my rabbit is trying to bite me, but she has never done that

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbigail10398

Reaction score
hi everyone. I have a rabbit and she is about to be a year old. I have been having to hold her so that I can take her to the play pen and but she hates to be held so she runs away from me everytime I try and pick her up. and know if I put my hand in there she is coming at me like she is trying to bite me and if I try and hold her toy up for her she nocks it out of my hand. ive put her in a basket to carry her to her play pen but she still don't like it. so is this why she is trying to bite me and if so what should I do. thanks

Well, most rabbits don't like being picked up, so yes, she might try to persuade you to not do it. They can be pigheads, and get grumpy if something is going on against their will.
Is their any way to connect her cage to the playpen, like a cardboard tube or tunnel?

I train them to get used to being picked up, when they let me pet them for some time I sit on the floor and just put them on my lap, give a treat and let them hop away (or let them hop away and give the treat then). When they don't struggle much with that anymore I pick them up, hold and pet them for a second, slowly increasing the time, and let them hop off me, immediatly followed by a treat. Treats, repitition, treats, patience and treats :D work.
Treats can be quite small pieces of favorite fruit, herbs, vegetables, small amount of pellets etc. Also stuff sold as treats, as long it's not too much. Keep in mind that new stuff needs to be introduced slowly, starting with fingernail sized pieces.

A thick sweater helps a lot when the rabbit starts biting while holding it - ignore that, if the rabbit learns that biting gets him what he wants it can get difficult. Also, do what you do with confidence. Rabbit doesn't like it? Proceed anyway, if you shy away when she starts a mock attack on you she learns the wrong thing, don't apologize to the rabbit but don't forget a treat afterwards.

At least that's how I do it, there is so much more on the topic, but I follow my intuition and keep it simple.

I agree. The easiest thing to do would be to have her exercise and cage area be together. So either have the cage where the pen is set up or set the pen up around her cage.

It is best for a rabbit exercising to always have easy access back to her cage. The cage is a rabbit's safe haven, so being able to retreat to it at as desired is a big comfort to them. Otherwise they are being forced out against their will and forced in against their will. This isn't conducive to building a good relationship.

Working with a rabbit to tolerate handling for the occasional nail-clipping or vet visit is one thing. Forcing them to go here and there on a daily basis at your whim (as rabbit sees it) is something different and won't win any warm fuzzy feeling from your rabbit.

Is your bunny spayed? If not, is she diving to attack your hand mostly when she's in her cage? Cage aggression (ie territorial behavior) is extremely common in unspayed females. Here's a good site on the many reasons for spaying your bunny (if she isn't already).

Is your bunny spayed? If not, is she diving to attack your hand mostly when she's in her cage? Cage aggression (ie territorial behavior) is extremely common in unspayed females. Here's a good site on the many reasons for spaying your bunny (if she isn't already).
That is exactly what she is doing even when I'm just for to fill her food bowl and she's not spayed either. Thanks ever one I really appreciate everything

Back