Murphy's Very Own Amputation Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz16

Reaction score
I wanted to start a blog for Murphy so that her story can be reference to anyone who has to cross this bridge with their bunny.

Murphy is aprox 4.5 month oldfemale, mixed lop. She came from a pet store from the "feeder rabbit" bin. My friend had gotten her originally but she was unable to handle Murphy and her needs. She had an abcess removed around 7 weeks of age when my friend first got her, but she said it had stuck out more then and a small lump. She never realized it had regrown. The vets originally assumed the splay leg was caused by the abcess-which is true.

She was taken to vets last weekend and treated for her eyes, they thought debris might be stuck in them. She didn't get xrays that time. Well she came back to me Fri the 8th. Her eyes were crusty at the front and the fur tearstained and her third eye was showing constantly; her nose was also wet and she was wiping it constantly and had dried snot on her inner arms.. I was worried about teeth issues and snuffles. So we went to my vet of choice.

The initial exam showed a URI and he did not see or feel anything teeth related. But her past, he was not surprised itwas a URI. Then he was feeling her shoulder and said the bones felt twisted in theshoulder joint, if you can picture that. Then he had me feel a mass in her armpit area, which was in the armpit area the last abcess was removed. It was about the size of ping pong ball and didn't feel like it was filled with fluid like a gangolian cyst. So the vet aspirated with needle and syringe and looked at it on a slide under the microscope. He said it was a solid abcess, likely filled with an infection. I can't think of the couple he listed off but staph was one of them.

So we began discussing options and that can be read about here....http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=73066&forum_id=16

We decided that amputation would be the best choice long term, so even thoughall of the tissue touching that mass will have to be removed it should prevent another abcess of the infecton coming back. So this will be a full arm amputation.

Exam fee: 39$
Fine needle aspiration: 25$
Baytril antbiotic injection: 10
20mg/ml Oral Baytril in Syrup: 21$ (14 day supply)
Total: 95.50$
I applied for a carecredit card awhile back for emergencies and it came in handy. 6 months no interest, deal. Was approved for over 3g so at least the money isnt a huge concern coming up with enough atm.

I was going to try injectng it but she screamed when he had me do it in the office so I thought that would be more traumatizing and she licks it off the syringe now,cherry flavored! If only it worked that good for kids.

After Murphy's URI cleans up she will go in for her surgery. She has to be healthy before surgery to give her the best chance.

I was quoted 250-450. He has never done a rabbit amputation but has done spays and nueters. But he's worked with all sorts of livestock, exotics, andpets;and did 4H and I am more confident in him than the others I called who said...well around blabla and I would have to research the amount of anthsia blabla......blabla....bla...

I have been cleaning Murphy's eyes daily and their getting better, and also adding a few drops of visine via vet's recomendation.

She is still eating, so that's good. I give the .5cc of Baytril in the afternoon so she doesn't get an upset stomach and its working good. Freefeeding hay and pellets, no treats, though. Going to pick up some alfalfa hay; (using mixed brome/timothy/alfalfa/grass currently).

Her stools were very loose this AM and all on her butt so had to trim her hair and wash her but then some more trimming to hopefully prevent her fur getting nasty. I'd really like to shave her, but no clippers. Poo. She also got moved into the dining room and penned under the desk. She lays on hubby's feet while he plays video games lol. She's not very fond of me atm and thumps at me while I sit in here typing.

Will keep updating as needed and will try to get some pics uploaded later.

I will definitely need to be following this thread. When Flynn dislocated her hip and I thought I might need to amputate her leg, should the FHO not work (There was a risk of her losing all use of her leg, in which case I would have had it amputated) so it would be good for me to learn about it through this thread.

Hopefully this all works out well for Murphy and yourself. I've heard that rabbits adapt surprisingly well to only having three legs. I remember seeing this video where a rabbit had it's leg gone for a day and it was already bouncing around.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOcTofpyDLM[/ame]

Amanda hopefully it doesnt come to an amputation for flynn!

This is all new for me. Never had a special needs pet. I know 3 legs are not much diffrrent from 4, but i figured ill have to clean her ear for her and face, but if i can hopefully bond her with they boys and they can pamper her like a lady should be!

