My cat peed on the carpet. How can I get rid of the smell??!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmh9023

Reaction score
My cat tried to use one of the rabbit's litterboxes tonight and most of it went over the edge and into the carpet and onto the baseboard. I saw it happen, but I couldn't catch her in time to stop her. Ugh! I tried to soak up as much as I could right away and also used vinegar and water and a carpet spot cleaner called Get Serious. It still smells :(Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use?

Also, has anyone ever used a Rug Doctor? I have a Hoover steam vac at home but it doesn't do that great of a job. It's kind of old. I was wondering if renting a Rug Doctor would be more high-powered than a home model?

Try using an enzymic cleaner. You have to soak the area and let it sit for a set amount of time (an hour or so) before sucking it up.

I used some on some couches we got from a smoking home. The smell was so powerful that the landlord could smell it from upstairs, and it got rid of all the smell.

I believe we used the rug doctor brand. I bought it at Safeway, where they rent the rug doctor machines. I just squirted it all over the couches then used a wet/dry vac to suck the excess up after the alloted time.

--Dawn

Enzyme cleaners as Dawn suggested. You can get bottles at WalMart in the pet dept. or Pet Supplies Plus and use a spray bottle. If it's just a small area of arpet you don't need to rent a carpet cleaner. Out, Outright, Simple Solution, Nature's Miracle, Anti-IckyPoo (AIP) are some of the name brands.

I persoanlly prefer Nature's Miracle Most pet supplies carry it http://www.naturemakesitwork.com/home/index.php

Two products I've used that seem to work well at removing cat urine odor are "Nature's Miracle" and "Pet Botanics Stain and Odor Remover". I picked up both of them at a local PetSmart. (I was actually surprised at how well they worked too; there was a spot in the corner of my bedroom (on the carpet) where one of my cats had urinated and I didn't notice it until it had dried. (I'd been wondering where the smell of cat was coming from...and found out once I got down on my hands and knees...ewww.) So I used the Nature's Miracle, saturated the spot, let it dry, and then used it once again there...and now you'd never know there'd been an 'accident' there. :)

Thanks, everyone! I'll be stopping at the pet store on the way home from work tomorrow. I think I've seen Nature's Miracle there. I appreciate the suggestions :)

Cara

Latest posts

Back