My bunny doesnt look like he has incisors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncknyr

Reaction score
My cute little bunny used to have perfect incisors and he used them to chop many and different hard food pieces.

I checked his teeth 2 days ago because he was looking that is was hard for him to chop the pieces and it looked as if he had none at all incisors.

What do I have to do to help him grow back his incisors and make sure he does not brake them again.

He doesnt really like hay, so he is only eating mixed rabbit food and some fruits.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Oh wow! If he's broken his front teeth he will be struggling to pick food up and eat it.
His back teeth will also be at risk of overgrowing, particularly if he doesn't eat hay.
He really should be eating hay, have you tried different types of hay, some have herbs added to encourage him to eat it?
It's really important to keep a record of his weight. Weigh him daily to make sure he is getting enough food. If he starts to lose weight, you may need to start syringe feeding him.

Oh wow! If he's broken his front teeth he will be struggling to pick food up and eat it.
His back teeth will also be at risk of overgrowing, particularly if he doesn't eat hay.
He really should be eating hay, have you tried different types of hay, some have herbs added to encourage him to eat it?
It's really important to keep a record of his weight. Weigh him daily to make sure he is getting enough food. If he starts to lose weight, you may need to start syringe feeding him.
Thanks for your reply!

The positive thing is that he manages to choose the food he wants and from what I hear he can and manages to break the pieces it contains. I got him a new food now that says it's for sensitivity and I saw that he was able to eat it more successfully and with more appetite. I will try to cut the hay into small pieces so that he can eat them more successfully.

The main thing would be making sure he continues to eat and drink enough, and has healthy looking fecal balls. If he's struggling to eat, cutting his food into smaller pieces may help. If eating pellets is difficult, a rabbit recovery food mix can be used, or making up a mush from his pellets by soaking in warm water (made fresh for each feeding).

There's not much you can do about how or whether they grow back in normally. But it is important to make sure that the teeth breaking doesn't result in an infection/abscess forming. Also, if any top or bottom incisors or peg teeth are still present, a vet will need to keep them trimmed regularly, until the other teeth grow back in.

It would be a good idea to have your bun checked by a knowledgeable rabbit vet, and have xrays done if needed. If not now, later, as there may be sharp points as the teeth grow out, that need trimming, as well as checking for developing infection.

The only way to try and prevent it from happening again is by trying to figure out how he may have broken them. If he broke his teeth by pulling on cage bars, you'll need to make changes to his living environment to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Medirabbit: dental issues

(CONTAINS GRAPHIC MEDICAL RELATED PHOTOS)
https://lbah.com/rabbit/rabbit-teeth-conditions/
http://www.rabbitvet.net/Eurovets.htm#Greece

You really need to get him to eat hay--natural diet for rabbits. All of ours are rescues--Peter did not know what hay was, so I cut his pellets down to almost nothing--2 days later he was eating hay and started ignoring pellets. We also gave him vegetables twice a day--toook a while for him to catch onto eating them as vegetables were a completely new thing to him also. Time and patience.

Back