My Four Beautiful Girls

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
I can't believe I have to report this...

We lost four of our girls this morning. Flower, Trixie, Cuddles, and SweetPea.

To make a long story short, Danny hasn't had work in quite a while, and things blew up financially. We've been living in a motel room, and the buns have had to stay in a good friend's backyard, which we thought was secure. We had built a fence around them, put a tent above them, and tarp around all four sides. They were more than sheltered from any weather (not to mention, we don't really get any weather other than slightly cloudy and sunny), and we thought they were also protected from predators.

We were wrong.

A pack of three or four large (bigger than a German Shepherd, we were told, as our friend and his parents were home at the time and were the ones to chase them away) somehow got into the backyard, and got to the bunnies.

From what we can tell from the scene, here's what happened:

We had the cages stacked, and the dogs had managed to rip open all four bottom cages that held Flower, Trixie, Cuddles, and SweetPea.

The four girls got out, and huddled together in one corner of the yard, but then SweetPea panicked and took off, so she was found in the middle of the yard. There wasn't much blood, and upon close inspection of them, it doesn't appear that anyone of them actually passed from injury or direct violence. There were slight injuries, but none appeared to be fatal. Instead, it appears that they all four had a heart attack and passed quite quickly.

To put it simply, I'm completely devastated. I haven't yet talked to Em to let her know her little bunny's gone (as she's still at school), and Danny's completely heartbroken that his girl is gone. I can't even put into words how I'm feeling. I've been busy taking down cages (as the other four were sitting on very unstable, very broken cages, so we had to immediately break down the bottom cages), and recovering the scene from all the broken and scattered items.

I've checked our other four babies. Maisie, Teddy, and Cinnamon are totally fine, but Fiver's missing a big chunk of fur, so we're going to take him in. Heck, now that I think of it, we're going to take all four in, just in case we missed anything. Needless to say, they're all four going to go back to the motel room with us and live in carriers with us there until we can find a place. I didn't want to have to do that...I wanted them to have their beautiful palaces, but it's just safer to have them with us, as we fully expect the dogs to come back (now that they know they're there). They'd knocked down Maisie's cage, and it was laying on its side, so I really also want to be sure they're all totally available for me to keep an eye on.

Please pray we don't lose anyone else...I just can't handle the thought. I keep telling them to hang in there and not give up. It sounds odd, but I'm so happy I didn't lose all of them.

I know that I cannot quite accurately describe how safe we'd made their environment, particularly because this happened...but all I can do is ask that you remember who I am, and how much I care about them...and the lengths I've gone to for my babies...so to thereby trust that they weren't just out there. Ivan's house is the corner house in the back of a cul-de-sac...a house that's surrounded on all sides, and out-of-the-way, and until now was completely and totally safe from such things. These dogs have not been seen in the neighborhood before, so it's a complete fluke that they somehow made their way over to Ivan's house and into his backyard. In fact, Ivan told me that of all the things, he never expected he would have to worry about something like that happening. There just aren't stray dogs around, so they don't know where they came from, but they acted like a wild pack. Ivan and his family is trying to figure out what to do to protect their home, as they have a couple indoor/outdoor kitties that they now have to figure out how to protect from these vicious dogs.

Please pray for my babies. Please pray for us. Please pray for me to have the right words to talk to Em about this...and to tell Denise that we lost her beautiful girl. I can't tell you how angry, and completely responsible, and devasted I feel. My girls didn't deserve to die that way...and I hope and pray that this is the end of our loss.

Thank you for your prayers and thoughts.

Edited to add a couple more details:

Upon talking to Ivan further about things, and given the state the cages we were in, short of having an electric fence around the buns, we couldn't have protected them from what happened. We didn't have anywhere else for the buns to stay (we don't have friends with garages, or anything like that, so Ivan was it as far as options), so this was a last resort. We'd done everything we could imagine to protect them (even down to using clasps on the cage that would even have been raccoon-proof, and fine tough cage mesh that would've prevented the sticking-in of curious animal paws).

The cage panels had actually been bent open, breaking the zip ties and busting through the tough cage mesh that surrounded all four cages. These dogs were amazingly strong, and were large enough to jump any fence. We really don't see any way we could have further protected them. I would take and share pictures of the state of their cages, so you could see what I mean...but I just don't want any reminders further down the line of this devastation.

So, on that note...please be gentle with your words. I've lost half of my babies today, and don't think I could take it if anyone decided to rip into me about something I couldn't have prevented or known would happen.

Edited to add the thread links to our other two losses:

Rosie's Teeny has gone to the Bridge...

My Velveteen is gone

Saying 'I'm so sorry' just seems so meaningless, but I have nothing else to offer. You're right to be grateful you didn't lose them all, but it's also ok to be broken hearted about these girls. It's a completely twisted bittersweet situation.

I'm just so sorry Rosie. Those words are so hollow, but I can't say anything of any true meaning.

Binky free bunny girls.

Rosie, all I can say at the moment is I'm so sorry.

