My bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kassidylangiano

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a little worried about my baby boy, he's supposedly 9 1/2 weeks old, a Dutch lionhead. I am so in love with him so I'm probably worrying about nothing but today and today only... He has been pooping but they are so soft and much bigger than normal.... He seems fine in himself though...

Should I be taking him to the vets?
He eats pellets (tons of them) and hay... But not that much hay... He tends to favor the pellets.

Iv done research but Google is terrible and is making me worry...

Any advice would be so appreciated

Sometimes they do soft poo that they eat

I'd cut down on the pellet a little and push more hay. Also, I'd be giving him alfalfa til he hits 6 months as it is higher in calcium and protein. Any time we have a new bunny we always take them to the vet for a check up. Might not be necessary, but we don't want to take a chance on passing something on to our other bunnies.

Not changed his food but I did have to give him a bath before it happened.... Could it be stress? He is starting to poop normal again today but it lasted a while so I took his pellets away and just fed him a ton of hay...

Sometimes stress can cause some digestive troubles, so it's possible it could be from that. Why did you have to bathe him?

He has a habit of sleeping in his litter tray and because he's a lionhead he is so fluffy so all his wee was making his smelly, and sawdust was matted into his fluff. I do groom him daily but I couldn't get that out with a comb without hurting him so it had to be a bath. He hated the bath and bless him scratched me up trying to get out.. I felt awful :( he seems much happier today and his poos seem to be normal from what I can see. But he's not pooping as much as he used too... I have cut down his food as hes tiny and was eating 2-3 bowls of pellets a day :/ I didn't know if that was healthy for him or not ? I don't want to over feed him. But now I feel like I'm starving him...

As long as he's getting unlimited hay and eating it, he won't starve, but I know they still act like that's what you're doing :) Typically baby buns need to eat a lot of pellets for growing, but sometimes you need to limit that amount if the bun isn't eating enough hay, and/or the pellets are causing digestive issues like mushy poop or smaller than usual poop.

Bathing a rabbit isn't usually a good idea. It can be a very stressful experience for them, and if a rabbit is healthy it shouldn't need bathing. If the litter is causing cleanliness problems, you may need to change your set up. What type of litter are you using and is it cleaned out often?

I clean him out maybe twice a week, but he's litter trained and goes in his box but he sometimes sleeps in it as well. Iv changed the bedding in the litter box so it's different so he can tell the difference.

But because he's so fluffy occasionally I just can't comb out the sawdust that gets stuck in his bum area? I don't want to hurt him... But i won't be bathing him again.... I felt evil because he hated it.... But it HAD to be done there was no way to get his bum clean of sawdust without it :( he seems so much happier now! Poops are normal and iv cut down his pellets to the right amount for his weight.

I give him broccoli and carrot at bed time so he munches on his pellets through the day and has his veggies for the evening...

I'm just so worried I'll do something wrong and he'll get sick...

If you do have to help him keep his bottom half clean, I'd recommend using baby wipes. Moistening them with warm water beforehand should help with removing some of the litter that's more stuck. That way the bunny doesn't stress about being soaked in water. :)

If you do have to soak the area to clean it properly, you should look into doing 'butt baths', where you only have their back paws/butt in the water. Using paint trays like this can be a good tool.

You just want to make sure you are feeding more than an adult portion of pellets, as babies need more. An adult portion for that type of rabbit would be about 1/4-1/2 cup so a baby would need almost double that, but this amount would only be if there is no mushy poop or digestive upset. If there is then the amount may need to be reduced a little. And also make sure to feed unlimited hay. One other possible reason for the soft poop could be that you are feeding broccoli and carrots. 9 1/2 weeks is a little early to be introducing veggies to a baby bunny if it isn't something they were fed when they were with their mom. It's usually best to wait until they are at least 12 weeks old, so that their digestive system is more developed and can better handle the new foods. Carrots and broccoli aren't the best veggies to start with either. Broccoli is a cruciferous veggie and can sometimes cause gas and digestive upset for some rabbits. Carrots are high in sugar and can cause mushy poop and bacterial imbalance if fed too much of. They are considered a treat and should only be given in very small amounts, and only if there is no mushy poop or smaller than usual poop. Better veggies to start with when a bunny is old enough, are leafy greens like dark leafy lettuce(never iceburg), parsley, cilantro, carrot greens. And like any new food(except usually grass hay), they should be started in small amounts and increased gradually, looking for signs of digestive upset.
This link has some good info on introducing veggies and diet info for rabbits, though their info on non cruciferous veggies isn't correct, as some rabbits can get gas from them. So always introduce those very cautiously if at all.
http://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

I have buns that like to sleep in their litter boxes too, and them getting dirty from it is never an issue. If you are using wood shavings, that might be your problem. Try using wood pellet litter. It's cleaner and less likely to get caught up in the fur. I also put a layer of hay over the wood pellets. This makes it softer for my buns feet, as the pellets are a bit rough and they don't like that. Then each day I sprinkle a fresh layer of hay over the peed on hay. This also helps keep them cleaner.

Using wipes is a good alternative to bathing, and bathing should be avoided except in very rare instances. If a rabbit is getting soiled and dirty enough that it requires a bath, and doesn't have medical issues causing this, then something needs to be corrected in the rabbits life/environment to ensure the rabbit is staying clean.

Last edited:
He seems a lot better! Thank you! I have used a soft litter and he's using it perfectly! His poops are perfect and I only give him the smallest amount of veg... I have been giving him 25g of his junior baby rabbit pellets which is apparently right for his weight... But it looks like such a small amount... He eats his hay so I'm happy with that I just love my bunny so much I am worried about him all the time!

He seems healthy and happy and I will definitely use the baby wipe baths for his bum next time!

When I spoke to a vet they said I was over feeding him which is why he wasn't re digesting the softer larger poops like most bunnies do but since iv cut back on his pellets he hasn't been leaving any :)

I think my little man is finally back to healthy :)

Latest posts

Back