My bunny and kitty living together

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babbziesmom

Reaction score
Free range double black and grey lionhead bunny and white 5 month old kitty. was both babies when they got together male cat is fixed female rabbit is not due to no vets willing to do the surgery near me. (I have to travel and wait)
So to my issue. I was afraid they wouldn't get along but have actually become wonderful friends. So close in fact the bunny has decided she really loves her cat Eagley and wants to bring their relationship to the next level. How do I stop this short of her being fully spayed? And it's 100% her instigating the incidents. 🤣 I couldn't make this up.. have a few interesting hilarious videos but I'm afraid she will push him. His(the cat) claws are short and covered just an fyi.. at this point I'm more worried about her hurting him.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220911-103607_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220911-103607_Photos.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Unfortunately, This is probably a placement of your bunzo trying to be dominant rather than intimate, especially since your buns is a female. Try to look for any signs of your bunny Grunting, or possibly even biting your cat. if your bunny does end up grunting at your cat, or biting, I think its best you keep them in different rooms.

It could be both, hormones and dominance behavior. Usually the only way to stop the hormonal side is spaying.

If that's your zip code in your profile and you can travel a bit, there's a listing for a rabbit vet within an hour of your location, which should be able to do a spay.

https://rabbit.org/rabbit-veterinarians-state-listings/#WestVirginia
If this is the vet you're talking about having to wait to travel to, about all you can do to discourage the behavior until that time, is move your rabbit away from your cat when it happens, distract your rabbit with something else, give your rabbit a stuffed animal, train your rabbit to respond to commands(doesn't always work well), or if the behavior starts to lead to aggression, separate them until your rabbit is spayed.

Free range double black and grey lionhead bunny and white 5 month old kitty. was both babies when they got together male cat is fixed female rabbit is not due to no vets willing to do the surgery near me. (I have to travel and wait)
So to my issue. I was afraid they wouldn't get along but have actually become wonderful friends. So close in fact the bunny has decided she really loves her cat Eagley and wants to bring their relationship to the next level. How do I stop this short of her being fully spayed? And it's 100% her instigating the incidents. 🤣 I couldn't make this up.. have a few interesting hilarious videos but I'm afraid she will push him. His(the cat) claws are short and covered just an fyi.. at this point I'm more worried about her hurting him.
Please don't have a cat and bunny together. We are heart broken over the loss of our bun. We don't know for definite but it was sudden. Please remember just smelling a cat can cause a heart attack for your bun. We were forced to choose by mother nature. Sam was only 3. The Dwarf lop in my pic. We will never get over loosing him. He was our baby boy x

Im so, so sorry to hear that ): and yes, Cats will sometimes attack domestic bunnies, and sometimes rabbits will get very scared to the point of having a heart attack, but ive never heard of just smelling one causing death ): In my experience (I was a foster mom for bunnies for a while, rabbits as young as 2 weeks to adults) my cat didnt get along with rabbits at first, didnt attack, but would walk away if my bunnies approached him. it would take around a month before they started cuddling and being more friendly. I think monitoring a cat and bunnies first approach is very important, same with any time after that. Cats can be unpredictable if they feel they are in a stressful situation. but, they sometimes can make good bonds if done correctly. its all about taking it slow and being careful (This is also in my experience, what worked for me might not work for you) Again, Im so sorry about your loss and I hope you the best.

Please don't have a cat and bunny together. We are heart broken over the loss of our bun. We don't know for definite but it was sudden. Please remember just smelling a cat can cause a heart attack for your bun. We were forced to choose by mother nature. Sam was only 3. The Dwarf lop in my pic. We will never get over loosing him. He was our baby boy x
Cats and dogs can often get along with rabbits. Not always, though. It depends on the individual cat and the individual dog (and breed). Caution is always advised and introductions should be done deliberately. However there are many people who have had their rabbit get along with or even bond with a dog or a cat.

https://rabbit.org/rabbits-and-cats/

Latest posts

Back