My rabbit doesn't let me pet it outside of the cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

random faerie

Reaction score
my rabbit doesn't let me pet it outside of the cage. It's perfectly fine with him though, if it's in the cage. He would stretch his legs our and seem to totally enjoy it...

So why doesn't it let me pet it outside the cage? :(

I'm not sure why, but my boy is something the same way. It's actually kind of funny, during play time he'll come up to me and everything, and the minute I start petting him, he wriggles away as if to say "Noooo it's play time, pets later!" If he's just lounging about on the floor during play time, he's perfectly fine with pets. Does your rabbit seem genuinely upset at being petted outside his cage?

I'm not sure why, but my boy is something the same way. It's actually kind of funny, during play time he'll come up to me and everything, and the minute I start petting him, he wriggles away as if to say "Noooo it's play time, pets later!" If he's just lounging about on the floor during play time, he's perfectly fine with pets. Does your rabbit seem genuinely upset at being petted outside his cage?

He doesn't seem to be upset, not growling or anything, but like yours, he just runs away. ; 3 ; And it's also the same, when he is lounging, pets would be ok for a short time before he starts wanting to run away again. >_<

How much playtime does he get outside his cage? This may be a factor. If his time is limited, then yeah, he's going to want to spend his time exploring. If he's out for a long period, then he'll have times when he'll just sit and relax outside the cage. That is often the time when a bunny will be receptive to petting. Of course that also means that he is first getting used to you sitting out in the open while he is running around.

Mine are out of their cage all day. Nevertheless, they still have certain times of the day when they want to be pet and when they don't. They will sit and stretch out in different areas depending on their receptiveness (or lack) for attention.

I think this must be fairly common bunny behavior. My rabbit does not even live in a cage - he has a 40 sq ft shed with constant access to an 80 sq ft enclosure. During nice weather I open a little door that leads from his enclosure to a 1/3 acre fenced in yard, so he can "free range".

When he is confined to his shed/enclosure, he is very easy to pick up; never resists at all. But when he is free ranging in the yard, he virtually never allows me to touch or pick up. That is the case even if he has been out in the yard for hours. My interpretation is that he really prefers not to be handled, but submits to it readily when confined in shed/enclosure because he knows he cannot avoid it. Out in the yard, on the other hand, he knows he can easily outrun me or tuck himself under a shrub where I can't reach him.

I had another rabbit who died a couple months ago, and she was exactly the same way: Easy to handle only if she knew she couldn't avoid it, but almost never allowed it when she knew she could prevent it.

I think what rabbits want most of all, is the opportunity to be rabbits. Some might enjoy human contact more than others, but mine certainly value freedom and the chance to forage in a natural environment, more than they value human contact.

Last edited:
I do t think this is that strange. In their 'home's they are more relaxed and comfortable. They're not looking around nor exercising so its perfect time for a petting. But outside their confines, they want to explore, have fun and are a bit more wary for danger. At least that's how my rabbits seem.

Latest posts

Back