My Shelter is needing more cages!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say that some of what Pipp said is right. You have on your adoption form "What are you going to use this rabbit for?" With "Breeding" as a choice.

That shouldn't be on there if you're rehoming the rabbits ;) That just means they go to their new home and breed and then, like Pipp said, their offspring might end up with the same fate; and there's already soo many rabbits in shelters.

I also don't think that "petting zoo" or "class pet" should be choices on there either. Too me, those two things are worse than what they probably originally came to the shelter for.

I know you're just trying to do the right thing by finding these rabbits new homes, but do it a little more responsibly. They should be going to pet homes, not breeding homes, or being classroom pets (which I find as neglect ;))

And at 13, you seem to have a lot on your hands. Maybe let the bigger rescues who can actually spay/neuter their rabbits and find them homes where they'll be just pets work on rehoming. I'm not saying you don't provide them with the best care, but you should care more about where they go, not to be used as breeding animals/class pets or put in a petting zoo. They should also be spayed/neutered. And I think the adoption price should be a little more than a measly $10. $10 is nothing and anyone could get their hands on the rabbit and who knows what they might be actually using it for? I say that a $15 to $20 adoption fee is the best.

Emily

A rabbit can't be happy if they are part of a petting zoo or are a class pet?

Let me tell you- I have multiple rabbits who thrive on TONS of attention from anyone who will give it to them. I can hardly agree that it would be neglect for them to be in that situation! I've taken them to events with large groups of kids before, educational type stuff, and the rabbits LOVE it. When the kids got bored and ran off to another activity, the rabbits ran after them!

Rabbits can be very happy and loved in almost any situation, they just need to have their personalities matched to their new "job".

Thanks Hawkertinger.

I have the "Breeding", "Showing" etc awnswers on there because if I don't put them on there, I will have people tell me that the rabbit is going to be a pet and end up using them for meat or something. With this, if they put that down I can inform them that I will not adopt a rabbit out for that purpose. If they want a show rabbit I direct them to my other website to see my show rabbits that I have for sale.
Also, I know severel rabbits that are in petting zoos and are class pets, they are just as happy as any others I've seen. I ask the teachers/caregivers how supervized the rabbits will be when put out for others to pet/play with them. I will not adopt them out if they have no supervision when being handled. I believe that in the wrong petting zoo or school they may not be happy. But if the rabbits are socialized enough and like attention they can thrive in that kind of enviornment.

Also, if I didn't take them in, all these rabbits would be sold for meat, turned loose, left to starve to death in their own hutches/cages or worse. There are no types of shelters like that where I live, also I would never adopt out as many as I get if Iwas to raise the adoption fee higher than that. Since I do not put any rabbits down there would be many that would never get homes.

Karlie

I think the point was that many 'classroom pets' are rehomed yet again at the end of the year, aren't let out of their cages often, and alot are scared after experiences where children have tapped on their cages and been too loud and rambunctious.
It all depends on the school and if the teacher is willing to keep the pet after it's usefullness has wore off. We had rats in my science class in high school and they were adopted out to students every year at the end of the year. I am not sure now what happened to many of them.

Karlie wrote:
Pipp, All of my rabbits get multiple hours outside of their cages in a 24x20ft play-pen, please don't put negative comments on my posts.
And I belive it is better that they are turned into me and re-homed than turned loose or abandoned. I do the best I can do make sure all my rabbits get good homes.

Hey Karlie, glad to hear it, but it isn't it tough to juggle out time for all those rabbits? You can't put intact males together, and obviously not intact males and females. Can intact does all get along in a pen? Not sure how many you have, but run time for 20 individual rabbits would keep anybody hopping.

