My bunny NOT lively

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bunny rabbit is 4 months old, I have had him for almost 2 months. I litter trained him the first month. He now has the run of the whole house, bunny proofed and all. He eats with excitement, he is NOT listless. BUT unlike my last 2 bunnies whom hopped and binkyed around, Romeo does not make ANY effort to hop or jump or run around, he is NOT curious at all. He is still staying in the corner that is his, with his food and hay and water and litter bucket.He hardly moves around at all. WHAT is wrong and what can be done?

Some of ours' are slug emulators for sure while others of our herd make the energizer bunny look like a slacker. Ted, who is no longer with us used to sleep about 21 hours a day. Bambi is into and onto everything and rearranges all the bunny furniture in our rabbit room. Just how each one is.

FWIW, Hershey twice went into a period of not being as active as he previous was. Last time he stopped wanting to jump into his litter box, he stopped climbing on his stairs, and won't run through his tunnels anymore. He ate well etc.

Finally, we found out he had a tapeworm. That was treated and he was back to normal. Tapeworms come from fleas, and fleas come from the outside. Has your rabbit been outside?

I'd get him checked out to rule out physical issues. A rabbit that age should be more active, but I imagine there are exceptions. Has he explored much in the past?

What is his area like? Does he have overhead cover, traction and a box or something to hide in? Anything in corner to hop up on or chew/shred/play with?

I have other homebodies but its usually because they really like their area, its large, lots of levels and traction and boxes full of hay, etc, and they're older. They make one round of the house when I open the door and then head back home.

Neil, my smashed leg guy, tends to stick to his corner or where there is overhead cover and a hiding box, although he'll check out a few things close by. (He was living in a thicket at UVic after being hit by a car). He may realize his disability makes that necessary. His pen mate is all over the house. (She was a park bunny).

One of the UVic offspring bunnies (born and raised indoors) is pretty shy and doesn't go very far, but the other five are curious in stages(the three black ones being the shyest, the colored ones less shy and the blonde ridiculously outgoing).

sas :bunnydance:

Pipp summed up most of what I was going to add.
Definitely consider how comfortable he feels in the room. Some rabbits will only walk on carpet and many animals feel safer with something overhead. Have you tried building him a cardboard castle or offering him a tunnel to explore?

Becky is 4 years, so that might be a big difference, but she stays in her area pretty exclusively. Part of the bedroom is set up with her hay, litter box, hide hole, dishes, toys and blankies. She rarely goes outside of that area even though there's nothing stopping her. Sometimes she will hop over to the other side of the bed then go back to her area. I've never seen her go more than a few hops out into the hall. In her case she was severely confined for the first couple years (to the point she didn't know how to hop or periscope) so I guess her space feels very large and enough to her? She's very enthusiastic about food and will play with her toys.

I think some rabbits are just more home buns than others. Houdini, now he is the exact opposite and tries to get into trouble every chance he gets. As long as you rule out any physical causes, I would say relax and enjoy your bunloaf. :)

Latest posts

Back