My rabbit isnt eating hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazerFace

Reaction score
My rabbit isnt eating hay... He is a 1 year old male who is not neutered yet, he hasnt eaten hay for a few days now and i am really worried! He is eating the same hay as always so i really dont understand, he is also eating and drinking normal.. Is there a way i can make it more appealing to him or should i just go straight to the vet? What do i do??

Have you changed the way you give the hay at all? Or maybe started a new bag, that might have gone mouldy and so isn’t palatable? How are his poos? Make sure he is still pooing as gut stasis is a medical emergency. You can try putting some forage with the hay like dried dandelion leaves to get him interested, and cut down the pellets and other food he is eating - if he has too much he won’t feel hungry to eat hay. What hay does he have?

When a rabbit suddenly stops eating something that he normally would eat, then something is wrong -- either with the food (new brand, different type, spoiled or moldy) or with the bunny.

If it is all from the same batch of hay, then it is more likely to be something to do with the rabbit. Dental issues are one thing that could prevent a rabbit from eating hay. I'd suggest a vet visit with a rabbit savvy vet (not just one that occasionally sees rabbits).

Have you changed the way you give the hay at all? Or maybe started a new bag, that might have gone mouldy and so isn’t palatable? How are his poos? Make sure he is still pooing as gut stasis is a medical emergency. You can try putting some forage with the hay like dried dandelion leaves to get him interested, and cut down the pellets and other food he is eating - if he has too much he won’t feel hungry to eat hay. What hay does he have?
he is eating very green normal norwegian hay (from local farm) and i did change the way he gets the hay but he has been fed this way before, instead of just giving him a pile of hay in his cage i bought one of those things you hang on the outside (he destroyed the last one he had) other than that his poos are normal but i did start giving him a little bit of veggies just so he can get used to them so maby he isnt hungry for hay? I will open a new bag and see if he eats that! Thank you for the advice

If he stopped eating once you changed to a rack that Is probably the reason he stopped eating it. My rabbit won’t eat from a rack so she has hers in a basket she can eat out of, it is more natural for them to eat with their head down like they would grass in the wild. Also yes if you introduce too many veggies he will eat those instead of hay, make sure he isn’t getting too much.
Good luck and keep us updated!

I've had a rabbit that wouldn't eat dry hay. She'd build a nest with it, she'd eat fresh green grass and pellets, but was a total snob about hay. lol.

Latest posts

Back