My litter training adventure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegooch69

Reaction score
Well I've decided to properly litter train Reeses. He's never gone to the bathroom anywhere outside of his cage(except for the occasional times when he'd jump on the couch and feel the need to mark). I usually just filled his cage with carefree bedding and he'd always go to the bathroom in his cage.

But the other day I found a werid bug crawling around in the bedding! So I'm going to properly litter train him. I put a good sized litter box filled with bedding on one side of the cage. I also placed a clump of hay in it so he chew on something when he poops. It's been two days now. He does sit in it at times, but he doesn't always go to the bathroom in it. He still likes to poo and pee everywhere else in the cage.

I've just been placing his poops in the litter box and soaking up the pee with a tissue and putting that in the box as well. I also clean the box at night so it doesn't get too dirty. Hopefully he'll catch on.

Is there anything else I can do to encourage him to use just the box? Am I doing anything wrong?

Wish me luck and hopefully it won't take long. :D

No, it's just going to take a little bit for him to get it. He's been used to going where ever in the cage. Just be patient, he'll get it. You're doing everything right. I would just suggest that you get actual litter to put in the box. It helps to soak up the pee and keep the odor under control. I use Yesterday's News, you can either use the cat kind or they actually make a rabbit kind. It's a paper pelleted litter. You can also use a wood pelleted litter than alot of members on here swear by. It's a horse stall pellet. It's supposed to be really, really good at controlling odor.:D

Oh, could you put your location in your profile? It helps us when we give you info such as this if we know where you are. Betterto help us suggest places you can get such things and the like. Just a country or continent will suffice;).

I'm using Carefree bedding for litter. It's what I've always used and it's really good at ordor control. And it's what Reeses always used so hopefully it'll help him understand to poop and pee only where there's the bedding.

When you had litter all over the cage - was he going ina particular corner or area? Or was he just peeing everywhere? Usually they pick one area to pee in...

Nadia

Latest posts

Back