My mini rex rescue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memesbunnies

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Have had my mini rex rescue bunny since last Sunday and have not had the heart to sex it yet - seems so violating when we are just getting to know each other! lol. Have been keeping him/her ( for the ease of typing and space issues I will refer to it as a him for now) and his cage in my tiny bathroom, seems to be a clean bunny in the cage so I put out two extra litter pans one in each open corner and opened the cage door and sat back and watched. Bunny hops out and looks around then hops off to check things out. A very friendly bunny who loves to be petted and I am told loves to be picked up and held. This poor bunny was found running around in the city, hopping in and out of the street amongst the cars, he ended up on a lawn and a boy offered him a carrot and came running over and allowed himself to be picked up. Ads were put up but no one claimed him, figure he was a "drop off" unwanted bunny. The boy developed allergies to the bunny so his mom advertised him for adoption and I have him now. Such a friendly non skittish thing and loves kids.

I let him out to roam in the bathroom and he hops back in his cage for security, something to eat, drink and to use the potty (pee anyway and most of the time, poo). When I close the door and go off to get some work done, leaving bunny time to play out of the cage, I come back to find him sleeping in his cage, stretched out flat, happy as can be. He seems content hanging out in his cage with the door open and the option to come and go as he pleases. If he is locked in he sometimes chews the bars wanting out but most of the time is happy to chill out.

As he has been doing well with this litter box thing and I do not know his past I will continue to let him out of his cage for longer times and pending any wet accidents will gradually extend the space to down the hall and beyond if all goes well. He does poo outside the cage but they are the odd shaped ones and he comes along and eats them, am I still supposed to throw those in the litter pan or let him eat them?Tonight he stopped playing and jumped in the litter pan and went poo in there.

This is so different having a bunny in the house! I have had outdoor bunnies for many years so what a step up this is.

Do those odd poopies look something like this... (the poop on the right)
Cecotropes.jpg

If so, those are called cecotropes. That type of poop is actually healthy for them and they should eat it. Rabbits know to eat it so I would just leave it for your bun to clean up ;)
It sounds good that he went in his litter box, it will take a little time but Im sure he will catch on soon!

Good luck to you and your new mini rex, let us know when you find out his sex :)

edit: fixed my post

Aww, Sounds like a precious bunny :hearts

We would love some pictures of him :)

I wish I could drive so I could meet you and your rescue bunny. I recommend you take him/her to the U of S to make she S/He is healthy. Everyone there knows me by now! Well except for the new Internes great place everyone is friendly! If u want I could possibly meet up with u if u don't want to go alone if I'm off.

Sweet. :inlove:

All my rabbits are actually like that. When you properly establish their cage or pen as a safety zone and it provides protection (like a roof or a hidey box) they will consider it their home. My rabbits will always stay close or return to their 'homes', even the ones allowed outside.

Mini-rexes are my favourites I think. They're so cheerful and curious (as long as you behave yourself that is). They're also very opinionated. I'm not sure they realize they're rabbits.

Congrats on your new addition!

sas :bunnydance:

My Ang was a happy girl too!

Pipp wrote:
Sweet. :inlove:

Mini-rexes are my favourites I think. They're so cheerful and curious (as long as you behave yourself that is). They're also very opinionated. I'm not sure they realize they're rabbits.

sas :bunnydance:
Aw Sas, I miss my Ang bad when u talk like that. Want another, hubby wants a Flemmie:biggrin:. Maybe it will be both. Haha. After I get a job of course.;) Mini rexes and rexes are gorgeous! The Rexes I saw at rabbit show were smaller than I thought they'd be.:confused2:

He sounds like such an adorable little bunny...and yah we need pictures :)

Pipp wrote:
Sweet.  :inlove

Mini-rexes are my favourites I think.  They're so cheerful and curious (as long as you behave yourself that is).  They're also very opinionated.  I'm not sure they realize they're rabbits.

Congrats on your new addition!

sas  :bunnydance:

definitely agree with this!! my rexes are full of bunnytude:D

Thank you everyone, will try to upload more pics in the morning, such a sweet bunny. Had not planned on taking him to the vet as he appears healthy in everyway and I am on a tight budget but thank you for mentioning the U of S, I don't know of any other vets that would look at bunnies.

Latest posts

Back