My rabbit CAN'T eat timothy hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad you've found a temporary fix. That will at least minimize the chances of choking now and keep your bun fed until you can get into the vet to get the suspected dental issue fixed.

Yes I was really worried that I would have to stop feeding her hay altogether and the apointment being kinda long ways was also a big worry I just hope the hay I blended is small enough to prevent any more episodes should her teeth grow more before I get her to the apointment but I'll update you guys once she goes to her apointment

I have something similar with one of my bunnies

It's a dental issue

We got our bunny from an animal shelter

He was eating fine then started to go off his food, very unusual for this rabbit

He could still eat some pellets (hard oxbow, as it was the only thing he would eventually eat) but refrained more and more from other foods

Our rabbit savvy vet looked in his mouth and discovered he was missing a tooth towards the back of his mouth (very hard to see without instruments) which meant the opposing tooth was growing longer and eventually was so long it impacted his ability to handle foods that those teeth normally dealt with

They snipped the elongated tooth and as soon as we got him home and put food out he was back into eating it (a little cautious at first due to habit of not touching it but within 10 mins the old habit was all forgotten)

We were told we would need to do this very 6 - 10 weeks. We forgot about it and 6+ months later he started refraining from food again, thankfully one of the kids remembered the previous tooth issue, so off to the vet again, snip went the elongated tooth and he was back gutsing his food again (this bunny loves his food)

Hope this is the same issue with your bun as it's an easy fit, assuming your vet can both see what's going on in their mouth and is able to fix it

I just wanted to say that a vet should NEVER clip/“snip” overgrown teeth, unless it is just to clip a particularly large molar spur. Instead long teeth should always be burred down or filed. Clipping is painful and also it is very likely to cause the tooth the fracture. Just saying this so that @Josh knows to listen out for this with your own vet, and ensure it is fixed correctly :)

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that a vet should NEVER clip/“snip” overgrown teeth, unless it is just to clip a particularly large molar spur. Instead long teeth should always be burred down or filed. Clipping is painful and also it is very likely to cause the tooth the fracture. Just saying this so that @Josh knows to listen out for this with your own vet, and ensure it is fixed correctly :)

Noted I knew that clipping the wrong way to go and that old vets tend to do that more often than new ones

Its with a heavy heart that I tell you guys today that sacchiin has passed on
I woke to find her not wanting to eat took her to the vet where I was told she was too dehydrated to run tests so they sent me home with an iv to rehydrate her but her condition worsened by the minute and she did not last much longer after getting home

She was a great bunny she learned tricks and would groom me from time to time she liked food and would look for treats in my hands even when I had givin all I wanted to give her

Ill miss her greatly

Attachments

• 20180615_104527.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
Thanks guys this death in my small family left us in shambles for a few days and im still having a hard time getting used to her not being around we have a long road ahead of us to recover and also make sure our male tux doesnt fall deep into depression

Latest posts

Back