my rabbit's breed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
christy wrote:
I've seen the table on the link. What puzzled me is,Singapore imports the lowest amount of rabbit meat (20tonnes)among all the coutries in the table and you're sayingSingapore is a major importer. if that is the case, how about thosecountries which import more tonnes of rabbit meat than Singapore?

Christy
I think what Pam is trying to say is that Singapore isone of the top meat producers (among those on thetable).
"Conclusions from the study were not very encouraging. Certainlylarge markets existed for imported rabbit meat - the eight countriesimported about 47.5 million rabbits in 1988 - See Table 1."

christy wrote:

I've seen the table on the link. What puzzled me is, Singapore importsthe lowest amount of rabbit meat (20 tonnes)among all thecoutries in the table and you're saying Singapore is a major importer.if that is the case, how about those countries which import more tonnesof rabbit meat than Singapore?

Christy

No need to be puzzled :) The chart only shows major importersof rabbit meat, including Singapore, which is on the low end of themajor importers. The list does not include countries thatimport very little rabbit meat.

Pam

I've seen the table on the link. Whatpuzzled me is, Singapore imports the lowest amount of rabbit meat (20tonnes)among all the coutries in the table and you're sayingSingapore is a major importer. if that is the case, how about thosecountries which import more tonnes of rabbit meat than Singapore?
Pam, I didnt know those statistics, thanks for the link.

Christy, I think Singapore is considered a major importer of rabbitmeat because out of the 193 countries in the world.. it's the 9thhigest importer... that means there are 184 countries that import lessthan Singapore making them one of the top importers?

I think everyone needs to take a breath for amoment and calm down. That being said Riyon, and Christy youmust realize for this bunny to have those markings that somewhere alongthe way the Dutch gene had to be introduced somehow.Eventhough it is called a "local breed", and it has different coloredparents, and the litter came in all different colors, that most likelyboth parents carried the dutch marking gene for this rabbit with dutchmarkings to be produced.

Ok, I have an opinion on this topic. My personal opinion keep in mind.;)

I think a Local Dutch is a rabbit that has the markings of a Dutchwhether or not it has Dutch ancestors.A Local Dutch is arabbit that wouldprobably be classified as a mix but ithappens to look like a Dutch so it is called a Local Dutch. Basically aLocal Dutch would be a "mutt" rabbit that looks like a Dutch.

I hope thatsome of you understand what I'm trying to say.

Butwhatever the breed may beyou have a gorgeous bunny there!

Lissa

I think that is a great way of putting it. In away, this rabbit would be called a dutch by some animal shelters hereas it is indeed dutch marked. As people only had a photo to look at andwere unable to see its size, body shape etc, it was inevitable thatpeople thought it was a dutch.Honestly saying, I would also say it is adutch based on the photos alone! Only the fact that I live in Singaporeand am a Singaporean that I know it is what people call a'local'This `breed' of rabbits has been around since forever andit would be impossible to ever try to trace it. IMO, the firstrabbit imports were meat rabbits like the New Zealand White but werelater crossed with other breeds such as the Dutch when they startedbeing kept as pets too. This could have happened when Singapore wasunder colonial rule.About the rabbit imports to Singapore, as it is afigure from 1988, it may be that Singapore has ceased importing them asmeat. There would be no market for rabbit meat here, IMO. And thechanges in Singapore from 1988 till now are very drastic. While Iwouldn't really mind eating rabbit meat (Ok...I am not too sure aboutthat..), I am not sure what other Singaporeans would feel about that.So far, no one has agreed to go with me to look for any restaurnatserving rabbit meat.Actually, Riyon could have tried posting thistopic in one of our local forums instead as this is a subject that hasbeen asked by many owners wanting to trace their rabbits line, with theever increasing number of people keeping rabbits as pets. However, noone would be able to answer this question correctly, as least no one Iknow can answer or has been able to answer this question. We can onlyanswer with answers we think are likely.I hope everyone feel thatthis thread is interesting. I certainly do!BTW, I know this is out ofpoint but the 'locals' are kept by many responsible people too. Noteveryone who keeps a `local` dump them. To put it that it `always gotabandon by evil pple', `whereby pple always abandon it when it growsup' is not very nice. I do know people who have kept the `locals' tillthey died at 8 years of age.

I would like to add one thing here.With USA being on the major importer list and knowing that we alsoraise a lot of meat rabbits, I have never seen rabbit meat in stores orrestaurants. I have heard of it in a few, but you just don'tsee it that much. It tends to be in specialty markets orsmall breeders sell live rabbits direct to the consumer, where they arebutchered at home. This is probably why you have never seenrabbit meat in Singapore. It's not that it isn't there, it'sjust that it is more of a specialty meat and you need to be in theright place to see it.

