My bunny just pasted today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelbywachter

Reaction score
Well my bun frosty who I had just got three days ago has pasted today, i got him on Christmas morning, my dad was thinking about getting me another one but I'm afraid he might die just like frosty. I don't know if I over fed him or if he got sick. Frosty would always eat, I'm not that experienced with rabbits. Aren't u supposed to leave a bowl of food in the cage and hay for them to feed? Or was I not supposed to? He was only a month old and I let him roam in my screened in porch and I let my dogs and cat sniff him.

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1419823966.608010.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1419824002.589951.jpg

What should I do with my new bun? I'm terrified he might die and I'll be heartbroken.

If he was a month old, he was weaned from his mama far too young, which probably contributed to his passing. :( Rabbits shouldn't be weaned from their mother until around 8 weeks of age.

I'm so sorry. If you get another rabbit make sure you get one that is a least 8 weeks old and healthy. Also make sure you read lots of information on how to feed your baby rabbit. http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/diet-baby.asp
They should have hay at all times, more than they can eat, and a good quality pellet like oxbow. At 8 weeks old they are just getting use to eating fresh veggies and greens and you only give them small amounts. You are supposed to ask the breeder what fresh greens they feed and how much and feed the same greens the breeder feeds and introduce any new greens slowly and very carefully. Any signs of mushy poo and you stop feeding greens and give them just hay.

sorry to hear about the passing .... =0(

as mentioned, little has been taken away from its mum a bit to earlier in this matter .... which they need their mums loving care for at least 8 to 9 weeks ( little more is always better )

Like the other said, one month old is too young, don't take a rabbit who isn't at least 8 weeks old. Also, I would be careful about letting cats and dogs sniff the rabbit, unless they are very calm and the rabbit seems relax. Rabbits have weak hearts and can die of fright.
I suggest you go and read a good reliable website about rabbits like this one:

http://rabbit.org/category/care/

They have article about everything: food, cage or free range, litter training, spaying/neutering, illness, vaccination...
Once you've read everything, if you still have questions or if some things are unclear, come back here to ask about it. I strongly suggest you do your homework about rabbit food before getting another to find good pellets, hay and how to introduce vegetables. Don't forget to leave clean water and hay for the rabbit at all time! Baby rabbits are very fragile and can die easily if they don't receive the proper care.

If you think you still would like a rabbit, maybe it would be a better idea to get one that is not a baby. You can get a rescue rabbit. Rescues almost always have rabbits that are still under 1 year of age. That still gives you plenty of time considering rabbits can live over 10 years.

The advantage of getting a rabbit that is over 6 months of age is that they are not as delicate as the babies. And if you get the rabbit from a rescue, they are usually already fixed, which saves you from having to deal with the hormonal time when bunnies can become aggressive and misbehave.

A rabbit this age can bond with you just as easily (or even easier) than a baby rabbit.
I've gotten lots of my rabbits from rescues and love to choose rabbits from rescues since their personalities are evident (babies change).
Here is a page that compares the pros and cons of getting a baby vs getting a slightly older, rescue rabbit. (just scroll down on that link toward the bottom)

If you think you still would like a rabbit, maybe it would be a better idea to get one that is not a baby. You can get a rescue rabbit. Rescues almost always have rabbits that are still under 1 year of age. That still gives you plenty of time considering rabbits can live over 10 years.

The advantage of getting a rabbit that is over 6 months of age is that they are not as delicate as the babies. And if you get the rabbit from a rescue, they are usually already fixed, which saves you from having to deal with the hormonal time when bunnies can become aggressive and misbehave.

A rabbit this age can bond with you just as easily (or even easier) than a baby rabbit.
I've gotten lots of my rabbits from rescues and love to choose rabbits from rescues since their personalities are evident (babies change).
Here is a page that compares the pros and cons of getting a baby vs getting a slightly older, rescue rabbit. (just scroll down on that link toward the bottom)

Thank you but I checked our local shelter and they don't have any rabbits, nor do any shelters a couple of miles away. I live in a kind of remote area that has to get stuff shipped in only if you want something that's not in town haha but thanks for the website I'll be sure to check it out

Rabbit rescues are different than generic shelters. Might want to try a google search for "rabbit rescues, ____" (your state, or wherever you live). Or, if you let us know the general area where you live, we can help find a rabbit rescue. They are more common than many realize, but can be hard to find if one doesn't know where to look.

how very sad.
young rabbits are very vulnerable. i probably would only let the pets view him/ her at a distance, until things become normal and settled. ie a month or more. my previous buny was terrified of everything but bunnies and guinea pigs. this one likes dogs and cats.
keep them between 17- 25 degrees celsius. check if their ears are hot or cold and provide a blanket to the cage and/ or a frozen water bottle with label removed that the bunny can get away from.
i got my 2 yo bunny at 6 weeks, and he only really liked to eat fresh greens. he has hay, but i think he only likes pellets greens, blue berry treats, the odd carrot or apple.
good luck.

Along with any research you do with learning about rabbits to ensure your new rabbit stays healthy, also build it a NIC Cage (Neat Idea Cube) that way your rabbit has plenty of room in its home. Those cages from pet stores are nothing more than a glorified litter pan and your rabbit will outgrow it in a month or so time. They cost not much more than a cage from the pet store but in size comparison dwarf the pet store ones giving your rabbit plenty of room to move around even when its in its cage.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/rabbit-cages-cubes.asp

Latest posts

Back