Murphy's Very Own Amputation Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fuzz16 wrote:
Orlena, idk of any holistic store nearby...google! Ill have to look into it. But like i said..i couldnt keep grass alive ): lol

When I'm away from Chicago, as I am half the year, I get such things from vitacost.com. They have good dried fruit as well [for me more than for Honey]. And I get my probiotics there as well.

The other option for wheat, is what my parents did before there were stores that sold wheat berries: when you see someone harvesting wheat, give them a small bag & a $5 or whatever [I'm sure it wasn't $5 back then].

Ill have to look into it a bit more, see if i can find some already grown :)

So today...murphy smells horrible. Like a stinky goat lol dk if its the fur or what. But oh my hes about to get a baking soda dust bath or something!

Sitting on the couch watching reel stealwith the kindle while girls nap. Murphy chews on it, i turn her nose and go no. Her big butt jumps on it creating words and opening programs -.- well she nudges my hand like adog does, sticking her head under my hand. Murphy is so not a bunny.

O and whenever someone pets her shell lick whatevers closest and just keep licking until you stop petting.

Oh and pagiel im kinda lucky i got her not really emotionally attached but knowing she needed vet care. Its hard not liking a bun who is a cuddler. Always a treat

Murphy's favorite time of day: Meds time!!! I cluck and she comes running!

Murphy's favorite hiding spot: The litter box or right in front of it -.-

Murphy's favorite pass time: tantalizing Sebi and Pidge

Murphy's thoughts on a litter box: It holds her hay but not worth the effort jumping in

Murphy's favorite game: Follow the dog

Murphy's best attribute: Her floppy ears

Lol...couldn't help myself. This girl is suuuch a goof. No bunny toys for her, she likes the kids' balls and baloons nudging them around!
Her nose hasn't cleared up still so going to do this last week of antibiotics, if that doesn't work, vet wants to go stronger *sigh* So surgery has been put off another week. Her leg is twisting worse too so I feel like I really made the right decision.

Ears make good eye covers...
6122.jpg

She runs like a seal mwahahaha, I am glad she doesnt bark like one, too!
6172.jpg

Better luck next time...she's too fast for me!
6174.jpg

6174.jpg

I are dawg!
6178.jpg

I hide now...
61711.jpg

61710.jpg

(other bunnies are being picture neglected shame on me)

The boys get out in am when kids are calmer, they spend rest of day in dining room, so they get more time out than murphy for running around. And murphy i dont handle till night since shes in qt

Ooooh she is a cutie.

I was able to find wheat grass grown at Savemart. Not sure if you have those in Kansas, but that's where I get mine. I haven't tried growing it yet. Kind of lazy haha.

Poor girl!! She's absolutely beautiful. I'm a big sucker for anything with floppy ears...the bigger the better. haha Her dead bunny flops look like Max's. I hope you're able to get the infection cleared up soon so she can get her surgery!

Thanks :) i thought she was a fuzzy lop..now im thinking mini shes twice sebis size lol

Shes been spending all day behind the bathroom door..everytime i go to pee she looks at me with this irritated look...so i apologized for interupting her and threw out princess. She gave me the butt..i think i may put rhinestones on her litter box

Murphy's scheduled for thursday morning for her surgery. Dr wanted to touch base about possible complications and im glad this was over the phone. Now im more worried about hrr dying from infection than being under.

Murphy is an amazing rabbit, honestly the best ive ever known (sorry sebi). She spends all day free roaming now, even though her litter habits arnt great with pellets! If im in the kitchen so is she. On the comp she goes under the desk by litter box. Bathroom or living room shes in one of those two places.

She isnt afraid of kids or cats, but she doesnt like sound of skillet sizzlin and she hides. Just a moment ago she came up and stood up against the couch begging to be picked up like a teeny dog. She doesnt always make it up when she jumps. This rabbit cuddles more than my dog lol

Murphy chillin behind the bathroom door :)
62311.jpg

Girl has got some ears!!!!
62313.jpg

Helping me clean the dishes...from afar :)
626-1.jpg

Babysitting while I finish up cleaning the kitchen!!!
6263.jpg

6264.jpg

6265.jpg

Murphy's amputation was this morning, vet called after she woke up to let me know how it went.

The abcess was quarter sized around and was growing around an artery, cutting off blood circulation. He said there would have been no way to save her leg and she could have died as she got older and the abcess grew.

But she is eating and handling everything well he said. I will be able to pick her up tomorrow morning. She needs quiet and rest so me and my oldest are going to clean out my closet floor...((which its dirty but thats why closets have doors right?!?))...and make a little home for her. Our room is the quiestest (and smallest) so it's used for sleeping and is always quiet. And hopefully as she gets better shell free roam our room...(safety from monster baby)...then hopefully get her spayed when she is healed and comfortable. Would hate to shove another big surgery on her too soon...well spaying is less big than removing a leg...she doesnt have to grow accostumed to a missing baby maker!!

And then for hallowing maybe ill get one of those cute little birds at hobby lobby and pin it to her shoulder and set her up with an eye patch and wooden leg...arrrgh...o shed make the boys go wild!

Then maybe someday...someday far away...Pidge will accept my therapy invitations and realize he likes her and thats why he gets so mean. Playground love! They tend to viciously argue and bicker between baby gates...very angrily! Not so worried about Sebi,he doesnt seem to interested in anything but sleeping anymore. and the sweets he steals from kids.

and in a morbidly humorous way...my friend said i should keep the foot for good luck. lol..wasnt very lucky for her!

:happyrabbit:

It's great that it has turned out well so far! Keep doing good little one! So, so glad to hear she made it out of surgery and is doing so well already! Must be quite the thing to wake up to, that's for sure.

My hubs and I just started reading this...we both are praying for your darling bun. She really seems like an amazing little rabbit. We had a fairly long conversation about so called "feeder" animals - considering we've rescued our fair share of feeder rats. To see what these animals suffer, its amazing to me that just tacking on the name "feeder" to an animal makes cruelty and neglect and half-witted breeding okay. (end rant)

Anyway, can't wait to see how she's doing after surgery! Its amazing how strong our furred friends can be.

Thanks from her for the support. I got a call a bit ago she is still good And i can pick her up whenever.

I get that snakees eeat too. I have no problem with people breeding and selling gor feeders. But i dont beleive in inhumane breeding practices and i think feeding live is sick and potionally dangerous. Im guessin she was ssold as a feeder due to her abcess.

But anyways...pics of groggy girl when shes home :)

I'm glad it's going well. And it was clear that you made the right decision to amputate.

I'd start with the wooden leg [not really]. The eye-patch & toy parrot would get chewed on.

ya, she is sighing a lot right now and seems happy to be home. i felt bad caging her and shes laying by our bed on the dog bed right now. shes on a lot of pain meds and wakes up only to eat and drink. shes being a pig. ate half a cup of pellets already! shes on antibiotics, too for the next two weeks to prevent the infection that cause the abcess to return. he was very confident in her recovery.

She has no bandage on the surgery site, he wants it to be kept dry and he told me i can clean it with a damp cloth but no neopsorin or anything on it. also to watch for ozzing or redness of course, anything to hint a possible infection.

cost....hubby will never know the cost probably. ill post up cost of everything ina bit, needa be a productive SAHM and fold the 8 loads of laundry i just did (we dont have a w/d in the apartment)

Latest posts

Back