And my post isn't negative, it's not a commentary on your shelter (and it is good that you're calling it a shelter, it makes me think I should write up some forum definitions for 'rescue', 'shelter' and 'sanctuary'), you're doing a good thing. I'm specifically referring to the rules on THIS FORUM for advertising for donations. Because anybody can come on here and say they're looking for funds (or whatever) to support a rescue, get vet care for an emergency, etc, and not be legitimate, we protect our members by requiring that all such posts get Admin approval and meet a certain criteria. Since you added a post saying you're willing to pay a nominal amount and because you're not looking to be one of our officially supported rescues, the post was allowed to stay.

The rest of my post was just saying what we think an ideal situation is -- a free-run sanctuary. This is best done in a rural situation where there's access to lots of hay, grass, space and 'outbuildings' for protection, and that's most often available via breeders, so I like mentioning it in these situations.

The hard part is the spaying and especially neutering, but its possible to find vets willing to do so for reduced rates if its a 'formal' rescue. Then there can be official fundraising to cover the costs.

OakRidgeRabbits
Altering and home checks are not the definition of a legitimate rescue.

As noted, we're simply talking the forum's criteria, and thanks, but we know our definition. ;)

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
And rabbits do not need free run rooms or sanctuaries to be happy or to be considered "better off".

Better off means just that. A step up, or at least a step sideways. We think the rabbit's previous life should be a major consideration when placing rabbits in new situations. And the rabbit should be monitored -- contracts should be drawn up and contact maintained at least until their care and continuing interest in the rabbit is well established. This is particularly important when the rabbit isn't altered and the rehoming fee is nominal. The recipient may not place much value on the rabbit and end up 'setting them free' (to continue the cycle via more unwanted litters) or neglecting them in a myriad of different ways. It's also more important with first-time rabbit people.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
A rabbit doesn't need to be altered to be happy, nor do they need a house larger than mine. Rabbits are perfectly happy just to have an owner who loves them, and a second chance at that is more than most people would be willing to give them.;)

I think I can safely say no rabbit is happy being altered. ;) While altering will greatly extend the life of a female, the main reasons I encourage altering in this case are those listed above. I've seen far too many rabbits who appear to have been placed in ideal situations become the victims of changed circumstances. Its nobody's fault, but life -- marital status, offspring, finances, housing, etc -- does not remain stagnant for the 10 years or so of a rabbit's lifespan. The best way to ensure breaking the cycle of unwanted rabbits via irresponsible breedings, abandonment, etc, is to spay and neuter.

As for the big house reference, I heartily agree. I always liken some of the more ardent rescuers as trying to make sure every poverty stricken African orphan is adopted by no less than Madonna. (I'll also point out that the orphans not adopted my Madonna have no sense of deprivation since they have no sense of what they're missing - and may not even like the lifestyle, but that's another story).

On the other hand, placement going the other direction is problematic -- from Modonna to the orphanage is devastating. Thus my previous 'step up' reference.

Back on topic, though, Karlie, you're doing a good thing. Good on ya! :thumbup

sas :bunnydance:

Happi Bun wrote:
Karlie wrote:
There are no types of shelters like that where I live.
Actually, your state has a House Rabbit Society chapter.

http://www.indianahrs.org

That is in Indianapolis, I meant locally, not many around me would be willing to drive up there to put their rabit in a rescue org. Most that give me rabbits to re-home usually require that I come get them, or they get set loose. I live around 4hours from Indy.

Pipp, I do house intact bucks together. All of my pet buck rabbits live in a big dog crate with diffrent levels. They are completly happy with the arrangement. No, not all of the bucks can be mixed but many I have can, the others just get put out for a few hours and when I go back outside put back up. As my runs are indoors it is very easy to let them have excersise time. Almost all my does are mixed as well.

I also do keep in contact with people who adopt rabbits from me, they all get calls every 3months the first year, and every 6months the following yearsto see how their rabbit(s) are doing and I often get alot of rabbits back once a month to get their nails clipped, I am positive most of my rabbits get very good homes.

Thanks though,

Karlie

Petey_bunny, thanks, this is sort of off topic but if you have a 4-H near you you could donate the cages to them if you wanted.

Thanks,
Karlie

Back