Good Lord - the bun is CUTE!! No matter what breed he is!
And Riyon - is that a new bun in your avatar? He looks like a baby chowing down!

naturestee wrote:
It tends to be in specialty markets or small breeders selllive rabbits direct to the consumer.
I was only aware of this when I read in my local paper in the foodsection, that a high end and very expensiverestaurant served rabbit.However that was served for a limited time before the menu is changedto another product.

Rainbows! :)

I'll start looking in speciality shops. I'll bequite interested to find one. But that's a good point.For example,horse meat is available here but only in a few of the more exclusivejapanese restaurants.

sharlene wrote:
For example, horse meat is available here but only in a fewof the more exclusive japanese restaurants.
I've been to restaurants that hadBuffalo, Caribou, and organic beef on theirmenus based on the availability.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
sharlene wrote:
For example,horse meat is available here but only in a few of the more exclusivejapanese restaurants.
I've been to restaurants that hadBuffalo, Caribou, and organic beef on theirmenus based on the availability.

LOL! My inlaws raise buffalo, and when I used to live innorthern Minnesota there where buffalo farms everywhere, and somecaribou too. I can now sometimes find buffalo in grocerystores around here, but the best way to get it is from the person whoraised it.:)

I was horrified when I was at Loblaws (majorgrocery store chain up here) and saw rabbit in the meat department.Right next to the chicken and everything else! That was the first timeI had ever seen that and wasn't exactly happy that I had.

Granted, if I was starving in the woods, yeah, I'd eat anything I couldget my hands on, but I did not need to see that in the grocery store.

Stephanie wrote:
I was horrified when I was at Loblaws (major grocery storechain up here) and saw rabbit in the meat department. Right next to thechicken and everything else! That was the first time I had ever seenthat and wasn't exactly happy that I had.

Granted, if I was starving in the woods, yeah, I'd eat anything I couldget my hands on, but I did not need to see that in the grocery store.
I'm right there with you Steph, the worst for me is the Chinatown restaurants that have the carcases hanging in the window. YUCK.

haha.. yes. the avatar now is actually the sibling of my black white rabbit. same parent.

but the makings and colour are quite different though.

gosh.. how come this thread is talking about rabbit meat suddenly.:?

but sure its interesting.. kekex..

everyone pls cool down yah?

naturestee wrote:
I would like to add one thing here. With USA beingon the major importer list and knowing that we also raise a lot of meatrabbits, I have never seen rabbit meat in stores orrestaurants. I have heard of it in a few, but you just don'tsee it that much. It tends to be in specialty markets orsmall breeders sell live rabbits direct to the consumer, where they arebutchered at home. This is probably why you have never seenrabbit meat in Singapore. It's not that it isn't there, it'sjust that it is more of a specialty meat and you need to be in theright place to see it.
i agree with you. but better dun let me see anyone eats rabbit meatinfront of my face.. if not i will really :Xat them.

but i watched from tv that rabbit meat is actually good for our skin.

Actually, Riyon could have tried postingthis topic in one of our local forums instead as this is a subject thathas been asked by many owners wanting to trace their rabbits line, withthe ever increasing number of people keeping rabbits as pets. However,no one would be able to answer this question correctly, as least no oneI know can answer or has been able to answer this question. We can onlyanswer with answers we think are likely.I hope everyone feelthat this thread is interesting. I certainly do!BTW, I know this is outof point but the 'locals' are kept by many responsible people too. Noteveryone who keeps a `local` dump them. To put it that it `always gotabandon by evil pple', `whereby pple always abandon it when it growsup' is not very nice. I do know people who have kept the `locals' tillthey died at 8 years of age.
yes, some people asked before in our local forums, but i was wonderingwhat will other people in other countries esp in this big forum willanswer.

but heys, let this topic be over ya? =]

pictures are really deceiving i guess.;)

Riyon wrote:
naturestee wrote:
I wouldlike to add one thing here. With USA being on the majorimporter list and knowing that we also raise a lot of meat rabbits, Ihave never seen rabbit meat in stores or restaurants. I haveheard of it in a few, but you just don't see it that much. Ittends to be in specialty markets or small breeders sell live rabbitsdirect to the consumer, where they are butchered at home.This is probably why you have never seen rabbit meat inSingapore. It's not that it isn't there, it's just that it ismore of a specialty meat and you need to be in the right place to seeit.
i agree with you. but better dun let me see anyone eats rabbit meatinfront of my face.. if not i will really :Xat them.

but i watched from tv that rabbit meat is actually good for our skin.

I've read that rabbit meat has a lower cholestral level and is healthier than pork, beef or chicken.

christy wrote:
pamnock wrote:
Singapore is a major importer of rabbit meat.
Hello all,

Call me all the names you want. That will only shows how immature all of you are. :)

Christy

What is Your Problem?????

Okay, since we're going to call you different names, which identity areyou going to stick with today? Let's see, today are you goingto choose to be:

Christy

Bunrab

Wintermelon

Hollandlops

Sharlene

or Riyon

or will you just try to create another username.

We're done with you.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back