MY BLACK FLEMISH GIANT DOE HAD BABIES TONIGHT !

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabbitdad12

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
:shock:BABIES! :stork:Well, 3 weeks ago, Sept 15th, I went to a rabbit show and came home with a black flemish doe. The idea being to breed her with the steel buck I have. This would be our first attempt at breeding and we were going to keep good track when the buns were introduced so naturally we would know when the kits would be due.

I had my other flemish doe out for grooming and exercise time. I put her back into her cage and got another bun out. I was entering the bunny room to put her back and noticed what looked like a mouse in Sweetie's cage. I was thinking how in the world did a mouse get in there. Then I looked and it wasn't a mouse it was a kit!

Sweetie moved and I saw the afterbirth and more kits! She had given birth to 6 flemish kits. About this time, being unprepared as I was I began to go into a mild panic! :? After my first child I had at least an idea what to do the next time. This being my first rabbit birth I had no clue.

I called (yelled) for my son, Sweetie had babies! What? Sweetie had babies! Being a teen he wasn't really listening, but I finally got his attention. We called a friend in 4-H who has bred flemish for help.

After we followed her advice, I had my son call my wife who was on her way home from a class. I told him to tell her she was a grandma! He told her what happened she was surprised too! WHAT?!? Honey, I may be just a guy and the father of three, but I think I can recognize what birth looks like. After being told I was a wiseguy, she couldn't wait to get home and see them.

So now we have 19 bunnies in the house, 2 cats and 2 dogs. All I wanted to do was put a rabbit away and take a shower so I could go to bed. What an evening!:biggrin2:

*giggles*

Boy you guys got more than you paid for when you made it a baker's dozen!

PICS!PICS!PICS! :biggrin2:

Wow! How exciting! If you have the time you should make a blog and follow the growth of the babies (this is a purely selfish request) :biggrin2:eeeee! so exciting!!!

Yay, congrabbits! Does this mean we get daily updated photos of the babies? I sure hope so!

tundrakatiebean wrote:
Wow! How exciting! If you have the time you should make a blog and follow the growth of the babies (this is a purely selfish request) :biggrin2:eeeee! so exciting!!!
A photo blog! Group photos, and individual. Compared to other bunnies (all 13) and ....... whatever else we can come up with!!!! ;)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
tundrakatiebean wrote:
A photo blog! Group photos, and individual. Compared to other bunnies (all 13) and ....... whatever else we can come up with!!!! ;)
Babies with mama!

Congratulations! Can you tell what colors the babies are? (Any white bellies? Might be steels or light grays!) Good luck with the litter... photo's would be nice!

Here are a couple of the babies. I just discovered the out of focus part on the pics was a fingerprint smear. I'll have clearer ones this weekend and I am going to start a photo blog.:biggrin2:

sweetiesflemishbabies10-5-07.jpg

Sweetie10-5-07.jpg

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Here are a couple of the babies. I just discovered the out of focus part on the pics was a fingerprint smear. I'll have clearer ones this weekend and I am going to start a photo blog.:biggrin2:

sweetiesflemishbabies10-5-07.jpg

Sweetie10-5-07.jpg
Are flemmies born with hair?

Whooo! Terrific! Love them BLUES! Yes, they are born with enough hair that you an usually tell their color at birth.

Do you have a pedigree for her? If she carries blue, (some blacks do...) crossing her with your steel may result in "off" colors (blue steels,agouti blues, light grays without ring color, etc.- not showable) Doesn't matter if you don't intend to show.... just thought I'd mention it.

My daughter is already asking if they are showable and if can she have one.:rollseyesNo, NO, NOOOO! :p

Latest posts

Back