My dog has cancer...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know its different but my hamster had cancer a few years ago :( Although (chemo as far as i know is out of the question for hamsters!) She lived for a further 3 months which was pretty amazing. Hamsters are resilient little creatures.

Good luck x

Fran :) :hearts:brownbunny

I'm so very, very sorry that your dear friend has been diagnosed with cancer....and as far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as "just a (insert animal name here") These companions are our friends and our babies, and they are loved and cherished with all of our hearts.

Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and Vicky as you spend this time with each other. :pray: May she be pain-free and may you both feel peace.

Oh, hon, I'm so sorry. And everyone on here knows there is no such thing as "just a dog". There is always that super special dog/cat/rabbit, whatever, that is your best friend. You will know when it is time, and you never know, she may surprise you by hanging on a lot longer than the vet thinks. Prayers for you in this awful time.

I am so sorry Cathy, she sounds like one amazing dog and a great friend. At least you still have time together.

The whole forum is here for you!

Dave

Oh goodness, I am so sorry to hear this. Vicky is a beautiful girl (I haven't seen many Gordon Spaniels), and she sounds like an awesome friend.

I hope you have a wonderful time together, how ever long it may be. To quote Peg, take as many pictures and vids as you can, and enjoy each other

Jan

I am so sorry. I'm choking up writing this because I can't imagine how devastated I would feel if it was my dog. It sounds like you and Vicky have had some wonderful years together, and you are really lucky to have two weeks left together. Maybe you could hire a photographer to take some photos of you both together?

Cathy, she is beautiful and you've provided her with a life filled with fun, skill, love and compassion. I'm sure she has returned the favor many times over for you and your family.

The pain of knowing a loss is near is terrible, but just remember - there will be an eventual time your memories can be looked back on, not with stark pain and sadness, butwith fondness and good cheer.

((hugs))

How are you guys doing Cathy?

Thanks for asking. I'm doing OK. Vicky is holding her own. Not noticably worse in the last two days... except for that cough. She gets winded real easy, but is still demanding her biscuits and treats and still wants to be petted for hours on end. I fell asleep on the floor next to her Saturday. She didn't move away from me all night. (LOL! I think she was worried about ME!)

We spent the weekend together and it was so nice out yesterday, I took both dogs out in the garden and took photo's. (Thanks Peg!) My other dog, Aries (another Gordon Setter) is so dependent on Vicky, he's going to be beside himself when she is gone.

My mother is the one who said, "It's just a dog!"... that kind of hurt. She knows how attached I am.

Vicky ("Champion Rainbow's Secret Garden, CGC") would do anything I asked of her. From mothering a litter of blind bunnies that needed to be kept warm to watching my kids. (If I told her to "watch", She'd put herself across the doorway to keep them in a room. And heaven help us if they cried! She'd come and find me and drag me back to them!). She hated being shown in the ring. Just wasn't her thing and she let me know it. But I asked her, and she did it. Never had to put a leash on her (unless "required"). She did love doing Agility (no one ever saw such a big dog (75 lbs.) doing weave poles, A-framesand see-saws! She loved the tunnels.) She enjoyed Obedience. I taught her hand signals for all commands, she could drop to a "down" position 100' away from me. (BTW, comes in handy now that her hearing isn't so good.)

I totally freaked on Saturday. Wasn't expecting that news, and didn't handle it well. (I thought she had picked up Kennel Cough or something.)

I so appreciate all your kind words and support. (I needed to share with people that understood.) My family and I will get through this, but you all are making it much easier. (I let my daughters read your comments too. Vicky is the dog that was there when they were growing up... ) I'll let Vicky tell me when she is ready. Maybe the vet is wrong and I'll get a little extra time. (Vicky has always had a mind of her own... ). Thanks for being therefor me. :love:

It is so difficult sometimes, especially when its a pet that has been there so many years. I know we had a cat that my parents had got before i was born. He was about 17 years old when he started going downhill. He had such a good personality and was such a character, known by all my friends and extended family because he was so odd. It was horrible when we had to put him down, i couldn't handle it. I had never lived in a house without a cat in it. I had never lived without an animal! I can understand it must be so hard for you, and for your daughters too. Especially when she has been more than just a pet to you.

x

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Prayers for all of you. It's never easy to say goodbye to a loved one. Know that Vicky is part of your family.
I've always found it hard to let one of my dogs go. They're the only ones who are always there for you no matter how you look or feel. Trusting us completely.

Lee

It's never easy when the vet delivers this kind of news. My thoughts are with you as you face the weeks ahead.

Back in '91 a stray dog showed up in Door County WI, when our three children were vacationing with Gramma. The shelter person said, if you can't find the owner, you're better off keeping the lab/retriever, 9 months old estimate. "She won't be kept long at the pound"; i.e., euthanized. Heck, she ate half the basement steps while we were newbies at the housetraining thing, then chewed off the fabric skirt of the sofa when she moved upstairs, did tons of damage. She wanted to be with her doting family. Main level of the house. !With the kids in the bedrooms! Etc. Etc.
Mistybelle lived with us for 15 1/2 years. My constant walking companion and door greeter with that tail !! Woof. Toward the end, her eyes foretold the misery and pain from arthritic hips and joints. Despite pain meds from the vet for over a year. She had begun soiling the carpets when we couldn't get her outside in time. No longer able to sleep upstairs with us, or climb a step into the front porch at times after widdling outside. A really difficult day came on June 23, 2006. With tears in our eyes and stroking her while the vet administered the extra anesthesia, my hubby and I watched her ease from suffering.

:heartsTreasure Every Single day she is with you, Cathy. They are family and the love & companionship they provide will never be forgotten.

{{Cathy, Vicky}} and all who understand,

edit: I will add, she chomped down on lotsa yummy doggie biscuits not wanting to leave a final snack offered, behind... Head pets to your beautiful lady,

I spent the night up with Vicky. She was retching and vomiting mucous and blood, I think it's time.... I think she is leting me know it's OK... at least I have to tell myselfthat or I'll be atotal blithering mess. (OK, I will be anyway. But I have to do this one teeny step at a time.)Made the appointment for Friday afternoon. Can't do it today, younger daughter is at a sleep over... vet is closed tomorrow (but she did offer to come in for me...), so Friday...

I know I've been lucky, vet said a week and I gotalmost 3... I had time to spoil her and let her know how much I love her and how special she has been in my life.

I'm taking Friday afternoon off... couldn't go into work and deal with this. On top of this, my mother is coming on Saturday... for 2 weeks. (Won't get any sympathy there.)

Vicki is one special part of the family. kindness and hugs, tf

:hug::in tears::pink iris:

:pray:for you and your family, just know that she won't be hurting anymore. I always like to think of my Bridge dogs running and playing in Heaven, where there is no pain or even getting tired. YOu're doing the right thing.

I'm so sorry for the decision you're having to make. Poor baby - and poor you.

Remember - you're not losing a "dog" - you are losing a "companion". That is the difference....sometimes I think our animals can almost be closer to us than humans - cause they don't talk back and fight with us (much).

I'll be praying for you on Friday.

Latest posts

Back