Gave some pedialyte earlier to keep her hydrated from the smooshy poop, not diereha just not solid. May look into some critical care, needa look into something to boost her immune system too. Cant hurt to be overly prepared.

Thanks, though, everyone. Its consolation to me more than her, lol but the knot in my stomach is untying

Suggest looking into wheat grass. It really helps stimulate their appetite and also helps their digestive system. Also has trace minerals in it that is good for bunnies.

Helped Kreacher and Neville over their illnesses. I believe in it.

Think it could help Murphy and be a benefit. Because a bunny can't stop eating. It's real cheap and you can grow in a milk carton if you have to. Right on the windowsill.

You are in ZRabbits thoughts.

K:)

I think I may go with the critical care...i couldnt even keep the grass alive i was growing on the patio. i partly blame the cats for lying on it though.

Today...well this morning. Murphy has been a lot more active than usual. I let her out and she roamed the apartment while i showered and got ready, she didnt make it too far though. Now shes back in her pen and she keeps jumping in the cat box -.- i just got all the nasty poops and stuff outta her fur!!! Must be cooler in there though

Ignore the mess, I was gone for the weekend and hubby was home alone. No one to pick up after him.

She ran into the kitchen, must have been cool :)
6103.jpg

6104.jpg

610.jpg

And the picture shows all the stains I will have to clean up today...she goes in the box mostly but I think those are from yesterday with the wet poo on her butt...wooo vinegar and baking soda...maybe some dawn too :)
IMG_0002.jpg

I don't think I've seen pictures of her before...SO GORGEOUS! I hear you on the stains. I have a carpet shampooer with a hose attachment that's good for getting out stains. I want to get one of those handheld pet ones though. Much easier to lug around.

Very cute, all stretched out on the cool tile.

If you DO want to give growing wheat grass a try, you can just buy a package of wheat at a grocery or health food store. What you don't sprout, you can cook up & serve as hot cereal or cold in a salad. In summer I cook it up after supper & then eat it cold for breakfast with cinnamon & a little sugar.

What a sweetie. Glad to hear she's more active. She looks so cute stretch out like that. Definitely soaking up the coolness from the floor.

Thanks so much for sharing. Thoughts as always from ZRabbits!

K:)

The day i find a decent hand model that cleans stains decently....lol. for now vinegar and baking soda, the scrubbing with dawn works well enough. Lil elbow grease...goes a short way haha

Orlena, idk of any holistic store nearby...google! Ill have to look into it. But like i said..i couldnt keep grass alive ): lol

Nothing much to update, she gets excited about oral meds..shes a chunk! Eats everything!!

I feel bad chuckling when she jumps on the boxes and falls off or face plants when she steps on her bad leg. Lol but its so funny. I go to take a video and she just sits there blah!

My Pidge has a malformed leg; it's her right front one. It curls to her chest. She's pretty fast though - she surprises me a lot!

I'm glad your chunky monkey :p is doing better!

Lol omg here i was thinking pidge was original! Hes a charecter in voltron! Lol pidge, pidge! And podge! Love your little pidge but that fur..oh my i couldnt do it. Murphys i have to brush and cut to keep clean!!

Do you know why her leg is malformed? I wouldnt go this far if the abcess wasnt thrre, but the idea of it growing and being full of infection bothers me.

She has a vet appointment this coming Tuesday; I'll know more then. I know her breeder noticed it early and tried to set the leg thinking it might be a regular break. The set didn't work. Pidgey is also half the size of her siblings. She fits in the palm of my hand. Doesn't weigh much over a pound I'd say. My ferrets feel heavier.

I got "Pidge" from Lady and the Tramp. The Tramp was always calling Lady Pidge. :p

I think all the steps you're taking are valiant. I would be bothered by a regrowing infection too.

I feel so bad for her and I know if it was me I would be a wreck.

I have a Spot Bot that does a great job on cleaning messes including stains. My dog has a goofy stomach and I'm so happy to have it as I seem to use it from him once a month, sometimes more. With the stains it can be set over the stain, placed on manual and it does the work while you get something else done.

Good luck with her, I'm wishing you two the best!

Latest posts

Back