My dog has cancer...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueGiants

Reaction score
Just got home from the vets. Vicky, my Gordon Setter, has cancer, a huge tumor wrapped around her left lung. It's fatal. No chance of surgery or chemo.

She'shad a funnycough for a few days, so I took her in for a check-up. Dr Balbour took x-rays. She's sure of the diagnosis. Dr Balbour said she isn't in anypain yet, but it's a fast growing tumor and she may have a week or two. I brought her home... give us both some time.

I know it's "only" a dog, but she has been my constant companion for over 13 years. (Yeah, I know she is old, but I'm not ready to lose her.) She was there, by my side through so much. She loves the rabbits, has "mothered" babies, and can't resist licking and cleaning any bunny that gets close to her! She helped me raise my kids.

She is a Grand Champion... showed her myself, (well, she showed herself, I just ran along side.) ... put all her points on her, including the majors (and "they" said it couldn't be done by an owner!) Never had to leash her... she did Agility and Obedience. The most wonderful dog I've ever had the pleasure of sharing my home with. She'd do anything for me... all's I had to do was ask her. (I swear, she knew what I was saying. She is so smart.)

1arizonaNvicky.jpg

So I guess I'll enjoy this week with her and try to come to grips with the inevitable. If I could just stop crying long enough to breathe.

This is either going to be the longest week of my life or the shortest.

Oh no :(I'm so very sorry - I've been through this a few times... it's so difficult. I am so glad she had those 13 years with you- and what an amazing bond you two have. She sounds like one of a kind. You are both so lucky to have each other :)Many many hugs to you.... I am glad she is not in pain yet... you still have time.

Oh no hon. I'm so sorry.

The "slightly less bad" news is that you have time this week to take pictures of her - lots of pictures- maybe a video or two. After Tiny got ill -I had him 48 hours and I made sure to take pictures then even though I knew he was ill - those pics are priceless to me now.

I wish I could say more .... I'm in tears for you.

I'll be praying for you this week and sending good thoughts your way.

Oh Cathy nooooo :(I am so so sorry. It never matters how old they are she is a beautiful dog enjoy all your last moments.

sending you the biggest :hug:you know where I am

BlueGiants wrote:
I know it's "only" a dog, but she has been my constant companion for over 13 years. (Yeah, I know she is old, but I'm not ready to lose her.)
First i am so sorry for this news you got. Please dont say she is just a dog, she is way more then that, she is a companion, she is a friend, she is a family member, she is someone to talk to , she is a shoulder to cry on, she is there for you just to sit there when you need her. She is and was never "only a dog". I am so sorry but i am happy that you get to have a week or two with her, even though it is never long enough. I hope you get to enjoy your time with her and again i am so sorry about the diagnosis. We are all here for you if you need a shoulder to cry on.

Cathy,

This just brings tears to my eyes.. I lost my heart kitty 2 years ago, tumors all over his heart, more tumors than heart. I can still think about him and mist up. I read your story and immediately knew how heavy your heart must be.You know that we here at the forum will love and support you. She wasn't just a dog, she was YOUR dog, that you loved and adored..

I am gonna PM you my number.. call me if you need someone to cry with you, or even just to blubber to.. it's allowed you know..

Please do not hesitate to call on me...

Z

I'm so sorry, Cathy! She's such a beautiful dog. I know how close they can be to us and how awful it must be for you.

I hope you have more time than it seems. :hug:

Oh gosh, I can only imagine the pain you are going through right now. My dog - who will be 12 this year - is lying behind me on my bed right now, and I know that if(when) I lose her, it will be beyond devastating. She is my heart and soul.

I wish there was something I could say to help with this, but losing a loved one is never easy. At the very least, you have been blessed with the opportunity to share some time with her, as short as it may be. When my last dog died I had no idea she was even sick; I got up one morning and began vacuuming, Misty was curled up on the sofa, sleeping...or so I thought. She'd died in her sleep sometime in the night from a massive heart attack, brought on by an infection in her bloodstream. She wasn't quite 10 years old.

Give your beautiful Vicky hugs from all of us here...and know that we have you in our thoughts and prayers....

~Di

You are all so very kind. I've calmed down a bit. The vet said it could be a week or two. I'll go for the TWO! :)pray: Please God!)

I'll spend the time spoiling her. She can have all the biscuits she wants. She got chicken and rice for dinner tonight. (She's laying by my feet now... don't want to think about her not being there.

Thanks so much for the kind words. You guys are all so great. And yeah Peg, I'll take lots of photo's of her this week. She's still mobile and playing, she just gets winded easy.

Zin, you are a gem... thank you. I may take you up on that offer. :?

Cathy, My heart is breaking for you and for Vicky. I am so sorry she has cancer and you have to lose her this way. She has been a good friend and family member to you. I will pray for you to have as much time as possible.

Ann

GoinBackToCali wrote:
I am gonna PM you my number.. call me if you need someone to cry with you, or even just to blubber to.. it's allowed you know..

Cathy,

Zin is a good one to blubber on....she really is. She might blubber with you for a bit - but I usually hang up the phone laughing....

LOL! she's a hoot to talk to on the phone.

If Peg, me and Zin got together I think we'd talk til we dropped!

I am so sorry to hear of your news. I experienced something similar with my heart-dog, and the vet techs kept telling me to think of the "other option". I just said it wasn't time because she didn't tell it was time. She had her sense of humor and her eyes sparkled until one Saturday when I came home from work and I saw how tired she really was. She finally let her pain show even though her body had been so sick for so long.

All I can say is that you should watch her eyes. They will tell you when she is tired of fighting and had enough. You will know it when you see it in her eyes even though she loves you so much to hide the pain for as long as she can.

Best wishes on you time together and lots of hugs for the both of you,

myheart

I love that she loves the bunnies. Sydney loves them too..... she thought the rats were puppies. She checks on the bunnies all the time!

My heart is breaking for you, Cathy.

:(I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I am in a similiar thing right now too. My 7 month kitten has fip virus and there is nothing I can do or the vet can do. But make him comfortable. I know the pain your feeling it doesnt matter how long you have had your pet 1 week or 15 years they are part of your heart.

God bless

bunnylady:bigtears:

I am so sorry to hear about Vicky and sorry to not know anything about her - perhaps it might help you to tell everyone about her story (and sorry if its' already been told)..

I've lost a few "heart" pets, and its never easy when you get the word that its "their" time to go, but I've been on both sides and it is kinda of nice to make the last few days - special. My heart is with you both.

I am so sorry. She is beautiful. I hope she stays with you a little longer. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Back