I will pray for you, Danny, EM and all your Bunnies.

I'm in tears reading about this very tragic event that happened to your babies.

God Be With You at this horrible horrible time of your life.

Susan:bigtears:

Pet_Bunny wrote:
:cry1:

Oh Rosie, that is terriblewhathappened to the bunnies.I feel so bad for Em. Lets hope the dogs don't come back.

Stan
At this point, it doesn't matter if they do return...the bunnies will be safe in our motel room with us. So, no chance of losing anymore to that particular situation. Just please pray that we don't lose them due to heart attack.

Thank you very much for your thoughts and prayers, guys. It'll help get us through this.

That's horrible. It sounds like you did everything you could to protect them, but it's amazing how much a big dog can rip stuff apart when they want to get at another animal.

I loved Flower.:tears2:

I sincerely hope that the other buns are ok and that things start to look up for you.:hug:

:hug2:Rosie, I am just devasted to read about this tragic loss. I couldn't imagine losing four beloved bunnies at once. We all know how much you love your bunnies and that you would do anything for them. I'm so sorry that things aren't going well for you and hope that your situation turns around quickly.

Binky free sweet bunnies. :pink iris:

Oh my Lord... I don't know what to say, Rosie.
:bigtears:I am so so sad for the death of your girls. In some small way, I feel a tiny bit better it was heart attacks... fast. There is absolutely no way around this; there was no way you could have prevented this. You are not responsible for this in any way. You have always done your very, very best for your buns. Everyone on RO knows that.

:cry1:Big, Big, Big hugs to your family. I know your words to Em will be wise.
:pink iris::purplepansy::pink iris::purplepansy::pink iris:
Rest Softly, Sweet Girls...
You will be sorely missed.

Autumn

OMG I am so sorry for your loss. I'm only thinking could these dogs possibly have been sent to your friends house to train them to kill small animals, Like you know dog fighting? I don't know do you have that in the states, But it's kinda big in Ireland?:cry1:

I don't what to say. I can't stop crying. I am on the phone with Peg we are both in tears. Our hearts are with you. We both send our prayers and love your way.

Rosie - Ali & I were just crying together over this and I came out to the hotel desk and asked for another 10 minutes on the computer because something had come up.

You are not at fault for this - you did everything you possibly could to protect your rabbits. We know you are a great bunny mom - and sometimes - stuff like this happens no matter what we do.

Please - know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and you do not have our condemnation - but instead - you have our love and support.

Please keep us updated on the rest of "our" babies. Yes - they were yours - but they were ours too. Ali and I were bawling over "our babies" that passed....because you truly made them come alive for us so that they felt like ours too.

No, I can't believe it... I just don't know what to say.....

I can't imagine that kind of loss.

I'm so sorry for you Rosie.... :tears2:

Binky free babies... :rainbow:

I really hope that things start to look up for you guys. You're in my thoughts... xx

Omg, that is terrible! Do they know who's dogs they were or just random strays?

I hope everything is well with the bunnies you are keeping with you. I am so sorry for your loss :( My thoughts are with you and yours. Be strong.

Oh no... So sorry Rosie. I'm too flu-sick to wrap my head around this, it's so tragic. :cry1:

I was just wondering where you were, also sorry you're not in your house anymore.

Not your fault, nobody will blame you. They say a predator pack like that can pick up a rabbit scent from miles away, I guess maybe that's true. I keep thinking how I lost Scooter to a cat attack (even though he attacked the cat). We live and learn. :(

I went to look at the pictures of your girls in your Blog, the links are all broken, but you do have such great descriptions. I'll post the link here for those who didn't get to know your girls as well as some of us. We don't want them forgotten.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=32498&forum_id=6

They will be so missed. :tears2:

You will get through this. Condolences to Danny and Em, too.

sas :sad:

I am so terribly sorry. This is such a tragedy. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that you did the very best you could to protect them, that they didn't have to suffer terribly and passed quickly, and the dogs didn't hurt all of your bunnies. I am so upset at whoever let those dogs run free (or let them free at one time). Our animals should be safe in our backyards--things like this just shouldn't happen, especially to good people. We all know how much you love your bunnies and that you take the best care of them that you possibly can. This is just so sad and I will be praying for you and your family to have much better things happen to you, the kind of things that should happen to good people like you. I pray that everybun that made it through the attack recovers quickly, and that you can get through this difficult time quickly and without any more tragedy. Sorry my post doesn't make much sense, I'm so sorry and I want you to know that I am wishing good things to come your way.

Binky free, beautiful Flower, SweetPea, Trixie, and Cuddles.
:cry1:

Oh, Rosie, I am so very sorry. It sounds like you did everything you could for habitat's sake. Try not to be so hard on yourself. Accidents do happen, tragedies do too.:(

Hugs from me to you and the fam.:hug:

RIP sweethearts: Flower, Trixie, Cuddles, and SweetPea. :rose::rose::rose::rose:

Latest posts

Back