My bunny eats tooo much paper, can’t get her to stop :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnie lover

Reaction score
My bunny has been eating/chewing on paper for ever but lately it seems like she’s straight just eat it. She has hay/pellets available to her 24/7 & the only other thing I can get her to chew on is sticks from our fig tree. I think she’s bored but I’m having trouble finding things she likes, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Does she eat her hay really well, at least a pile the size of her body, per day? Do you limit pellets amounts or does she always have access to them? Is she consuming large amounts of paper products? Any noticeable changes in her eating or chewing?

I would remove the paper. Ingestion of non-food stuff is never great. Try grass chew mats. Does she eat her body size in hay every day? Sometimes they get interested in chewing paper or cardboard when their gut is slowing down from not eating enough fibre for example.

Right, remove the paper. I give my rabbits tree branches (willow, apple, ash.... ) to gnaw on, keeps them quite occupied and satisfies that urge to have something to do with their teeth. It's quite healthy stuff too.

I buy various sticks from Small Pet Select.

I also have a large supply of willow baskets & tents from Binky Bunny. They have new (cheaper) palm leaf bowls, too -- I picked up around 50 of them recently when I found my rabbits like to eat them.

I had a cardboard box that an xpen came in that my buck loved to eat. He probably ate more than half the cardboard over a couple years. As long as the material is mostly natural -- no glues, coloring, etc., it shouldn't be an issue. I've caught my doe eating the cottontail cottage, too.

During Christmas, I always buy small trees exclusively for the rabbits to eat. I get mine from the grocery store. For $25 (half off after Christmas!), the 2-3' tree is a pretty good deal as far as edible rabbit chew toys go.

I buy various sticks from Small Pet Select.

I also have a large supply of willow baskets & tents from Binky Bunny. They have new (cheaper) palm leaf bowls, too -- I picked up around 50 of them recently when I found my rabbits like to eat them.

I had a cardboard box that an xpen came in that my buck loved to eat. He probably ate more than half the cardboard over a couple years. As long as the material is mostly natural -- no glues, coloring, etc., it shouldn't be an issue. I've caught my doe eating the cottontail cottage, too.

During Christmas, I always buy small trees exclusively for the rabbits to eat. I get mine from the grocery store. For $25 (half off after Christmas!), the 2-3' tree is a pretty good deal as far as edible rabbit chew toys go.
Huh just a regular Christmas tree?? Thanks this is perfect great advice!

Right, remove the paper. I give my rabbits tree branches (willow, apple, ash.... ) to gnaw on, keeps them quite occupied and satisfies that urge to have something to do with their teeth. It's quite healthy stuff too.
Thanks for the ideas !

Does she eat her hay really well, at least a pile the size of her body, per day? Do you limit pellets amounts or does she always have access to them? Is she consuming large amounts of paper products? Any noticeable changes in her eating or chewing?
I’ve been limiting her pellets every morning she’s comes up stairs to the big room with her toys and hay only, she spends all day there until bed time. I’ve taken away the paper at this point too.

Huh just a regular Christmas tree?? Thanks this is perfect great advice!
Check that the tree hasn't been sprayed with chemicals. And I would not let them chew more than a small amount of anything they are not used to.

Back