even more greens yesterday, and of course he devored them. I can't find my nail clippers, so it looks like I have to buy another pair. I also need to buy a brush.
I am seriously debating giving him a small bath. Why? Myia was a retard and put the Invermicitn (Sp?) on his fur, not in his mouth. I am retarted, I know. So it left it kind of greasy. He cleaned most of it off, but I can still feel it.

I had to give Chewy a bath one time because her poo stuck to her fur real bad, I think it was stress because it is right when Pinball passed away (I miss you little guy!) but it went well.

I am sooo excited for the show. I am REALLY afraid that he won't win because his lack of fur on his ears..but I was told my pamnock that isn't DQ because the standard doesn't call for well furred ears.

I think he has great ears, although maybe small, but his body is great.

I am glad James is taking us, I was really afraid he wouldn't because of the drive (Its a 2 hour drive to Tucson) AND he has been to Tucson 2 this week! Once for a concert last Tuesday, and Today for his Nephews birthday!

I am having problems with the AZ chinchilla breeder here. She is really offish with me, just because I didn't adopt a beige chinchilla from here when I was looking at one. He was a rescue, but wouldn't do well with other chinchillas, so I said no after a lot of deliberation. The only work she did was take photos. She didn't drive him to me or anyting. And at that time, I had NO room for a second cage, and I really wanted a bonded trio. So that makes me a bad pet parent? Ugh. Whatever.

She got the Humane Society called on her anyways because someone reported her for lack of care. I need to check to see if it was resolved or not. She has over 200 chinchillas, breeders and rescue. That is a bit too much.

I am really debating getting Chew a partner when she is spayed. I had Amy I think ask (Maybe someone else) why I don't bond Sheriff and Chew.
Well A. Sheriff won't be nueterd for a long time (Year plus)
B. I know most people say it doesn't matter, but I don't feel comfortable with a 10-12 pound rabbit with a 2 pound rabbit. He already at 4 lbs was smooshing her and being rough unitnetionally.

We will see..we will see.

Thats what I am thinking Paul, but I am worried about how large Mini Rex's are too. Like right now, I don't have a room for anything more than another 2lb dwarf. So a 6lb Mini Rex would be out of the question until I move. I just need to wait and see.

Sometimes a smaller breed of rabbit actually needs more space then a larger breed because they are more active. A Mini Rex rounds off at around 4lbs, I think. A Lionhead and a Mini Rex would be a good pair size wise, but honestly...it makes no difference in bonding. I wouldn't think twice about bonding a 10 pounder with my 3lbs Lionhead if they did well on a bunny date.

Yes, they are more active so they get more playtime, is usually all it means.
But I have to disagree. Sheriff was constantly tumbling over Chewy, ect ect. When he is a full 10 lbs, I would hate to see what would happen, because I do feel it would be dangerous. Hmm I don't know :/

But you have to remember that neither Sheriff or Chew are spayed/neutered and that Sheriff is a baby :p. Once they are older & speutered then things may change.

When you gave Chewy a bath did her wool all shrink up and look funny? Haha I had to give Barnaby a bath once, and his wool looked like a sweater that was left in the drier too long. It went back to normal after he was all dry and brushed though.

Barnaby is about 2lbs right now too. Ziggy is 4lbs and Berry is almost 5. I don't think that much of a size difference is any problem, at least I've never had any problems due to their sizes. With all Barnaby's crazy hair, he doesn't even look that much smaller.

Whoa page 12 already! Your blog is popular.

Haha, kinda of. She just looked like a rat. I kept her in a towel though because I was afraid she would be too cold and get sick.

Well, 4-5lbs isn't an issue.
Were talking about a 2lb rabbit with a 12lb rabbit, as his family lines were very large. His mother was 12 and her father was 11. I simply don't want to do it becasue I feel the size difference is too great. It is not like they are already bonded or anything, and I don't want to risk Chewy getting hurt by Sheriff. End of story really :p

Plus I don't even know if Chewy wants another partner after Pinball. She hasn't liked a rabbit since, and I don't think it has anything to do with her not being spayed.

Sheriff IDK if I will ever get a partner for. He is too "Dog" like and person social :)

Latest posts

Back