My Shelter is needing more cages!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karlie

Reaction score
I am needing more cages (wire bottom please) for the shelter, since I also raise show rabbits I am building a small barn for the shelter rabbits and I am needing more housing for them.

If you have a rabbit in need of a home (or know someone else who does) I will take them if their housing is included! This will give another rabbit a chance to be placed in my shelter and the rabbit coming to me with the cage a chance to have a forever home!

-Karlie

Karlie wrote:
I am needing more cages (wire bottom please) for the shelter, since I also raise show rabbits I am building a small barn for the shelter rabbits and I am needing more housing for them.

If you have a rabbit in need of a home (or know someone else who does) I will take them if their housing is included! This will give another rabbit a chance to be placed in my shelter and the rabbit coming to me with the cage a chance to have a forever home!

-Karlie
The first post isn't complete, I am looking for a cheap place to get cages, not just free ones.

Thanks,

Karlie

you should try craigslist, put a post that the rescue is looking for any cages that someone might be getting rid of. Sometimes people list on there if anyone knows of a rescue that could use stuff. Just a thought, there are alot of people that are out there that have these things and just want to get rid of them

Fpr tje recprd. Karlie is a breeder who takes in unwanted rabbits and rehomes themfor a small fee, but she's not running a rescue -- the bunnies are not spayed./neutered, no home checks are conducted, etc -- thus there will be limitations on what she can ask for or expect on a charitable or donated bases.

If they were altered, I'd suggest doing what a lot of shelters do, which is establish a large cage-free free-run area. Much more fun for the rabbits. But obviously not an option for intact rabbits.

While we really appreciate breeders giving space to unwanted rabbits, the bottom line for 'rescuing' rabbits is to offer them something better than they had. For a rabbit in a city shelter in danger of euthanization, abused rabbits, meat rabbits in small cages, etc, being rescued from suffering or death is obviously a good thing.

But if someone had a house rabbit they no longer wanted and surrendered it to a shelter that could only provide a small cage and little 'out' time, the rabbit is not better off.

Free run rooms or pens or even sanctuaries are the best option. (And of course finding them great homes, as good or better than what they had).

But the point of the whole exercise is lost if they're allowed to breed even more rabbits most likely to meet similar fates.

sas :expressionless:

Hi, thanks Luvmyzoocrew, I will try putting an add on there.

Pipp, All of my rabbits get multiple hours outside of their cages in a 24x20ft play-pen, please don't put negative comments on my posts.
And I belive it is better that they are turned into me and re-homed than turned loose or abandoned. I do the best I can do make sure all my rabbits get good homes.

Karlie

It is sort of misleading to say that your shelter needs more cages when you don't run or have a shelter though. Just my opinion.
It is good of you to rehome rabbits whom need help though.

Thats just what I would call it, a shelter, as I put a lot of efort into making sure every rabbit I can help gets a good home. I do think rescue would be inapropriate as I do not rescue rabbits, but shelters are just where animals (Rabits in this case) are taken care of and re-homed, in my opinioun.

Karlie

Hey Karlie, do you have a local humane society or anything like that? Maybe you could take in rabbits and give them to them, so they could be spayed and neuteured or maybe see if you could work with them and they could pay or partly pay for the rabbits spays/neuteurs :)

I already contacted them and they said that they do not take in rabbits and couldn't do anything but direct people with rabbits over to me. Its a really small rescue/shelter place.

Thanks for the idea though,
Karlie

Pipp wrote:
Fpr tje recprd. Karlie is a breeder who takes in unwanted rabbits and rehomes themfor a small fee, but she's not running a rescue -- the bunnies are not spayed./neutered, no home checks are conducted, etc -- thus there will be limitations on what she can ask for or expect on a charitable or donated bases.

If they were altered, I'd suggest doing what a lot of shelters do, which is establish a large cage-free free-run area. Much more fun for the rabbits. But obviously not an option for intact rabbits.

While we really appreciate breeders giving space to unwanted rabbits, the bottom line for 'rescuing' rabbits is to offer them something better than they had. For a rabbit in a city shelter in danger of euthanization, abused rabbits, meat rabbits in small cages, etc, being rescued from suffering or death is obviously a good thing.

But if someone had a house rabbit they no longer wanted and surrendered it to a shelter that could only provide a small cage and little 'out' time, the rabbit is not better off.

Free run rooms or pens or even sanctuaries are the best option. (And of course finding them great homes, as good or better than what they had).

But the point of the whole exercise is lost if they're allowed to breed even more rabbits most likely to meet similar fates.

sas :expressionless:

:expressionlessI'm sorry, but I find this very offensive as a breeder and also very rude towards Karlie.

Altering and home checks are not the definition of a legitimate rescue. And rabbits do not need free run rooms or sanctuaries to be happy or to be considered "better off".

Through helping to rehome rabbits, Karlie IS providing a much better situation than the rabbit would havehad elsewhere. Rabbits that are surrendered to her are likely not recieving the love and care that they deserve. When they get to her, she provides them with a second chance, regular feedings, a new loving family, etc. A lot of breeders would never do what she does because of the crap they get from people who think this same way towards them. She is putting time and money into extra rabbits that will not help with her breeding program or serve any "purpose" towards her. She is putting everything extra into this endeavor and not benefitting from it at all. I believe she has every right to ask for extra help in continuing to rescue and rehome unwanted rabbits.

A rabbit doesn't need to be altered to be happy, nor do they need a house larger than mine. Rabbits are perfectly happy just to have an owner who loves them, and a second chance at that is more than most people would be willing to give them.;)

I say WAY TO GO KARLIE for not only working towards improving the reputation of reputable breeders, but also for helping out bunnies in need. You're doing great things for rabbits on every end.:)

Thanks OakRidgeRabbits!

That is truly one of the best things anybody has said to me over this forum about what I do for the rabbits. :]

Thanks A million,
Karlie

Thanks, do you have one? I will look at it, I'm kind of bored so I'd love to :]

Karlie

Latest posts

Back