My male bunny is attracted to my other male bunny.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiRa92

Reaction score
I have two male bunnies. Monday and Poe. Monday is 1 year old and Poe is 8 months old. Before Poe is adopted, Monday didn't show any sign of sexual desire like soft honking or oinking. When we brought Poe home for the first few months thinking that Poe is a female (the pet shop owner was wrong), there were still now signs of Monday having a sexual interest for Poe. Then after a few months later, Monday started the oinking and sticking out his "you-know-what" when he saw Poe running and doing binkies in front of him. I know he likes Poe, so my mom and I let them stay in one cage during one night and Monday started to do the thing when bunnies are mating and we thought it was normal because we were still thinking that Poe is a female and Monday is a male. A few minutes later, we saw Poe (the one we thought was a female) is mounting Monday and doing mating stuff to him. We were shocked and went to look up in the internet on how to know if my rabbit is a male or female. So we did the procedure where you will have to press down lightly just above the anus to make the area protrude and identify the slit. Poe is a male. Why is this happening? Why does my male bunny is attracted to my other male bunny? Is this normal?

It sounds to me like It's probably dominance. I'd get them both neutered or keep them separate because non neutered males can fight to the death if provoked.

Lots of animals hump yo establish hierarchy. (Heck, my animals are all fixed and my parents female dog will hump strange dogs.)

Homosexuality is well documented and fairly common in the animal world as well, but chances are It's dominance in the case of your rabbits ;)

Perfectly normal. I would not keep 2 intact males in the same cage once they hit the age of 8-10 WEEKS. I have seen fighting amongst brothers at that age. If I were you I would separate them IMMEDIATELY!!!!

Thank you for the answers. I really appreciate it. We separated our bunnies since the day we knew that Poe is a male. Is it okay to just let my bunnies be non neutered males?

Nothin' wrong with a little same gender bunny lovin :love:

Seriously though, my dogs used to do this ALL the time to one another. And like someone said, to random dogs too.

Latest posts

Back