my 9 rabbits :3

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who would YOU have chosen if you were in that situation? (read my post first)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Maybe she is running to greet you because she is scared and wants to come in. She is a defenseless animal that should be in a safe environment not outside where anything could happen.

Pharfly wrote:
A man was drowning and a boat passed by, he turned them away , "God will save me". A second boat passes and the man turns them away too. The man dies and goes to Heaven. He asks God "Why didn't you save me?" God replies "I sent you 2 boats!"
Maybe God has sent us too help save your bunny?
i was totally thinking of that story when she said that lol

Well, I was trying to stay out of the religion talk (I'll keep my thoughts on religion to myself) but isn't there a saying, God helps those who help themselves?

Aside from that, maybe it's best to wait until you're older for animals. When you can get a job. Tho you are 16 and thats plenty old enough to have a job and have a learners permit for driving.

And I am NOT hiding behind religion. Religion is always on my mind; ALWAYS. If you knew me (and I'm not saying you should), you would know perfectly well that God is at the center of all my thinking and big life decisions. Yes, God does help those who help themselves. And I think that it's true to an extent. I'm helping her; I feed her and give her water. She has shelter in her upturned swing. And my rabbit doesn't live in "constant fear." I see her out there, just resting. She doesn't look like she's scared of her mind. And yes, I've seen my rabbit bolt when she's been startled before. But it's not like she was ever in a threatening situation. She and her littermates were simply jumpy. And what about those wildlife rabbit rehabbers? Are they considered cruel, letting a poor rabbit back into the wild to fend for itself?

No, because that rabbit was born in the wild and has those instincts to survive. The fact that your rabbit is out chilling in your yard means she doesn't. I have never seen one of the wild Jack rabbits truly relaxed because they know they need to spring into action should the problem arise. Those rabbits are not raised as pets, but you raised your rabbit as something in your house. It is completely different. Completely.

I'm just saying that if you really cared, you would be looking out for her well being.

Aaaand that is why I do not like getting into religion.

And theres a very BIG difference between a wild animal and one that has been bred and domiscated by people. A perfectly good example, a wild betta fish has short fins and bland coloring, a betta fish found in store has long flowing fins and bright colors, very impractical for the wilds.

MagPie wrote:
Aaaand that is why I do not like getting into religion.

And theres a very BIG difference between a wild animal and one that has been bred and domiscated by people. A perfectly good example, a wild betta fish has short fins and bland coloring, a betta fish found in store has long flowing fins and bright colors, very impractical for the wilds.
really? i didn't know that. i thought the bland short fin ones were females. or at least thats something i read. >_> lol. but yes.. none of our pets look like the animals they are from in the wild. nothing at all.

yeah Seraphina, male betta fish that we have today have been bred to have those long fins. A lot of selective breeding. I remember one breeder saying that the fins are like wearing a wedding dress to a battle field XD But yeah the females look a lot like wild males. However breeders are getting a lot more color in females now. (as you can see I know way too much about fish haha)

Sorry got off topic.

Feeding a watering a rabbit is not all you need to do. Rabbits are not like plants. They need so much more. They need attention, mental stimulus, toys, protection, climate control, a variety of food, water of course, and just as much health care as a dog or cat. Show your mother this thread. Rabbits are a much more demanding pet than either cat or dog.

Or please, please consider rehoming Brownie. So many rabbits have died, don't let this one lose a chance at a safe, long life. You should be old enough to know better than this. Your mother may be strict but you cannot let neglect occur because she shelters you. You have read books on rabbits, how can you not have this information?

MagPie wrote:
yeah Seraphina, male betta fish that we have today have been bred to have those long fins. A lot of selective breeding. I remember one breeder saying that the fins are like wearing a wedding dress to a battle field XD But yeah the females look a lot like wild males. However breeders are getting a lot more color in females now. (as you can see I know way too much about fish haha)

Sorry got off topic.

lol wedding dress to a battle. and yah i've seen some of the colors. yellow is so unusual looking on them o_O

---

ya know, i was thinking... she's here to do research on rabbit care. Maybe you should show us where you saw that its OK to have a rabbit live unsecured outside. Because you certainly will not find that here...

I do know a lot about rabbits from the books. And knowing all that, I do think she would be happier outside. But I will show my mom this thread, actually.

Agree with what everyone else is saying. You do not need to get defensive here. We all make mistakes when we're learning but there is a huge difference between making a mistake and being careless. You need not to get angry at these people but instead try and learn from what they are saying.

Well, I read it to my mom and she got mad saying that it was my idea to let the rabbit out. Honestly it was, but only because if she's not out, she's stuck in the basement in her cage all day long, and everytime I go see her it broke my heart. Now she's happier where she can explore and run around. When I go greet her now, I'm happy knowing she doesn't feel trapped and sad.

I don't see why you can't enclose the backyard, at the very least, or make her a pen under the swing :/

People can keep their rabbits outside responsibly. It's just, they have to listen to advice from well meaning people on the forum.

I'm with Pharfly. This has to be troll.

Okay fine whatever. You people just don't get it. If I do grab her (and my rabbit doesn't like being picked up, plus the fact that she used to be so aggressive I was scared to let her out of her cage AND stick my hand in the cage), I would damage the solid trust we now have, and then sticking her in a hutch would just damage our bond even more. And now that she has a taste of a "world-wide cage" to just stick her in a hutch seems crueler than what you're making it out to be.

So why not build her a huge hutch? Or, at the very least, make your yard secure. That's not going to stop the birds of prey or cats, but at least it will eliminate cars and gosh only knows what the outside world is going to spring on her. And I mean that literally, that is the very least you can do.

Pharfly wrote:
who cares if she gets mad at you for a few minutes, some food and treats will make her forget about it.

I doubt she would forgive me so quickly... Brownie holds grudges for a LONG time. She became aggressive in the first place because I made a stupid mistake like that. She was so mad for like, 6 months until I regained her trust. Brownie isn't like other rabbits. It's like the reputation saying, but in this case it's trust: "It takes a long time to gain her trust but only a second to ruin it."

Latest posts

Back